Find
Notify
Tools

FBI going back to 9mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as them getting new guns this happens every 5 to 7 years as the useful life for most guns in use was well less than 10K rounds. When we had the 226 sigs alot of problems developed around the 5 to 6K rounds

That's what I have seen new guns every 5 to 10 years with lots of factors to consider.

A gun that is carried 8 to 10hrs plus a day gets "used" even if they are not shot a lot.

As a trainer and armorer I have seen guns take a lot of beating just being carried around.

I started out in my career with revolvers and 18 rounds ended up with a Glock and 46 rounds. Good bad or other wise I don't know but its the person behind the gun more then the gun that counts.

My nephew was one of the first air marshals hired after 9/11. they were using sigs in 357 sig he said they were breaking frames around 9000 rounds.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by congomike:
The emphasis today seems to be on "just carry more ammo..... Now if you think about it, the average GI during WWII who carried a Garand had a belt that held, I think, 10 clips of 8 rounds each, plus one in the gun, for a total of 88 rounds.
My point to all this? Many shooters with small to large hands shoot all sorts of single stack, double stack, 45's, 40's, 9mm's etc. during competition. If you ever watch some of the events of IPSC or other similar events on TV, you will see that some of the competitors are of a "stature" that would probably prevent them from making it into the FBI. But just watch them shoot! What gives them the ability to accomplish the speed and accuracy they need to win is PRACTICE.....QUOTE]

Mike, The M1 cloth bandoliers I have (right out of the ammo can) hold 8 clips or 64 rounds, but i do get, and agree with your points...

Just as in hunting animals, shot placement is key.. maybe a bit more critical with a handgun becuase of the time involved, but still the key.

And I think the quote you are looking for is... "Beware the man that owns only one gun, for he likely knows how to use it"

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC rears its' ugly head again.

The issue is not the caliber, it's the unwillingness of the agents to practice; coupled with standards so low (to accommodate women and midgets).

They'll be fine until they get a few killed by felons who are carrying 40's and the training to use them. Then, we'll have another crisis and another round of 40's issued.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My teen aged nieces and nephews don't seem to have any trouble with a 45 auto. Any law enforcement or military personnel that can't shoot anything bigger than a 9mm need more practice or a desk job.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
PC rears its' ugly head again.

The issue is not the caliber, it's the unwillingness of the agents to practice; coupled with standards so low (to accommodate women and midgets).

They'll be fine until they get a few killed by felons who are carrying 40's and the training to use them. Then, we'll have another crisis and another round of 40's issued.

Excepting those who might actually use them (e.g. SWAT teams), the Feds don't like the .45ACP because it is not sexy. They will continue to move from one caliber to another while never duplicating its performance. And they will continue to waste taxpayer dollars doing it.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a retired cop from New York, I have seen first hand (probably?) hundreds of gunshot victims, both dead and alive.

I think that I might have commented here before but I will say again that I would be happy to carry a 9mm, 40, or 45ACP for self defense...using top grade loads in each.

I have seen people shot dead with single 22cal to the chest and I saw first hand a suspect return fire after taking a 12ga Slug to the chest.

I carry a Glock23 with a 9mm conversion barrel because it recoils less than the 40 with less blast and it has gone over 1,000 rounds of assorted ammo without a malfunction. I carry it more for this reason than for caliber preference.

My load is 124gr Speer Gold Dots.

Just my 2 Cents

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote