New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's In The Vehicle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I decided a while ago that a short shotgun or carbine in the vehicle just wasn't practical. Mostly I have to get out of the vehicle to get at it, because it's behind the seat (truck), or in the back seat (sedan).

Opted for the Springfield XD "Tactical / Compact" 5" bbl. 45 ACP, two mags 13 rd and 10 rd. and a Glock GTL 21 laser.

So I have basically 25 rds (half box) 45 ACP in two mags, the option for more mags, and a laser "point/shoot" sighting system.

5" bbl. gives the ballistic edge. Laser makes it "point/shoot" like a shotgun. But it's WAY smaller than a shotgun, and easier to access. Higher capacity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I travel I have a second handgun like my primary carry gun, which is either a 1911 or a S&W 44 Mag.

I always have a rifle of some kind readily accessible inside the vehicle. I also have several extra magazines/speedloaders for all [or if I am using my Winchester 44 Mag Trapper "loose" rounds for it in a loop belt or a "draw string bag" that I can slip in my pocket, it also has a butt stock shell carrier.

Running short of ammo is not a possibility for me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're missing the point.

I can put a couple RPG's in the trunk. But a high-cap 45 ACP semi-auto, w/ a laser sight is hard to beat for access and defense.

I have the option of a couple 1911's a Smith 629, Rem. 870, AK-47, lever 30-30, lever 44 mag, Garand.

High cap handgun, w/ laser -- 45 ACP. Trumps all this stuff.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Nuthin'. It's on me.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Model 29 makes a great truck gun.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
You're missing the point.

I can put a couple RPG's in the trunk. But a high-cap 45 ACP semi-auto, w/ a laser sight is hard to beat for access and defense.

I have the option of a couple 1911's a Smith 629, Rem. 870, AK-47, lever 30-30, lever 44 mag, Garand.

High cap handgun, w/ laser -- 45 ACP. Trumps all this stuff.

I did not miss the point, I was agreeing with you, but I still add the long gun.

Lasers are a great addition to any defense gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK -- some days I'm more cogent than others. Mostly I like not having to reach behind the seat to get a long gun.

If I can't take charge of the situation w/ 25 rds of 45 ACP, a full size 5" bbl, and a laser, it's time to think about driving away . . . because they're out of range, and so am I.

Did you catch "The Armed Citizen" in American Rifleman this month? Some prowler dislodged the screen on the window and stuck his head through -- catching both barrels of a 12 gauge. Dead at the scene.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
------ but I still add the long gun.
Lasers are a great addition to any defense gun.

Always thumb

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drive a ford f-350 pickup

I hunt, and due to the nature of my business I encounter both two and four legged varmints.

So, this is what is in my truck tonite. I'm traveling lite by usual standards.

I have a big sky rack overhead and have a 45-70 guide gun and 12 gauge defender pump ensconsed therein

amt 380 back-up in the console

Glock 35 long slide in 40.S&W in fanny pack

Ruger LCP, 380, in fanny pack

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I consider my 10mm handgun to be effective at close range against nearly anything, especially in my hands, but even so I regard it as something that I can hold onto (rather than holding onto my dick) until I can reach a more powerful long gun.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I carry the Glock 19 or one of my many
snubby .38's in the car.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

Glock 17, 19, 20. FNP9, Taurus 85UL
S&W 60, 66, 686, 40, Model 36 Chief's Special
AZ Desertrat is offline Reply With Quote

Posts: 9 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: 21 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smith 57 or an AR, or both. I like that Sky Rack. Will that work in an F-150?

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
22/45 Ruger in the glove box with extra mag and S&W 329 in the seat pouch with 2 speed loaders.
I box of ammo for each in the center console.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote