Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting NZ! - - Visit Aus??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted
I'm going to NZ next May to hunt, south Island.

I was intrested in visiting Australia for a couple of days before the hunt. Any information on doing this would be very helpful.

What's the deal with bring my guns with me?

Any help would be great!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
What are you going to be hunting? Tahr?

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting with a guide in NZ I would seriously consider leaving your gun at home and using one of the guides rifles . It will save the hassles of documentation for your gun , particularly if you are going to more than one country . Just my thoughts , its certainly what I would investigate if going to another country to hunt.

As to visiting Australia as well , its a huge country so you will only see a little wee bit of it in a couple of days , but why not if you have the time and money .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
TOP_PREDATOR

Hunting Tahr and Chamois. It's a 7 day hunt so I wanted to extend it a bit.

muzza,

is entering NZ a problem? What kind of problems taking the gun into Australia? Is there any company there that can hold the guns till I'm ready to leave? I just want to visit the Great barrier Reef. I thought 2 or 3 days would be good, Yes? No?

Thanks for your imput, I'm trying to research both countrys now.

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that it is nice to hunt with your own rifle , but it really would be one less hassle carrying firearms internationally . It isnt any major drama in NZ , police will issue you a visitors firearms licence on your arrival , but I dont know what you might need to go to Australia as well . With Aussies anally-retentive anti-frearms politics you could have more trouble than it is worth , but your call .

Your hunting guide should be able to explain any procedures required to bring firearms in and out of NZ , I assume you have a guide...?

You would need to fly to Brisbane or Cairns in Queensland to see the barrier Reef - Cairns would be my choice for reef watching .

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker416

Some questions for you first:

1. Are you returning home say via Auckland AFTER Australia?

If so the outfitter may be able to hold your firearms for you in NZ. This would be the easiest option if bringing your own firearms.

2. What in Australia do you want to do?

Also where do you plan to fly into Australia - Sydney? Brisbane? Cairns?

You mention the Great Barrier Reef. If Brisbane or Cairns you would need to apply for the permits from the Queensland gov't/police.

You will need to have import permits for your firearms and ammunition and a temporary visitors firearms licence. These generally aren't hard to get but you need to do the paperwork. Do a search on the net, specifying "firearms import", "Australia" "Queensland" "police" etc. The website will probably be a Queensland gov.au domain.

These can vary between states but may be recognised from state to state if you have one from one state. I am not sure as I only know a couple states requirements for visitors.

Most Australian outfitters can organise the permits and licences for you as they are only a formality if you are hunting with them, but if it is a tourist holiday they aren't making anything from it so you may need to do it yourself.

If you are hunting with say "Hunt New Zealand" the Australian side of the business may be willing to assist, "Hunt Australia" but may charge a fee.

You will need a visa for Australia.

I am not aware of a company which can hold securely the firearms for you. If brought INTO the country a lot of gun shops will store them, BUT first it needs to get through Customs etc and that is where all the paperwork is required. Maybe someone else knows of a service like this.

It is an unfortunate thing that in the modern world it is harder and harder to visit more than one country with firearms. It is a pity as a visit to the Great Barrier Reef sounds nice.

Cairns is good but the reef is further out at Cairns. I think it is Green Island that is near Cairns and an easy ferry ride out. There is a resort on the island. There is coral reef at Green Island.

Further North is nicer in my opinion at Port Douglas, and the reef itself is closer. Unfortunately we didn't see the reef at Port Douglas as the weather prevented boats from going out too far and those that did had passengers with strong stomachs. Razzer

North of Port Douglas you have the Daintree Rainforests which is worth a trip as well.

A two or three day holiday at either would be a very nice addition to your hunt.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/program/wlb/inter.shtml

If only visiting for 2-3 days you would want to fly to Cairns, or if coming in via Brisbane then catch a domestic flight north. You would spend all your 2-3 days driving from Brisbane.

Flying from NJ to NZ for a 7 day hunt is a long way. Extending sounds like a good idea to me. FYI - NZ to Cairns would be approx 7-8 hours one way flying time

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
NitroX

Thanks for all the advise! I'm going to check into the firearms in Aus. I have a hunting company in NZ so they told me they would get me through the paper work there. I really don't like or feel comfortable using someone else gun, but if Aus. is to "involved" I may have to. I really want to see a "bit" of the reef and what ever I can in a few days, and not spend to much time clearing guns. Thanks for all your advise, and I will check out that rainforest too! I have plenty of time to look into everything (11) months.

Muzza,

es I do have a hunting company, Gerald & Sue Telford, they are out of Wanaka.

Widowmaker416

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You seem to have everything in hand fairly well . And you do have time to deal with the beauracracy involved , but you will need it....

Cairns to Auckland is about five and a half hours flying , Christchurch will be a bit longer but not much .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Widowmaker,

Just wanted to put in a word about the gun permit in NZ, having just done the process two weeks ago:

Bring your hunting license from the US. Just your plain old deer license from NJ. When you arrive in Aukland, collect baggage, then go to the little police station situated to the left of the customs inspection line. They'll need either $25 or $50 cash (can't remember), payable in $NZ only, so be sure to change some money in the terminal, or before you leave. They'll ask to see the gun, and fill out the form stating where you'll be hunting and staying, etc. No big deal at all, and you're on your way.

