New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 1917 45acp
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you think of this 1917 45acp S&W for a self defense/hikeing/hunting/camping/ etc. weapon?
Looking for comments good or bad...anyone ever shoot one and... what to do if it shoots low/high/wide etc..without a rear adjustable sight,,,also how hard is it to find the 45auto rim ammo & who makes it?This smith looks fun!!Thanks thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be far better than your 44 Magnum of the earlier post! If you can't get 45 AR then standard 45 ACP will work.

I think on these modern versions that you WILL need a half-moon or full-moon clip? I don't know. Certainly on the originals you didn't have to use them for the gun to chamber and fire.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can live with bullets traveling between 700 and 850fps it is ok kind of big and heavy.

I would take the light weigh 44 instead you can load that to what you want. You could easy get a 250 swc out of that at a 1000fps with out hurting it or yourself.

The 45acp or rim isnt' much of a caliber for larger 4 legged critters.

I just saw a article on someone was loading 45 rim ammo again can't remember who but it was 250swc at 700fps.

A good house gun doesn't do anything for me as a carry gun.

But then any gun is better then no gun.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45 auto rim cases aren't to hard to find at all. the 1917 will handle hot hot loads. only 2 questions are - the physical dimensions of the gun are large, making it a bite to carry, and you have fixed sights. OK if they hit where you are pointing but IME few do

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what the others have said. I have the Colt New Service version of the M1917. They are a lot of fun to shoot. I'm considering selling it, if you might be interested, send me a PM.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 55 target and I bought 1000 rds of ar brass when I heard that rumor that they were going to making it was a going round. cast lead worked good in bowling pin matches.couple of buddys whined so I sold down to 500 rds that should last forever since I don't shoot it much anymore

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear BlackBearHunter

Buffalo Bore has .45 Auto Rim + P with a 255 grain hard cast flat nose at 1000 fps. Also a 200 grain jacketed hollow point at 1200 fps.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ind...?l=product_list&c=14

Ammo that is more than 700 fps is available.

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45ACP is great against two legged problems. I carry a 1911 45ACP for a duty handgun.

I was to hunt Elk in Colorado a few years ago and lined up a .44Mag to bring w/me for four legged problem protection.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote