New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP Thompson or BAR...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For fun discussion, and without starting any Hatfield or McCoy Fueds...

I reciently saw a movie on John Dillinger...

The "bad" guys had Thompsons with 50 and 100 round drums, sometimes when the drums ran out they reloaded with 20 round stick magazines...
And some bad guys had 30/06 BAR's...

Same for the Law Enforcement people...

So my 2 questions to you are...

If, you are the Bank Robber which do you prefer???

If you are the "Cops" which do you prefer???

And WHY???

Remember, this is just for fun discussion...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'll bet not too many have carried a Thompson with a fully loaded 100 round drum, they weigh a lot. So do BAR's, but a Thompson with a 20 or 30 round straight magazine would be the most maneuverable, in a very relative way, and probably a lot faster in close quarters.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the early 1927A-1 semi-autos Auto-Ordnance put out in the early 1980s. Nice gun. I was an idiot to sell it. It weighed thirteen pounds with a loaded 30-round stick magazine. A hundred-round drum would probably weigh another five pounds.

A bandit would probably prefer the stick for ease of handling, what with jumping in and out of those Model A Fords. A cop would probably prefer the drum for sustained firepower once they caught up to Bonnie and Clyde...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming the role of the criminal:
Thompson for going in and out of banks with 50 round drum and several 20 round mags in a bag. With a two person team, the objective is to get in and out fast.

BAR for in the car and in the hide out. The cars back then had thicker steel. The 45ACP had issues penetrating cars when it hit at odd angles.

As the cops:
You are almost always caught on the defensive. You carry a 1911, and lock a BAR and shotgun and bolt rifle in the vehicle. The 1911, because it is small and light enough to ALWAYS have it. the BAR in case you end up in a pitched battle (or you think you will use it in a vehicle chase). Bolt rifle, because if you get a chance to take a precision shot you will need it.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well - bar's always work, but many of the drum mags on a thompson don't. other than that thompsons are very reliable too. many of the villians of that era carried bar's as did the guys with white hats. they were cheaper and more obtainable than the very expensive thompson

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Clyde Barrow preferred the BAR, certainly an awesome weapon with tremendous firepower.

http://texashideout.tripod.com/guns.html

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
BAR with armor piercing for shooting up the cars chasing you.

Posts: 5704 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
BAR with armor piercing for shooting up the cars chasing you.

My understanding, from what I have read, is that is precisely why Clyde Barrow liked it, with armor piercing bullets it would shoot right through an engine block.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That shotgun looks like a Browning. Is it?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:

Browning designed it.
Sold the design to Remington.
Remington was making it at that time.
Then Browning (the company) started making them.

So....Yes it is a Browning Design, but it was made by Remington.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
quote:

Browning designed it.

Precisely, Remington Model 11. Clyde obviously had fine taste in firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an AK-47, w/ Bulgarian 75 rd. drum mag. That's the "Goldilocks Compromise" between the two. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone on the forum must have knowledge of guns used in the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya.That was serious SD when you NEVER were without a gun !!
IIRC the 45acp was a favorite in a 1911 or Thompson. Anyone remember ?

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
quote:

Browning designed it.

John M Browning sold the patent to FN of Belguim the Rem M-11 was made on license of the Browning patent but Rem did not own the patent, parts were not interchangable between the Browning and Rem. FN manufactired the guns sold under the name Browning

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Thompson for robbing banks and the BAR for
most everything else.

Chasing criminals I would take the BAR.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For anything but actual robbery (due to concealability, and I use the term very loosely) the BAR has it all over the Thompson which has a high rate of non-selective fire, usually a very poor trigger and limited range.

At gun fight range both work, with the clear edge going to the Thompson due to lighter wt (and again I use the term "lighter" very loosely, a Thompson, even with a 20 round magazine is like carrying a junior boat anchor around) and more maneuverabilty but for anything else take the BAR and kill the Tommy gun carriers before they can get into range. Frankly, at real gunfight range, a trained guy with a 1911 would easily kill both of the automatics, given an even draw.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo

I see your modern Logical thinking.

And I am a confirmed 1911 freek.

But I have also shot a Thompson [and a BAR] quite a bit as well.

NOTHING avialable back in the day, hand held, had as much "firepower" up close as a Thompson with a 50 or 100 round drum.

For vehicle suppression, cover busting, the 30/06 BAR with AP was Supreme as well.

That is all I will say, till I give my choices... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really hard to use all that firepower UP CLOSE when you've got a couple of .45 holes in you chest and head. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote