Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle hunt in the Top End
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
My good friend Alan Moon, a Down-Under double rifle aficianado, has asked me to help spread the word of double rifles.

It is a true addiction and he wants to help a few good fellows become a little more addicted by offering a Double Rifle Hunt for scrub bull and boar in the wilds of Cape Yorke Peninsula in Far North Queensland.

Here are some pics to start the cravings.

and

and

Feel the addiction starting to burn ?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
My two doubles have been nagging me to take them on a decent hunt ever since I wasn't able to make the Big Bore Pig Hunt - so what is the deal with Cape York?

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bob

Glad you asked.

Alan's sent the following details. Below is also his contact details. My Jeffrey too is asking for some action and I'm seriously thinking of going, as long as I don't fill up the spots for him too quickly before I commit .

Details of the hunt from Alan:
Quote:

I'm thinking of putting aside one week from my 2004 Cape York hunting safaris just for double rifle hunters use.

This would mean that there would be 3 or 4 vacancies for clients wanting to hunt with their doubles.

Hunt duration would be 5 to 7 days with an extra 2 days travel time and will be leaving from Cairns.

Air travel is also possible if hunters were pushed for time.

Game available will include Scrub Bulls (trophy fee), Wild Boar, Brumbies, and excellant fishing is available for barramundi, sarratoga, sooty grunta and other species.
Clients participating will have plenty of opportunity to shoot their doubles at game and there will be no problem regarding locating game at distances well suited to the use of open sights.

The best time for this hunt would be late September but could be done anytime from start of August till end of October.

Anyone interested in obtaining more details can send an email (or use the contact details including telephone numbers on the link below).

alanmoon@bigpond.com

I'll keep this offer open untill the end of February '04.

Can provide plenty of references from long term clients

Contact details for Alan and more information on the hunt: Alan Moon Safaris & Videos< !--color-->

Some more photographs to whet the interest.

I want one of these. Have a look at those horns. I have been chased by enough bulls to not like the look of those horns.

Getting the feet wet.

Some more nice ivory.

A few more pics still to come.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
NitroX,

I've emailed Alan to ask for more details so we'll see where that leads.

Also, for months now I have been meaning to ask how the Big Bore Pig Hunt went in the end?

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bob

"Orion" and I had a good time. Check out the Australian hunting forums on NitroExpress.com, I posted several threads of photos.

In hindsight it was good there was only two of us, as pigs were scarce, though we did we see over sixty, most were piglets and only two boars were shot. From memory we shot more than 10(?). Most of the hunting was ambushing them in the last 15 minutes of light before dark as they entered crops to feed.

North Queensland should be entirely different, with more pigs and I'm hoping to take a scrub bull or two - I'm hoping. I was going to hunt NSW or Southern Qld in 2004 again, but I think flying up to Cairns will be more productive and fun.

If you decide to go, other than your 9.3 and 470, will that .500 be ready yet?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some more piggie pics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me Nitro.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post

When you need your double! < !--color-->

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
<br /> <font color="666666"> When you need your double! < !--color--></font> <br /><br /><br /><br />

Hey, this picture, the last post of this thread is a Spanish bull, and if I am right is a photograph of the so-called San Fermin festival which celebrates the town of Pamplona (Navarra). Have you ever been?, I do not, but it must be impressive which is assembled there.

A greeting,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
that last post has the record for time space in replying to the previous post..2004 -2008

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovny:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
<br /> <font color="666666"> When you need your double! < !--color--></font> <br /><br /><br /><br />

Hey, this picture, the last post of this thread is a Spanish bull, and if I am right is a photograph of the so-called San Fermin festival which celebrates the town of Pamplona (Navarra). Have you ever been?, I do not, but it must be impressive which is assembled there.

A greeting,

Oscar.

No idea. Forgotten about this photo!

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still funny!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote