New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm or 40 S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been carrying an Sig P938 for a number of years and as I’ve gotten older I’m finding it harder to manage and control. The problem seems to be its small size. Recently I came across a P239 in 40 S&W and it felt really good and manageable. Also tried a P250 which is really unique as it’s a true DAO, which I also liked. Both guns are in 40 S&W, which I like and believe give me an added advantage over the 9mm. I like hammer fired handguns and bigger bullets. Haven’t found a small 1911 in 40 S&W that’s small and light enough yet.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, there is nothing wrong with the .40.

It does have (minimally) more recoil and objectively lower magazine capacity in a similar sized gun.

While I don’t buy all the 9mm fans statement that the 9 is as good as a bigger bullet, I do think that the differences are very small.

In short, if the .40 feels good to you, then it will work just fine.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried both on the job.

With good bullets both are viable self defense rounds.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My Sig 239 in .40 is a shooter. I should think about carrying it.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got my P938 listed locally for sale and I’m actively searching for a P239 in 40 S&W. I believe it will fit my needs much better than the small 9mm Sig.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well after quite a few leads and online searches, I finally located an Sig P239 in 40 S&W at a very reasonable price. Now I need to find a decent leather holster.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. You will like it. I went with kydex, mainly because I can pop it on and off without removing my belt and stuff. I do prefer leather.

Keep us updated.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hope it works for you Mike. I'm currently running a Smith CSX -- small but slightly chubby; easy for me to shoot reasonably well.
Intrigued by a long castboolits.com thread on loading heavy cast in the controversial .30 Super Carry I found a new Shield EZ for $300 and am just getting familiar with it. sofa
Mold on the way from Accurate, Tom's 31-115H.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I highly recommend Kramer Leather horsehide holsters. They are simply the best holsters I have ever used. I wish I had found them years ago before spending multiple hundreds of dollars on others.

I use their OWB Scabbard which is a pancake style. They are thin and stiff but molded beautifully and the are by far and away the most comfortable OWB holster I have worn. I have them for a steel 1911 Commander and another for a S&W .357 Mod 66. All sharp edges are protected. I am in the process of ordering another for my Sig Sauer P228. I will also be ordering a magazine pouch as well.

The long waiting time is worth it. Excellent products and very nice customer service.

Get the horsehide. It is worth it.

www.kramerleather.com

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I’ve heard good things about Kramer Holsters. I’ll look into them.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net