If you're flying Qantas, CALL THEM BEFORE YOU GO! We connected in Los Angeles, and they had a fit when we checked in at DFW, saying you had to have XYZ form to travel with a firearm on Qantas, etc, etc. Of course, we knew this was not true, but they didn't have a clue what their own policies were, so try to get some sort of documentation before-hand. If you're changing airlines (ie, flying American Airlines to LA, then changing to Qantas)American has to call Qantas to get "permission" to transfer the firearm as special baggage, blah, blah, blah. Get to the airport early, and call both airlines ahead of time, to save yourself the worry.

We spent 6 days in Wanaka last week...you'll really like it there. If you like to fish, take a small fly rod. You can't swing a dead cat in that area without hitting a trout stream.

Also, don't waste too much time in Queenstown...you can go to any of about 15 US Ski Resort towns and see the exact same thing.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Trademark texan

hey! Thank you for the info!! You are a big help! really! I'm going to save this post for my trip, again thanks.

Who did you hunt with? thats the same area I'm going to, Wanaka. How did you do? Sounds like you caught some trout!

Widowmaker416

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:

If you're flying Qantas, CALL THEM BEFORE YOU GO! We connected in Los Angeles, and they had a fit when we checked in at DFW, saying you had to have XYZ form to travel with a firearm on Qantas, etc, etc. Of course, we knew this was not true, but they didn't have a clue what their own policies were, so try to get some sort of documentation before-hand.

Actually it is a policy of Qantas. You are required to tell them you are planning to carry firearms and ammunition before the flight. They then send to you a letter or fax with the permission. This is how it works domestically but maybe the same internationally as well.

It is pretty straight forward and not a problem.

I believe the fact you have a firearm in luggage is recorded in their bookings/flight system.

It actually works to a persons advantage to some extent as an "authorised" security person or baggage handler personally collects your luggage and it does not go to the main luggage carousels but to the "lost luggage" desk or a security office. So it should be LESS likely to get lost or someone else grab your bag. At least this is the way it works domestically in Australia. Not sure internationally.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
All of you are giving me great information! Thanks!
How far in advance should I notify Qantas, are they pretty fast with sending you a lwetter back?

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX, I guess that is the form they were talking about...they ended up letting me complete the travel without any problems, just about a 20 minute delay.

Widowmaker, I hunted with Tim Buma of TrackersNZ (he posts here). We hunted out of Fox Glacier, but spent time in Wanaka (some by choice, some by necessity), also.

I actually didn't catch any trout, but if I ever go back that way, you can be I will!

I'll post the hunt story when I have some free time.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
TMT

Would like to hear about your hunt there, maybe some photo's too! I hope to have a good story to post here in about 10 months!

I'm going to check into doing a little trout fishing myself!!!

Talk again!

Widowmaker416

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker,If you a spare day or two in the north island and want to do some bird shooting i have some good ponds

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
If you give them the details, flight times, passenger etc and telephone, email or fax the right managers, it only takes a few days. Don't leave it to the last moment however.

TT

Yes I also have got on flights without the letter in the past with firearms by pleading ignorant (I was) but it is better to do it properly just in case.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
TOP_PREDATOR

Thanks! There's a good chance I'll take you up on that! My hunt is 5 days, I'm use to going for at least 10 days, so I might give you a yell. I'd like to meet some AR members from other parts of the world!!

NitroX

Again thanks for your information, as soon as I have my flight itiernary I'll fax them. I'm going to start watching flights soon. I'll get in touch with Gracy Travel, they do all my travel arangments.
I want all my ducks in a row, beforeI go to the airport. I'd rather have the letter in hand to avoid any "discomfort" on the trip!

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I arranged the paperwork for a friend a couple of months ago. A pbone call, followed by a fax from me, and the approval was faxed back within 30 minutes. Not something to try to arrange whilst standing at the head of the line dealing with agents (who probably don't work for any airline).

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
All of you are giving me great information! Thanks!
How far in advance should I notify Qantas, are they pretty fast with sending you a lwetter back?

Their website says at least 2 working days before departure: [quote lifted direct, including the typo]
"
5.2 Prohibited Items

Qantas will not carry, and you must not try to bring on board:

* knives
* weapons of any type
* firearms and ammunition (exceptions exist for firearms and ammunition for hunting or sporting purposes. These must be packed in accordance with all applicable national and international laws and regulations. Qantas' approval must be obtained for the carriage of these items, which approval may be withheld at its sole discretion. Applications must be submitted at least 2 working days prior to the anticipated department date)
<snip other 'dangerous goods' items>

If you try to bring any such item on board and Qantas discovers it, Qantas may do whatever it considers appropriate in the circumstances, including disposing of the item without notifying you (see also 12.2)."

This is from their 'Conditions of Carriage' at the main Qantas website

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
You can of course carry knives in your checked luggage.

That section principally refers to carry on luggage.

John H.