New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Gamekings on Pork
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a 7mm WSM that I'm taking to Darwin in a couple of months for a pig shoot . Have an accurate load using the 140gn Sierra Gameking and would like to use it . My guide reckons they're not good for close in shots . Others reckon they're o.k. .
Bearing in mind that a 7mm magnum isn't exactly a marginal calibre for pigs what do those of you with experience of SGK's on pigs think ?
Should I get some Woodleigh Weldcore PP's ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work great on steel rams at 500 metres out of a 7.08.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
If you are concerned now and have doubt in your mind it does not make for confidence while hunting. I would go with either a bonded bullet or a Partition bullet.

I always use what is the most accurate in my rifle, but it has to be matched to the game I am hunting.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon get a woodleighs for this trip, the 7mm wsm I assume is pretty fast and I have had sirreras break up on grassy's, woodleigh's will be better for texas heart shots as well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thing about woodleigh's is they will still expand, but hang together as well, there the best serious bullet getting around IMHO

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushchook,

I have used 140 gr. 7mm Sierra Game Kings extensively in a 7mm Weatherby. About the same velocity as 7WSM. No problem killing smaller porkers but close in, the bullet is too frangible with the thin jacket although it still kills 'em. At the higher velocity, the Sierra are like varmint bullets, very explosive.

The porkers in N.T. are considerably larger than the Hawaiian variety. I would use the Woodleigh if it were readily available here.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I think you should give them ago. I use non premium bullets up here in my 6.5 Sweede. I've used sierra's and the stuff they load in the highlander range, all work fine.

If your in the Katherine area mate look me up. Always good to meet AR members.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 150's in my 7mm-08 & they work pretty well when launched at 2800 fps but have noticed they shed their jackets on occasions,personally I recon they are one of the better of the soft point bullets.

How the 140 would work on game up close when launched at around 3200 fps is a good question? & I tend to think they would be better of used for those longer shots where their impact velocity has dropped back below 2800 fps if possible?

Personally at those launch velocities I would be using nosler accubonds,hornady interbonds or barnes tsx where close range shots would be common like on pigs.

Only way to know for sure would be to try them,let us know how they go if you use them though.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts . Think I'll get some 160 gn Woodleighs to be on the safe side .
Have a shitload of Nosler BT's on hand that I bought for pigs (plus the odd roo and goat) after reading a magazine article that recommended them . Everbody here seems to think they're not up to the job on big boars . Just gave away some Hornady SST's that I couldn't get to shoot . Have a box of Sierras on hand . Now I need Woodleighs or something similar . Reckon I'll have enough projectiles on hand to see me out . Roll Eyes
Bakes ,
All I know is that we'll be about 3 hours drive South of Darwin . Katherine can't be far away ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mate, 3 hours south of Darwin and your on the steps of the Katherine post office.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes ,
Send us a PM with your phone number and we'll catch up for a beer if possible .

Wilbur Smith

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Message sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about using the rem coreloks in 150gr, will handle those pigs fine and they are a reliable bullet. The sierra's tend to shed the core easily, even at lower speeds, but do give spectactular kills at times. Personally goin all that way and the expense involved, use a tougher bullet, even the hornady sp would be better.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
Have a shitload of Nosler BT's on hand that I bought for pigs (plus the odd roo and goat) after reading a magazine article that recommended them . Everbody here seems to think they're not up to the job on big boars .

In a 7mm I think the Nosler solid bases would work OK. But what weight are they?

I use a lot of Nosler solid bases in my rifles and they have always worked well. Some of the first Ballistic Tips were way to soft but in a .30 still killed goats well.

I would give them a try before rejecting them.

Also remember a lot of articles say "yay or nay" because they are being paid as an advertisement to recommend something. Works both ways.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitrox ,
Think I'll get some 160gn Woodleighs and take some 140gn Noslers for a test . I reckon the Noslers will be fine with chest shots but may struggle on rear end or shoulder shots at close range . Time will tell .

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Accuratereloading.com The Accurate Reloading Forums THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS Hunting Australian And New Zealand Hunting Sierra Gamekings on Pork

Havent used them in 7mm yet but in 243 the Barnes solid copper driven at about 3200fps penetrate fallow from one end to the skin under the other having taken shoulder joint, ribs etc on the way through.Worth a thought, give'em hell,in any event.
Garry from Maitland

Posts: 26 | Location: Maitland,Australia | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ordered some 140 gn Accubonds .
With a little luck the loads and point of impact should be the same as the Nosler 140 BT that I've been using . Rifle put 5 of them into 0.8 last time I tried it . Don't want to shoot out the barrel during load development if I can avoid it .

Wilbur Smith

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
Nitrox ,
Think I'll get some 160gn Woodleighs and take some 140gn Noslers for a test . I reckon the Noslers will be fine with chest shots but may struggle on rear end or shoulder shots at close range . Time will tell .

The Nosler BTs will do fine on shoulder shots as far as killing power, even at very high impact velocities. I've dumped a bunch of mature boars with them. Can't say about ass shots as I never took one on a hog. I just hated to spoil that much meat. That said, I've never seen any major caliber bullet of any brand (over 6 MM) fail to stop something as easy as hogs.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote