THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have You Ever Actually Practiced Presentation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Presentation --

Do you know for sure you can reach your gun and get it out of whatever you decide pack it in?

How about one armed (when someone has grabbed you)? Can you get past the shirt, coat, vest, trucker's wallet and chain (???), or whatever it is you're wearing?

Ayoob talks about practicing presentation. He teaches that you should be able to get at your gun without thinking about it, no fumbles.

Weak arm parry if necessary. Do you need two hands to get past the clothing?

Turn to the side to present a smaller target to your perp. Weak arm for parry. Keep the weapon in a position where it won't be grabbed away.

Muzzle flash. Are you going to get powder burns from holding close in to your body, blast in the face, eyes? (I think muzzle brakes are a bad idea.)

Practice, practice, practice.

Make sure when you reach for your weapon, you don't come up with a fist full of sweater, get your arm wrapped up in your jacket.

And finally -- When practicing presentation, best in front of a mirror, you need to draw and POINT. If you "draw and fire" you'll reflexively fire in a stress situation.

That may seem like a good idea, reflexively firing . . . but firing should be a conscious decision, not a reflexive action.

At least according to Ayoob. Opinions differ.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
How do you think this hole got in my boot?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched some hot shot at the handgun range toss his Glock full length of the range. "Fast Draw" and he didn't get a grip on the grip. animal

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I would have to say the the ankle holster would be one of the hardest to get to.

But then again my wife digging through her purse would have to top the list for longest draw time. Roll Eyes

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
doing IDPA or USPSA league shooting will help most everybody

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't think that concealed carry is about fast draw at all. It is about drawing when they ain't looking! IDPA is certainly a good approximation but is certainly NOT the way I concealed carry.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
0X0;

Good point about presentation w/o breaking the trigger-needs to be taught much more thani it is. Shoot/np shoot targets in IDPA/practical enforce this conscious thought process.

Practice is most important-develops muscle memory and sureness-which I think is more important that speed in most cases.

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Yes, I practice presentation. I also practice fouling the other guy's attempt, too.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I practice presentation along with different positions. The wife and I also practice together. We practice clearing the rooms in the house together. We have protocols set for how I shoot over her in bed since my side of the bed is close to the wall and hers is by the door and she prefers the shotgun under the bed to the pistol.

I don't believe all of what Ayoob says, but he has some validity. For example, why would you present a small target by turning sideways to try to retain a gun the perp shouldn't have even seen yet? If you turn sideways, you just limit your ability to move, attack or counter an attack. I believe everyone should train in a hand-to-hand type of combat as well. That training may allow you time to get to your gun, which is the objective. We both train as martial artists as well as gun training. I think they are both useful.

Like someone said, you use hand-to-hand to get to the pistol, to get to the real firearm, the rifle.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noooooo, "turn sideways" the same way a boxer turns sideways in the ring. So you're not presenting a square target to the perp, AND you have your weak arm forward where you can parry.

Side stance also puts your strong leg behind you for balance if you get into a shoving match.

It's not about "fast draw." It's about not reaching for your gun and coming up with a fist full of jacket. I've talked to too many people who have never actually tried to get at their gun except to put it away at the end of the day.

-- and then there's the guy who tossed his Glock full length of the range. Damn! I'm glad Glock has an interlock on the linkage!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't even began to count the thousands of times.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Masaad Ayoob? Really?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I practice at the range whenever no one is there.

At least once a month I practice presentation an live fire exercise. Again, all by myself at the range in case of an accident.

And yes, early on I did toss my little revolver down range once. And I did shoot a hole in my jacket once. Those are the kind of things you have to work through and it is best alone rather than scaring the pew-waddings out of your fellow shooter ;-)

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Masaad Ayoob? Really?

Not the guy who tossed the Glock. Ayoob has a book out, "Combat Handgunnery." Also some other titles, "In The Gravest Extreme."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reverenddan:
I practice at the range whenever no one is there.

At least once a month I practice presentation an live fire exercise. Again, all by myself at the range in case of an accident.

And yes, early on I did toss my little revolver down range once. And I did shoot a hole in my jacket once. Those are the kind of things you have to work through and it is best alone rather than scaring the pew-waddings out of your fellow shooter ;-)

I've seen people like you shoot themselves in the leg, crotch, kidneys . . .

You don't "present" with your finger on the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does "these are my two Ridgebacks Pete and RePete..." count?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ayoob has a book out. Wow.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what if I don't have a weak side? Big Grin

I'm just now going to try to get my CCW again, and should never have let it lapse. I did practice before when I carried, but will admit that single handed with a jacket would probably be trouble. I need to experiment with different carry positions.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
I stand in front of a mirror and say "Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?" Wink

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I taught my 3.5yo daughter to make a gun with her hand and say "do you feel luck? well, do you?!" I left off the punk part. it's always a hit.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote