New
Find
Notify
Tools

Other "Stuff"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of the first things the CCW instructor impressed on our class was: "You are NOT some sort of LEO with this permit. Get that out of your head entirely."

I bring this up because I've seen posts on some other sites (The Firing Line) where people pack more gear on their "duty belt" than the US Army carries into a fire fight.

OK, I own Smith & Wesson, Mod. 100 stainless, double locking handcuffs -- because they were in the showcase along with some other really cool items, and I had the cash in my pocket. I don't carry them on me, but they're in the glove box. Who knows when "restraints" might come in handy?

Used to carry a "tactical" knife -- large, lock blade Kershaw. But these days I opt for a "Husky" utility knife with box cutter blades, because I don't have to worry about how I treat it. The Cold Steel site convinced me that I don't want to get into a "knife fight" and if I do, I want a HEAVY, fixed blade at least 6".

Sprays out out. I watched a Native in Kenai nearly kill an LEO with a bar stool after he was sprayed with the "new" Mace (1969). If I can use a spray, I can probably get away too.

Tasers -- If I'm justified using a taser, I'm good to go with 45 ACP.

Batons -- If I'm justified using a baton, I'm good to go with a 45 ACP.

Back-up Gun -- If I need a "back-up" it's because they killed me while taking away my 45 ACP.

I like to keep a long-gun in the vehicle, when I'm out in remote areas.

-----------------------------

Memorial Day Weekend. Let's not forget why it's a holiday. But also, no drinking and driving, let's not get stupid, eh?

As you were -- Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't forget your instructors warning. cuffs are a restraint and if you use them you're on the firing line for the lawyers

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't forget that the whole CCW thing is rooted in the context of personal defense. Various groups opposed to permissive CCW are compiling cases they believe show a trend toward CCW holders going beyond the concept of personal defense.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
And don't forget that the whole CCW thing is rooted in the context of personal defense.

Exactly right

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
don't forget your instructors warning. cuffs are a restraint and if you use them you're on the firing line for the lawyers

Cuffs are best left in the bedroom Wink

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

Cuffs are best left in the bedroom Wink

That's what I'm saying. Sometimes she has me stay over at HER place. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WLS:

Come on man, you know the rules. Staying all night? No way. Unless, of course you wake up to the smell of coffee, bacon and toast. Then, and ONLY then, is it okay to stay. A shower, a quick bite of breakfast, and you're downrange.

Period.

Guys like you just make it harder on the rest of us.

Geez.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nooooooo, I get up in the morning, fix her breakfast, lay out her wardrobe while she showers and gets ready for work. Then she leaves for work, and I do the breakfast dishes, anything left over from the night before, make the bed, clean up the bathroom, and vacuum.

Sometimes I go out in the garden, pick some flowers and arrange them on the coffee table, leave her a note.

-- because not all of us are Luddites. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I guess that's OK as long as you don't put on her clothes while she's gone....

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I guess that's OK as long as you don't put on her clothes while she's gone....

Pssssssst -- I got a bridge in New York City I can make ya such a deal on!