New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for NZ hunts? Apr / May 2015
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I am looking for hunt for spring (for us here in USA) of 2015. Always wanted to go to New Zealand. I'm thinking maybe late April, May, or June.

What would be your suggestions for a top notch hunt during this time?

Things to note.

only interested in free range hunts.
I'm fairly young and wouldn't mind some tougher mountain hunting. Tahr is the main thing that comes to mind.
Would like to take my old man (63) along and maybe let him take a crack at a critter or two. Maybe red stag?
From what I hear NZ is beautiful, so might be one to take my mom along as well. I think it might be one of those places she'd enjoy to see.

Open to all suggestions. Thank you

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Holy crap Bobby, you gunning for son of the year? Wink I have nothing to tell you but some of the Kiwi's will chime in soon and give you some good advice.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
April and May would be my pick,June can be quite wet.

Game Birds all open first weekend of May.

Red deer rut in April "From what I hear NZ is beautiful" parts of the south island are,north island not so much.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time we went to NZ we hunted with Mike and Deb Wilkes at South Pacific Safaris, my wife and I both got really nice stags (late April), a fallow deer and shot several feral goats. After the hunt we rented a car and drove around the island for about 5 days...really a beautiful country full of nice people.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2808 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smiler just trying to repay the parents for a job well done. Plus I get just as much out of it as they do.

I think most of the hunting is done on the south island anyways right? Seems like May would be perfect. Just hoping you can hunt Tahr and Stag at the same time. Maybe even get in some ocean fishing?

I'll research outfitters. If anyone has suggestions that would be great.

trying to stick with free range, but private property is ok.
No helicopters, unless its for a sight seeing tour Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
I'm heading there in mid-May with my wife. I'm hunting both red stag and tahr. Mid-May is when the tahr are supposed to be in the best form with the longest manes.

PM me if you want the outfitters name, he came recommended from a number of friends that also hunted with him. I'm not sure about free range options, but you could inquire. I'll give you some more feedback when I return from the hunt.

Posts: 504 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
April-May is the traditional deer mating season and main hunting season. Tahr can be hunted at the same time although they probably wont have the full winter coat then as it is just the start of winter. For a big , full-cape tahr you need to be hunting in July or August - and the red deer prime-time is gone then.

It will be a compromise , but certainly both species is acheivable . Fallow deer are in the rut in may still , so thats a possibility too.

Gerald Telford who posts here as Highlander is a hunting guide with good results and a good reputation , but there are many others as well.

I would suggest that you ask about the use of helcopters for anything other than getting you up ont the mountain to hunt . Some NZ operators have no qualms about chasing tahr with a chopper until the animal is exhausted , and then even shooting from the chopper . If you want to raise the ire of the hunting fraternity here just post a report on your hunt and mention that you shot your tahr from the chopper...

Many of the hunting operators offer "free-range" hunts that are actually farm raised stags that have just been released into a large paddock. Ask if this is the case or if the deer you will hunt is actually a truly wild deer in an unfenced area. Both types of hunting are available - those red stags you see with mega points on thier antlers are NOT wild deer....

Ask lots of questions - someone will give an answer pretty smartly .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Your going to have to compromise. Unless your Dad is an athlete: true fair chase in NZ, tough mountain hunt and wild Tahr probably won't come together for you. A really good Red stag will have some kind of management involved. It can range from pen raised to simple habitat modification. Trophy fee is often an indicator.

The place is so spectacular that you may want to spend more time with your dad and less time huffing up some crag in the middle of no where.

You can try emailing the taxidermy and gun shops in NZ with your requirements. Some may email back to you with a whole range of price options/suggestions.

In your search you will get everything from uber expensive SCI type of outfitters, to (with a bit of luck) a local prepared to take you out for a small fee.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. This is the exact type of stuff I want to hear. Just tell me exactly like it is.
I'm OK with compromise. might as well start with my "perfect scenario" wish list and work my way from there.

I know enough about NZ to know that I don't want to chase anything with a chopper. I'm thinking maybe I can send my mom and dad off while I chase the tahr, then we can focus on a stag for him. Just thinking out loud for now. I'll keep researching.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
April-May is the traditional deer mating season and main hunting season. Tahr can be hunted at the same time although they probably wont have the full winter coat then as it is just the start of winter. For a big , full-cape tahr you need to be hunting in July or August - and the red deer prime-time is gone then.

It will be a compromise , but certainly both species is acheivable . Fallow deer are in the rut in may still , so thats a possibility too.

Gerald Telford who posts here as Highlander is a hunting guide with good results and a good reputation , but there are many others as well.

I would suggest that you ask about the use of helcopters for anything other than getting you up ont the mountain to hunt . Some NZ operators have no qualms about chasing tahr with a chopper until the animal is exhausted , and then even shooting from the chopper . If you want to raise the ire of the hunting fraternity here just post a report on your hunt and mention that you shot your tahr from the chopper...

Many of the hunting operators offer "free-range" hunts that are actually farm raised stags that have just been released into a large paddock. Ask if this is the case or if the deer you will hunt is actually a truly wild deer in an unfenced area. Both types of hunting are available - those red stags you see with mega points on thier antlers are NOT wild deer....

Ask lots of questions - someone will give an answer pretty smartly .

thank you for this info. Telford is actually already on my short list. Didn't know that he posted here. I plan on reaching out to him soon.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the fishing in NZ either mate. Both salt and fresh water. Wink

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok thats on the list too! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
There is plenty of hunting in the North Island.

Firstly you need to decide if you want free range hunting or hunting behind fence. All the big trophy stags you see are mostly shot on big farms / stations with mixture of bush and open farm land. Some may be true wild stags but most are not!

Most free range hunting for Red & Sika stag can be very tough hunting in steep, thick terrain. Trophy quality is not great. Most locals hunt for meat & some real hardened experts do hunt for trophies and are quite successful.

You can hunt fallow deer on private property near Wanganui in the North Island.

Plenty of hunting around Lake Taupo - with some good trout fishing too. You get great sea fishing in the Bay of Plenty - 2 hours north of Lake Taupo.

If you are in the South Island you might want to check out Goose shooting near Hamner Springs. Good red deer hunting there too.

Good luck & I hope you and your family have a great time. Don't forget to to try our wines! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:

Things to note.

only interested in free range hunts.

Congratulations bobby for that way of thinking too.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check with peter chamberlain and kiwi wilderness safaris.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 29 | Location: montana | Registered: 02 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am headed here in 2 weeks with Gerald Telford and Kuranui. Will post a report.

Posts: 10260 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Gerald almost 20 years ago! You will have a good time. His family is very well connected in the area and that makes a BIG difference.

If you have a free afternoon ask him to take you hare & rabbit shooting in the river flats - great fun!

Great Central Otago wines too!

Good luck.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, have a chat to Chris McCarthy at Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris. He specializes in free range hunts, with varying levels of difficulty, and has other options (not helihunting) available if required.

I think he could meet your requirements for both you and your dad.

Expect a couple of days delay in contacting Chris (or any NZ guide for that matter) as he will most likely be in the bush with clients.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Chris McCarthy Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris http://www.hawea-hunting.co.nz/

Gerald Telford http://flyfishhunt.co.nz

Both are straight up guys and you will have a great hunt with either.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've already contacted both! Thanks fellas Smiler

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Two more thumbs up for Gerald and Sue Telford. Gerald is one of the hardest working most enjoyable guys you will ever hunt with. Here's our report of our hunt with him http://forums.accuratereloadin...251045551#2251045551

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
There seems to be some impossible heads on that sites gallery.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
There seems to be some impossible heads on that sites gallery.

If you mean Telfords they do both free-range and fenced stag. We hunted free-range with him.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes I did see that there is a fenced area ..obviously by the abnormal (for wild) heads.

I wasnt condemning anyone just answering bobby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Two more thumbs up for Gerald and Sue Telford. Gerald is one of the hardest working most enjoyable guys you will ever hunt with. Here's our report of our hunt with him http://forums.accuratereloadin...251045551#2251045551
I think the image links in the report are broken - dont seem to work.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
might be a time-frame thing on the images - maybe expired in the hosting program? seen it before on older posts.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Weird

Here's a few pics from the trip.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a South Island hunt with Kiwi Safaris. I don't think I could have had a better hunt. They took good care of us and put us on some really nice animals, all open range. I highly recommend these guys.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the airport returning from a hunt with Kiwi Wilderness Safaris. Had a great time. Rained out one day and still got red stag, tahr and fallow deer in 4 days. One of my best days of hunting ever was when we got my tahr. Pinned down for 3 1/2 hrs with tahr all around us. Had a 4 1/2 yr old bull come so close so long I finally hit him with a pebble to try and get him to move on! At one point had at least 8 tahr within 60 yards of us. Peter will do whatever type of hunt that you want. Another great feature is that he will prepare the trophies so you can take the with you and not have to ship them later. Great service and a great hunt. Bruce

Posts: 375 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well don't be shy gents. Post some pictures Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Sheep Hunter, well done and some great heads there!
Yes, NZ is as the song goes "A Slice of Heaven"!!!
So much so, I'm currently lookin at real estate over there (Sth Is)

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
Bobby, have a chat to Chris McCarthy at Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris. He specializes in free range hunts, with varying levels of difficulty, and has other options (not helihunting) available if required.

I think he could meet your requirements for both you and your dad.

Expect a couple of days delay in contacting Chris (or any NZ guide for that matter) as he will most likely be in the bush with clients.

Wow, his wilderness tahr hunt looks like exactly the kind of hunt I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerald Telford has an exceptional wild area for tahr. We saw plenty but most were in tough places. It is a great sheep hunt and I would do again in minute.

Posts: 10260 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those climbs for tahr can be far worse than the average climb in North American sheep hunts.

Posts: 12017 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Those climbs for tahr can be far worse than the average climb in North American sheep hunts.

Lost both my big toe nails due to my boots not being ½ size too large. Going down the slopes, my toes banged into the end of the toe box. Had to use the "hot paper clip routine" to relieve the pressure. Blood and fluid flew all over the room...

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Here is my Red Stag

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
big piece of bone Cool

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Nice stag, really solid bottoms ,you would have to be really happy with him
Tahr, no pain no gain.When it comes to mountain hunting the single most important piece of equipment are good fitting strong boots. Sorry about you toes, nails will grow back, about this time next year. Ouch. Tahr are fun to hunt for sure. Pleased you enjoyed our country and its people and the hunting of course.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. Toe nails are growing back now, although slowly.
Here's the Tahr. As you can see, I'm pretty gassed. I'm also holding onto him to keep him from tumbling down the mountain.