Find
Notify
Tools

I need help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Here is the situation. I want to CC useing a SOB holster. Here lies the problem. I have Arthritis in my shoulders and when I reach behind my back (with the plam of the hand toward the back) the pain is excruciating. If I reach behind my back with the palm FACING the back; as in tucking in your shirt tail I am fine.
Does anyone make a right hand SOB holster where the pistols grip is UP rather than down? I scoured the www & can't find anything.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
Does this help? I'm a little unclear. Does it hurt when you reach with knuckles touching your back or away from back?

http://www.usgalco.com/Holster...ductID=2459&GunID=39

or something kinda like the MOB IWB?

http://www.usgalco.com/Holster...tID=3859&CatalogID=7

PS I'm not too far from ya. I've worked in Jennings a number of times.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it hurt when you reach with knuckles touching your back or away from back?

Away from the back hurts like hell.

That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
D Humbarger,
Where do you shoot? Griz and I shoot at Sherburne WMA and the range in Eunice.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
Does it hurt when you reach with knuckles touching your back or away from back?

Away from the back hurts like hell.

That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks.

Awesome!! Big Grin Glad I could help.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where do you shoot?

Where ever I can find a spot. Sometimes at the range in Lake Arhtur, or at the Homewood range south of Lake Charles. somtimes in the country around Evangeline. I will be at the gun show in Lafayette this coming weekend. Are you going?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
What day I go depends on if I have to work saturday

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
same, was thinking about a hunting/camping trip is the weather holds.

D Humbarger, have you been to the range in Eunice? I would think it wouldn't be very far from you, and it is pretty nice, with a 300 ydrifle, and separate pistol and shotgun ranges. Also doesn't have much traffic, which I consider a plus.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Never been there. Wifes family lives just north of Eunice so we go through there often. Where is it?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
A mile or so east of Eunice on 190, then a couple miles north. They even have/had meeting once a month or so where you could go and shoot the bull with the other shooters. They even have on old gunsmith buried in a burm complete with marker!

I'll see if I can find me old membership card with a phone number for you. As I recall dues are like $40/year.

Griz78 used to work in Eunice and he could probably give you the road names and all. I just remember how to get there, but the details escape me.

PM one of us and we can exchange cell phone numbers and go shooting one day, or meet at the gun show. I'll warn you in advance that griz78 is one helluvan ugly dude so take a deep breath before you meet him. knife

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you're familiar with Savoy(about 3 miles east of eunice on 190). go about 1 mile north on hwy 95. Gun club is on the left.

Daniel, we'll see who's uglier when i get through pistol whipping you. hammering

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by griz78:
Daniel, we'll see who's uglier when i get through pistol whipping you. hammering

hey, you can get girls in Urania, so what do you have to complain about?

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
quote:
Originally posted by griz78:

hey, you can get girls in Urania, so what do you have to complain about?

and you can have the bulldikes in new rhodes. But you may be the one doing this. moon

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the one you guys are showing says "Palm out, like a cavalry draw...". That would put the cause you to sweep yourself as you draw and engage. If I am seeing the picture properly it is for a righty, and you have to bring the pistol across your back and then around your ribcage to engage a target. That would make me nervous, or slow on the draw and engage target sequence.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DH

If you have the big "A", you might want to consider carrying your handgun where you can get to it with the least possible movement.

For a right handed person this would be just to the right of your belt buckle using a Milt Sparks Summer Special type of holster.

If you spend a lot of time seated then you would need to consider a handgun with a short bbl, under 2.5 inches with a revolver and around 3 inches with a semiauto.

I carried a Colt 1911 Commander in this way, with mild discomfort, when seated, working things like Resturant Robbery Stakeout, Bar type details, or when I was a Robbery Decoy, and wanted the shortest "Hand to Gun" distance possible.

If you have to have your shirt tucked in, then a right hander, carries the gun just to the left of his belt buckle, using a wrap arround elastic belly band.

You access the gun by reaching into your shirt.

I usually left a button undone.

I most often used both carries at the same time, as I NEVER go ANYWHERE with only one handgun.

Sometimes I carried as many as five...

WHY, because MY LIFE IS WORTH IT. And it was impossible to carry a RIFLE.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the one you guys are showing says "Palm out, like a cavalry draw...". That would put the cause you to sweep yourself as you draw and engage. If I am seeing the picture properly it is for a righty, and you have to bring the pistol across your back and then around your ribcage to engage a target. That would make me nervous, or slow on the draw and engage target sequence.

Rich

IS think about it, you do not sweep yourself, if you do not "fan" the barrel across your torso.

If you keep the barel pointed "out", and do not rotate to the verticle until the gun is in front of your body you do not cover yourself...

Still I do not like the SOB carry position for my primary handgun.

It is just too far away from where my hands are in normal conditions.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
using a wrap around elastic belly band.

I use this a lot in Florida, with a Taurus SS 2 1/2" in 357 mag. I really like the cross draw setup.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you want to watch, when drawing from SOB that you don't accidentally shoot yourself as you draw the muzzle across your body.

Arthritis and mobility issues would seem to make this more an issue than if you carried SOB otherwise.

About Four 'O Clock on the hip. Much better carry option than SOB.