THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW- carry ideas and gun suggestions ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had my CCW, let it lapse (partially because I'm an idiot, partially because at the time my county was the only one in CA that required you to carry a gun that was on the approved list, and mine weren't) but am going to apply again and am hopeful I'll get one.

I have two guns that I plan to put on the permit (It looks like I'll have space for three). an Armi-Galesi 25 auto, I know, tiny holes, but remember, if it gets carried it's better than anything that doesn't. nice thing about it is it's very little and can drop in my pocket etc. not the fanciest, but was free.

other is a taurus 38 ultra-lite.

previously I did have a 38 ultra-lite (my particular model wasn't on the list) and carried it in one of those fanny packs. however fashion wise....

So here are my first two questions.

1. for the 25 in our horrible summer weather, I was thinking one of those bands that goes under the shirt around the stomach/midriff area, I've seen them in magazines. how are they? other ideas?

by the way, ankle holsters are completely out, I don't bend well enough to make that happen fast.

2. the 38, carry ideas? I'd like an option that would also work when I'm wearing a shirt and tie and my shirt is of course tucked in. I used to keep it in my laptop bag and lock it in my desk when I got to work. kept the bag weak side back and forth and in passenger seat in the car.

Now, to gun suggestions....

I'm debating, another CC gun, or put a full size on the permit for when I'm traveling? If I go full size I don't need to buy another gun, just decide which one to list.

if I go with another CC would want something with more juice than either the 25 or 38, and hopefully something I could get under 800 (the further under 800 the more likely I am to get it) and light. not some steel monster.

ideas I've toyed with: the glock 45acp single stack, a compact 40 of some sort, and for some reason I really like the idea of a snub 44sp. charter arms looks cheapest, but I don't know the quality. s&w makes one that's pricier but I'm sure is very good.

If it matters, outside of work I wear my shirts un-tucked, weather in the winter allows for jackets, but summers suck ass and are hot.

thanks ahead of time for the input.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am AMAZED that guys are skipping on a chance to recommend their favorite guns, praise 1911's, knock glocks etc. Am I in the twilight zone? Big Grin

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any gun is better then no gun over the last 33 plus years I have carried every thing for 25 cal size autos to mini 5 shot 22 revolvers to full size 44 mags.

Now I carry 95% if of the time a glock 23. I really been thinking of one of the Khar autos they offer good calibers in small packages.

The really small glocks don't do anything for me. A 2inch revolver is high on my list.

No gun ever fit every situation that one runs into.

I carry my 23 in a fanny pack when I can't cover it up some how.

I have use a belly band still do some times.

Get the best you can buy with a good shirt hiding a 23 sized auto with on is easy. They are a bit slow but beats leaving your gun home.

Hot weather carry is a pain and harder if one has to look neat. Other wise a untucked Tee or other shirt will hide a lot.

Its winter now here I could hide my M4 on a good sling and no one woudl be the wiser.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine uses the belly band and loves it. As for CC with a tucked in shirt, how about this? You can tuck your shirt over it enough that it looks normal.
http://www.usgalco.com/Holster...tID=3913&CatalogID=7

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Check out:

Crossbreed holsters (Spring fld MO) and Andrews Custom, (Alachua FL)

Elastic/deep cover stuff is mighty slow, but if you must hide something away, then I suppose they work.

I tried a t-shirt thingy once (gun under armpit)-needed to wear two G27s in order to walk in a straight line-seems the higher you wear your gun, the more they affect your "affect"....

Yes, I sometimes look like a "contractor" in a safari vest and cargo pants and hiking boots, but then again, I am, of sorts....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me chime in about being outraged that CA (of course) has a "gun list" for CCW.

Last time I read Article II, there was no "from the approved list" clause. You're legal to carry (permit). The state has no "say" in what you're legal to carry, so long as it's a lawful firearm.

Damn I'm glad I have permits in two states which don't "list" guns and "require" qualification. I have a permit. I can carry whatever I see fit -- Long guns excluded, but even they're legal in a vehicle with a CCW.

Since you're limited --

I like the 5" bbl. "Tactical" Springfield XD in 45 ACP. 13+1 capacity. It's a "stand-off" class handgun.

9mm polymer guns are getting good these days. There are numerous options. Small, light, ample capacity.

Carry in the office, at work. I had a "folio" case, leather, open top. I'd slide the gun in and "conceal" with the day's newspaper.

I have a "day pack" laptop bag now, with a "gun pocket." That works well for situations where I need to remove my jacket, vest.

I like a .357 snub Smith & Wesson Mod. 60 in a Galco pancake, under a long shirt (sweatshirt/sweater).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Sig 229 in 357 Sig. with Al. frame.
Accurate as hell.
Used by Air Marshals and the USSS.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WV3568
posted Hide Post
I have used a belly band with my smith air weight in the past and it's worked very well.

Posts: 75 | Location: South Charleston, WV | Registered: 13 May 2006Reply With Quote