THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any opinions on 3x30 ACOGS for AR defensive situations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to decide which to put on my Bushmaster carbine...2x or 3x. Anyone have any experience with either? Have decided on the amber triangle reticle.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I played with one during a pig hunt I guess I been shooting cross hairs for so long the triangle dosen't do any thing for me.

My buddy miss four pigs in a row because haveing the rifle sighed in at a 100 with the top of the triangle as the aimimg point. Shooting fast at running pigs 50 60 yards away he just put the triangle on and I sure he shot over the top of them.

I seen him kill running yotes, deer, pigs ect. with out trouble. He is avery good shot.

If it had just a plain cross hair I would say it would be a fine scope.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 3 to 4 power ACOGS.

They are a good piece of gear.

Reticle choice is a personal thing.
I prefer a reticle that has the ability for me to make hits at a distance.

For up close high speed work I like the circle over the triangle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For up close high speed work I like the circle over the triangle.

You're the second guy I've talked to who said that. I'll give it some consideration. I just don't want to go to 4 power because I use it around the house and carry it in the truck sometimes. Things would be very close under those circumstances, most likely.

I've used the Eotech 4x doubler on a buddy's Robinson 6.8 and it definitely is too powerful for ten or fifteen feet. I don't like the Eotech, BTW, because of the adjustments you have to make. The ACOG is terribly over priced IMHO because of all the publicity Trijicon is getting from the wars. It should cost somewhere in the $600.00 range and no more. Price is a deterrent to buying it. We're not talking S&B or Zeiss optics here, just a fixed focal length combat scope. Pretty straightforward item.

I may just stick with irons. The rifle shoots one inch groups at a hundred with the battle sight set on 300/600 using Sellier & Bellot 55 grain stuff and I've been shooting irons all my life. The attraction is the illuminated reticle for night work, because that's usually when things go bad in a domestic situation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a "flip to side" magnifyer. May be the "best of both worlds, just keep to side, ready when needed and if no time that 1MOA 100 yds should be just fine.

Not sure what load the missed shots on the pig were, but "the latest" is dead on at 50yds should be w/in an 1" at 100yds.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For "defense" at defensive distances you want more like a ghost ring than an ACOG.

Elk hunts in dense woods at under 100 yds, we use 1.5x to 6x scopes, heavy duplex reticle because that's what we can SEE.

1.5 power allows field of view. You don't want to be searching for a target in an ACOG when you should be sending fire downrange.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupy 1.5-5x20 on my .375 have 1500 rounds or so using it, and have made shots from 20 t0 300 yards with it. I have the #4 reticle and I have considered it, but for low light situations, such as a civil disturbance, inadvertantly encountering a mob scene, (which has happened a few miles from me and resulted in the deaths of two hapless motorists) and close encounteris inside a building, I want something that provides more rapid target aquisition in a scope designed for shooting people up close.

I'm beginning to lean toward the 2x ACOG horseshoe, in green, if I can find one.

quote:
How about a "flip to side" magnifyer. May be the "best of both worlds, just keep to side, ready when needed and if no time that 1MOA 100 yds should be just fine.

I used that with my buddy's EoTech. A 4x flip-to-side optic, but it threw the feel of the rifle completely out. I just don't like them. Personal preference and I'm not much into gadgets. I'd probably fumble the thing when I needed it the most. I prefer the KISS method.
Simple tools for complex situations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Leupold CQT.

I used one for several years on my "M4 Commando" work gun.

At 1X it is good on entry, ie up close, and at 3X it works good to 300 yards for sure.

It has a good illuminated reticle, but is not battery dependent.

It is a pretty good AR sight...

The "glass" is not as good as the ACOG, IMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Been looking at that, and I have had sterling results with Leupold over the years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the set up favored by many 3-Gun shooters Jetdrvr.
Too pricey for me so I use a Aimpoint M2 Comp

http://www.trijicon.com/user/p...ucts1.cfm?PartID=758

Brian Enos has a great site and there is a wealth of info that might give you some ideas

http://www.brianenos.com/forum...d0612b1&showforum=48

For Scopes:
http://www.brianenos.com/forum....php?showtopic=97821

Some of the guys are using off sets for close up work:
http://www.brianenos.com/forum...php?showtopic=100583

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've seen those on the Net for a lot less than list, but they're still too pricy for me. I could see it if you're a serious competitor or have a wad of spare cash. Neither includes me. Thanks for the references.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about a 1X red-dot, Captain? They can be inexpensive. Lots of makers, too. Is your carbine a handle-top or a flatty? Not sure if they can be had to for the handle-top type...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another way to go is with an EO Tec, or an Aimpoint, and a 3x or 4x magnifier on a swing mount.

The magnifier sets behind the red dot.

When working up close the magnifier is positioned to the side.

When you need it you can just either "flip" the rifle, or "flip" the magnifier over with your hand.

Then you can engage targets at longer ranges.

With a 3x or a 4x magnifer it is fairly easy to hit a chest sized target at 400+ yards, IF your gun is sighted in correctly, you know where to hold, and you can shoot.

Same for the Leupold CQT, and the ACOG.

The main advantage for the Leupold CQT, and the ACOG's is that they are NOT BATTERY DEPENDENT.