New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead vs jacketed bullets for practice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up a Ruger Sp101 3 inch 357 for cc.
Was looking to buy some bulk practice ammo to burn up. The lead swc's are considerably cheaper than jacket stuff in the same weight.

I have shot only jacketed ammo before in other rifles and pistols. Any problems using the lead slugs for practice and jacketed stuff for carry?
I am not talking about thousands of round here but envision shooting up 300-500 rds.

Any thoughts good or bad would be appreciated.
Waiting on my Wolf springs and houge grips.

Thanks and Cheers.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading lead wad cutters (500-600) for my 38 sp for some time. So far no problems. Leading has not been an issue.

For the Glock, I am loading plated bullets (Berrys').

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I'd bet that most reloaders are shooting lead more than anything else for practice. For revolvers, I have no doubt.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
How often are you gonna be using 357 rounds compared to 38s? Reason I ask that is because if you shoot lead 38s and don't clean the cylinders good, the buildup at the end of the cylinders from the shorter 38 casings can cause the 357 to not set properly. Happened to me and I mostly shoot lead bullets for practice. Other than that, it's whatever you want.

If you have a semi that doesn't like a lot of lead run through it, meaning the ramp gets too much lead or wax buildup causing jams, then you might want to stay with jacketed.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how often you carry. I generally shoot my carry ammo every six months. I carry a short .357 and practice with .38's, Griz has good advice I clean after every range trip, at least my carry guns. Anyhow, shoot your practice on what ever schedule you are used to but at six month intervals shoot the ammo you've been carrying and replace it with uncarried ammo. It gives you fresh ammo and reminds you what you carry.

There is a lot of debate on how long to carry the same ammo. For a revolver I try to swap it at six months. Though I'll be honest with current prices it has been a little less often. For a semi watch the top round of the mag for set back if you've chambered it more than twice.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. Was thinking I would practice with the lead slugs in either 38 spl or 357....depends on what I can find in stock.

Will watch cylinder build up if using 38's.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
38/357 is some easy stuff to reload. It's all "eyeball" spec., no caliper required.

Get a press, dies and load magnum brass w/ hard lead SWC bullets. That solves your chamber issues, and cuts your ammo cost WAY down.

But 38 Spl lead bullet is OK. Just keep the cylinder clean. Bronze brush and solvent.

Ammo is stable stuff. I have defense ammo that's more than a decade old. Cool, dry storage, and we're good to go.

I have Mauser surplus ammo from Equador, circa 1950's, stored in damp. Water stains on the cardboard boxes. It goes "boom" every time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only handgun I own that does NOT get lead shot in it for practice is my Wildey 45 WM.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, just picked up 250 Speer 38 spl +P 135 gr hp's for 82$ in loose bulk pack from the BVAC outlet here in Missoula. They look like the gold dots...the Speer box is labled " not for LE" and "practice only. Will shoot 'em up.

Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
other alternative is to use plated bullets. cost a little more than lead, but don't lead up the barrel

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of lead stuff in my .45, .41 and .44. Leading is a problem, though. Particularly at higher speeds in the magnums. Kroil works well in getting the lead out.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote