New
Find
Notify
Tools

To our American freinds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, I know your all worried about what your new President will do with your weapons but stop buying everything! Big Grin Whe're meant to be in a recession for frig's sake.
I want to reload for my .280 and can't find a decent 160gr projectile in the whole country. Frowner Everywhere I go it's the same story, Americas stockpiling, we can't get shipments and don't get me started on the price of powder, if I can get that as well.
Give us a chance, I don't want to have to go back to using sharpened stick's. archer

Posts: 4316 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
Yeah in the next aid package to the south pacific include several boxes of Hornady .284 162 grain A-Maxs.
In fact we don't want beads or money or blankets. I would even consider guiding for A-Max's

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. I've noticed the panic buying here too.
Watched a fellow buy $800.00 worth of powder and ALL the pistol primers the dealer had left.
That's a lot of powder for one guy!

It doesn't make sense to me? The dumbocrap party has just faked becoming pro-gun lately in an attempt to make us believe we should replace the few remaiming conservatives with liberals.

Used a .280 for about 25 years and recently gave the rifle to my grown son. I'm using a Kimber model 89 BGR in 270 Winchester alternated with a 1909 Argentino Mauser in 30-06.

Haven't noticed a cents worth of difference between the 270, 280 and '06 on deer sized game yet?

Just finished stocking up an FN commercial Mauser in .338-06 A.I. Metalwork is being
Gun Koted now. The rig should be ready for
stag and elk by fall.

Just finished making a drop pointed hunting knife from 52100 ball bearing steel. Still need to make up a sheath. It should be ready for action by fall too.

Maybe I'll try deer hunting with my new 7mm-08 this year? It's almost a .280? About 10% less
velocity for any given bullet weight which shouldn't matter on the smaller stuff.

Be patient. These knuckleheaded americans will
stop their foolish runs on compnents sooner or later. After all, a bloke can only use so much stuff in any given time frame. thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Hell fella, I can't get primers over here and I've had a dealers license since last October. What a time to get in the business.
I never even thought about you guys across the big pool. Sorry

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
Hell fella, I can't get primers over here and I've had a dealers license since last October. What a time to get in the business.
I never even thought about you guys across the big pool. Sorry

Mr.Banger,

I might suggest you find ma different supplier.
I'm having very little problem getting stuff here in Ohio?

Regards,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Everywhere I go it's the same story, Americas stockpiling, we can't get shipments and don't get me started on the price of powder, if I can get that as well.

What's wrong using OZ ADI gunpowder and OZ Woodleigh bullets???

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ADI is very good powder and I use a lot, but as they also supply Hogdon its jumped up in price by about $15 a pound.
Woodleigh are also a top product But not always what I'm looking for.

Posts: 4316 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Got the same problem here in Brisbane the local shop is running out of 270 130gr projectiles, might have to try some local taipan ones. Also is it true that americans are buying up rifles. I have ordered a win model 70 and they estimate about 6-12 months wait

Posts: 10 | Location: australia | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted Hide Post
Federal 714 .22LR target ammo not here now until Feb next year! Other stuff on back order now for over six months. i wonder how long it will be before we can get normal supplies out of the US?

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oscar, Taipan projectiles are absolutely great, and well worth using, and at a very competetive price - also designed for local game - but tend to be a bit erratic in terms of supply - check Malcolm's website, http://www.bulletmaker.com/ and you'll get the picture.

I'm 'leaning' on a bloke here (Jason) of The Bullet Factory in Sydney to get some smaller cal stuff happening...

http://people.aapt.net.au/~nel...ctory%2002/index.htm

He has an excellent reputation, but is in pretty much the same position as Malcolm... bombard him with emails asking for smaller stuff!! He is working on it just to shut me up, coz I keep hassling him about some 6.5 cals, .... but an indication of potential [genuine] demand might help persuade him..

ADI powder doesn't seem to be too much of a problem (apart from teh price hikes!!), but nothing happens without a primer to make it all go bang....

For me, a good and reliable source of primers has been the main issue...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote