Find
Notify
Tools

Smith & Wesson model 39?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen:

I have my eye on a fine condition Smith & Wesson model 39 autopistol. It will be solely for concealed carry/defense, probably with 115 or 124gr. standard pressure or +P ammo, whichever it likes best.

I have heard that earlier models had ejection problems.
Is that true, and is there a manufacturing series-2 0r -3 that is better than others? Not the ones with the sight deeply machined into the slide, please!
Alternatives are the Ruger SR9, CZ 75, and/or the Browning Hi-Power "detective", with the shorter barrel.

What advice would you give? Thank you.

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had both a -39 and a -59.

While they were both remarkably accurate, both gave me problems. I don't recall their serial numbers or 'dash' #s, but IIRC the 39 had ejection hiccups and the 59 would latch the slide open whenever it felt like it. Both were a joy to carry however, and if I'd had access to a decent pistol smith in those days I'd have made a good effort to have them corrected. There was no such 'smith available to me, sadly, so they got traded away with no small regret. I especially missed the -59; that one would really shoot!

I later used a regular Hi-Power (one of the Belgian ones) which was not as nice to carry nor as accurate, but it gave 100% reliability.

Other favorites were both standard and lightweight Colt Commanders in .45 ACP. Nice to carry, 100% reliable and respectably accurate. I personally preferred the steel one.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I own a 39-2. I have barely shot it, but have never had problems when I did. If I was packing a gun of this size--- I'd pick somehing else. Its the same size of a colt 1911 which gives alot more power with a .45acp. Or if you are a 9mm fan, you can carry a browing hipower or glock that gives at least double ammo capacity in the same size arm.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early 39 ejectors could set off a loaded round when being extracted. It happened to a deputy sheriff at the range I was running in the mid 1970's. He got a nasty cut on his right thumb but no serious injuries. I understand the problem was recognized and fixed by S&W but I would want to make sure my 39 did not have the dangerous ejector. I always like the way 39's felt and shot.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the frist and 2nd gen 39's ect had trouble they didn't pass the army tests for a reason. I found the 3rd gen to be good pistols I have had a 3913 now for 20 plus years shoots good goes bang when I pull the trigger.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote