Notify
Tools

Home protection tips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.military.com/under...rding-navy-seal.html

Anyone else have any ?

Looks like there are a ton of new cameras ect with the rise of iot (internet of things) and cloud storage.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gangs here all dress the same, cover their faces, are in and out in less than 2 minutes, use multiple cars and are generally armed.

Lights, cameras, reinforced doors, dogs do not slow them down in the least - They only make owners falsely feel more secure.

Bottom line, if they want it, consider it stolen. Your best defense is good replacement insurance.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking into:

Night Lock door stop
Barrel bolts
Ballistic window film

Would be interested in cameras, but want something unobtrusive for indoors ie. doesn't look like a camera. Then have to figure out storage of the video. Need wireless.

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cameras are great. At least you will know how many actually were involved in stealing your property. I suppose that's of some value... maybe.

If you believe cameras and alarms are of value, consider the local police response times. Most of the perpetrators are sitting at home admiring your crap before the police roll up on the scene. And if you believe your neighbors are of help, set your car alarm off and see who comes running.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have locks on all the doors in my house. The bedrooms, the home offices, the storage rooms are all locked. When I get some free time I am going to put some locks on the guest rooms too.

I have a nest-Yale electronic dead bolt.

I have 4 gun safes - 2 in the house and 2 in the garage.

Both my neighbors work from home so there are lots of people with eyes on the house. I think that is one of the best forms of security.

I am thinking of getting some nest cameras.

I also have 2 cars parked in the drive way. No one can back in or out.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
The gangs here all dress the same, cover their faces, are in and out in less than 2 minutes, use multiple cars and are generally armed.

Lights, cameras, reinforced doors, dogs do not slow them down in the least - They only make owners falsely feel more secure.

Bottom line, if they want it, consider it stolen. Your best defense is good replacement insurance.

I don’t think this is a Namibia or Africa centric question.

More kind of aimed at gated communities in suburban central Florida.

Every vechicle coming into my community is recorded.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way is to live some place with a very low crime rate.

Remember most burglaries are not committed by professionals. But by opportunists.

Most common is neighborhood scum bag teenager that sees you leave every morning then smashes and grabs.

No place is totally crime free but there are place where it is rare.

There are places where people still don't lock their doors.

One of the reasons when one lives where they could use a D8 dozer to get in and nobody would hear it.

I believe in keeping most of the valuable stuff in safes. More then one a lot of burglars take just minutes. In grab stuff and out most anything that help slow them down is a good idea.

Leaving some burglar bait around for them to grab is a good idea.

Stuff that looks like it worth while but really isn't.

Cameras that give a good street view so one can get a good picture of the vehicle used.

Have a good record of your it your items.

We would recover stuff that we knew was stolen but never could find out where it came from.

If one is dealing with determined professionals then it is really hard.

So don't give them a reason to target your house. loose lips sink ships.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Social media has also become a criminal's best friend. Folks post pictures of themselves, their family, their guns, their cars, their interior and exterior of their homes, their vacations, and amazingly even their names and vacation schedules. Then with Google Street View the bad guys don't have to waste time with drive-bys.

It takes 10 minutes of searching and they can put together a laundry list of what they want to take, how they will enter and exit and when you will be gone. And with folks openly talking about their security systems, well, that's just a bonus.

Little wonder why some folks refuse to post pictures and like to remain anonymous online. There are a lot of psychopaths in the world. Why make it easy on everyone?

And Mike I live in a city with 6.2 million people (about three times larger than Orlando) when I am in the States. So I know a little bit about big city living and home and personal protection. But I must admit, Africa is a wonderful place to develop one's situational awareness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
The best way is to live some place with a very low crime rate.

Remember most burglaries are not committed by professionals. But by opportunists.

Most common is neighborhood scum bag teenager that sees you leave every morning then smashes and grabs.

No place is totally crime free but there are place where it is rare.

There are places where people still don't lock their doors.

One of the reasons when one lives where they could use a D8 dozer to get in and nobody would hear it.

I believe in keeping most of the valuable stuff in safes. More then one a lot of burglars take just minutes. In grab stuff and out most anything that help slow them down is a good idea.

Leaving some burglar bait around for them to grab is a good idea.

Stuff that looks like it worth while but really isn't.

Cameras that give a good street view so one can get a good picture of the vehicle used.

Have a good record of your it your items.

We would recover stuff that we knew was stolen but never could find out where it came from.

If one is dealing with determined professionals then it is really hard.

So don't give them a reason to target your house. loose lips sink ships.

+1

I think where ones lives, one neighbors, dogs, security systems are all layers.

If I have to worry about professionals that live in opus world both me and the thieves will be very disappointed by the theft.

I want to keep the opportunity theif off my property.

Might be time to add a second big dog mainly cause I want another dog.

I also believe in multiple safes. Diversify away.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Professionals? If you call 16 to 20 year old gang members "professionals" then I guess. But the guys targeting homes with good stuff is pretty random and simple. Look for nice cars in the nice neighborhoods (gated or not), wait for them to go to work and it's Christmas.

Safe crackers they are not, but we've had quite a few enterprising folks simply make off with large gun safes. Surprising how quickly 5 guys can make off with a safe. Then again, look how simple an ATM can be taken. If they can see it, they will try to take it - sometime successful, sometimes not.

Good luck with your fortifications... tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Professionals? If you call 16 to 20 year old gang members "professionals" then I guess. But the guys targeting homes with good stuff is pretty random and simple. Look for nice cars in the nice neighborhoods (gated or not), wait for them to go to work and it's Christmas.

Safe crackers they are not, but we've had quite a few enterprising folks simply make off with large gun safes. Surprising how quickly 5 guys can make off with a safe. Then again, look how simple an ATM can be taken. If they can see it, they will try to take it.

I want to see 5 guys lift a bolted safe.

I want to especially see 5 guys lift multiple bolted safes stacked in a line with an inch between them.

I am much more worried about an opportunist than any gang members in my hood.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, hundreds of ATM's are stolen every year and not only are they specifically hardened against theft, all are bolted into concrete. Amazingly a few guys can haul one off in less than 60 seconds.

As I said, good luck with your fortifications.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't they rip them off with a stout rope or chains and a pickup truck? I am NOT an expert at stealing ATM's!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, hundreds of ATM's are stolen every year and not only are they specifically hardened against theft, all are bolted into concrete. Amazingly a few guys can haul one off in less than 60 seconds.

As I said, good luck with your fortifications.

Last time I checked every atm is in a public space. It job is to be accessed by the public for financial intermediation. Do people just walk away with atms?

No one is going to come to my house and drag a bolted safe off without some commotion.

Opus look at your responses on this thread

You start of with roving gangs who rob houses in 2 minutes, to guys stalking on social media to random 16-20 gang kids driving around who look at nice cars and run off with gun saves. A little constituency in reasoning would show rational thinking.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little rational thinking would be good for you too. You seem unreasonably paranoid.

I was just having a little fun poking your paranoia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big loud dog is the single most effective burglary deterrent, IMHO.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15134 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well I love my bitch + it is her job to let me know if anyone is there. Talking out of school,if anyone shot my dog they would be next.My dogs life is worth more than some crack head.Just IMOP.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I love my bitch + it is her job to let me know if anyone is there.

Hmm. I thought we were talking about dogs?
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent product

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/n...5408.p?skuId=6195408

Installed it this weekend.

Ties into the WiFi network and $20 you can buy signs saying protected by nest.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used them or similar but it would see a security service like ADT connected to local police would be useful. Anyone have any experiences with similar?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://nest.com/alarm-system/...TLvdwCFVUKNwodvS4BRQ

I think they have monitoring by Brinks

I am a big fan of nest products. I will get their security system in time. But the lock is great for $300.

It has 8 digit security code if needed. Locksmithing skills are useless.

Also it tends to be bought as a security package.

Spend $300 on a lock that is visible and $40-$80 on signs and let the bad guys guess what else is in the house.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Not sure I am interested in anything that connects to the internet. The IOT seems to me to be a giant gateway for the hackers. I did have a NEST thermostat in a vacation home I owned.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Hmm. Not sure I am interested in anything that connects to the internet. The IOT seems to me to be a giant gateway for the hackers. I did have a NEST thermostat in a vacation home I owned.
Peter.

If someone can hack a 8 digit code - they will be much more focused on real financial theft than burglary

Also you can simply not connect it to the internet

Have a electronic battery operated lock and a signal to every bad guy you are digitally secured.

My objective is to signal to bad guys there are easier houses to break into. Also being able to check if door is locked and being able to lock it off a phone is cool.

Mike