THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you dilligently train with your wife/girlfriend?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
Mine does shoot with me, though not very often. I must say I've dropped the ball on this one. What are the odds that I'm gonna be there to defend her?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
Mine likes to handle my "gun" rotflmo

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
if that's the standard you're using, I shoot my wife all the time. Wink

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, BOTH of them. Big Grin

Just not at the same time.

Just kidding.

My wife is a hunter, and a good shotgun/rifle/handgun shooter.

She carries a 44 Mag when in the field.

She has killed a lot of game, including bear and cape buff.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've just started working with her about 6 month ago, and it has been a learning experience for both of us.

First we tried a S & W 642, (.38 with wadcutters)but the trigger pull was too heavy to shoot with any accuracy. She also said the recoil was like getting smacked in the palm of the hand with a ruler.

Next we switched to the Ruger Mark II .22 to learn the basics. Sight alignment, basic gun safety and handling, and cheap practice.

Last time out, we moved on to the Glock 19. This has possibilities. Recoil and trigger pull were more tolerable than the .38sp.

One small step at a time.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
took my g/f to the range saturday... she had owned rugers and kimbers in the past, but sold them off.... i took a various arsenal for her to shoot... 2 colt auto's both 45's, a combat commander and a gov't model... a rock island armory .38 super, a tarus .44 special, 2" revolver with bobbed hammer, a smith & wesson 29 , 4" blue, a smith 59 9mm, and a smith airweight hammerless .38 special... her first shots were with the smith 59 at 3 yds, and she did good... 10 shots in a pattern on a 8x11" sheet of paper.... her groups quickly settled down to 2-3" as she got more comfortable.... i let her shoot the .44 special, she didnt like revolvers....changed her mind after shooting the smith 29 with 44 special loads.... still a 2-3" group....i loaded some full house loads (240 gr winchester lubaloy) and she did well...she didn't care for my colt's... 45's were too heavy.... now we're looking for her a concealed auto... 1 of the beretta's maybe...in 9mm or .380... i was really proud of the way she shot, no bad habits and no prec-conceived notions about recoil....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
now we're looking for her a concealed auto... 1 of the beretta's maybe...in 9mm or .380... i was really proud of the way she shot, no bad habits and no prec-conceived notions about recoil....

Same here fella.
My wife just went through a personal protection pistol class. She carries my S&W 642 in vehicle, but after shooting my Beretta 92FS she took a strong liking to it. And shoots very well with it. Now she wants one. dancing And better yet, she can take it apart and clean it just as good as I would.

Told her she'd have to get her own though. She not getting mine. shame

I would rather she get something a little smaller than a full size, so I'll have to do some looking around.

Too bad she doesn't like the Colt 45s, but after seeing what the 9mm Winchester Ranger and Federal HST can do, I feel better about her carrying it. thumb

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, we don't need to "train" -- we can actually do it.