Find
Notify
Tools

Top End in Five Days - Boars and Bovines
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
"Orion" and I are off to the Top End in about five days. We have left plenty time for the 3200 km drive.

Adelaide
Barossa
Port Augusta
Cooper Pedy
Alice Springs
Tennant Creek
Elsey / Mataranka
Arnhemland

Various other towns along the way. Four to five days of driving up the "Red Centre".

Then we will be with Graham Williams of Australian Buffalo Hunters at his Arnhemland camp. A couple water buffalo each, maybe a second each. I'm hoping for a nice scrub bull, looking to grand slam the Aussie Bovines, water bufalo, scrub bull and then oneday Banteng. Pigs as we come across them.

Graham has another American client and his wife there while we are there so it will be good to meet them as well.

After that hopefully we can meet up with some guys in Darwin. Whomever can make it for a shandy and prawns overlooking the harbour.

Have provisionally setup a station to the West for some pigs. The area is major floodplains and is reported to have lots of pigs. Maybe some magpie geese and ducks too. Will see if we can organise this but it is more than 50 percent likely.

A long drive home.

Taking a Canon Digital SLR plus a Canon Pro video camera. Lets see if I can learn the last one as we go.

Armaments. Orion is keen for his deadly "Karamojo" style Mannlicher in 6.5x54mm M-S to slay the bovines and boars. NitroX plans the .450 to get another look, plus maybe the 9.3 mm. Not squirrel rifle for me.

Hoping for lots of new photos and if we are lucky some hunt videos.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to at least as good a report as last years's. I would really like to hear if you try the 9.3 on the bovines, as that is my current largest bore (handguns aside).

Good luck and good hunting!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Good luck mate. Pop in for a brew on the way through.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck to ya!!!
Tell ya mate not to shoot until he sees the Whites of their eyes!Upon doing this ask him to tell St peter when here ges there that I am really sorry about all the things I have done to Tree Huggers & Parks & wildlife inspectors over the years Big Grin

Hey I know we all know that heaven is reserved for Pro shooters (as we have our hell on earth ) But I 'm just hedging my bets! Eeker

Tell ya mate to go for the Neck & break the spine & he'll do fine ! That was my prefered shot with the .303 in my buff shooting days

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should have a great time with Graham. I got a nice buffalo with him in early August last year. Tell him Dale from Utah said to say hello. It would be nice to have Graham join us on this site.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Have fun and a great hunt.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted Hide Post
Would be a great trip to look forward to!!!

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitro, get up to Coburg and get one of those banteng. Nothing in the world quite like it! thumb

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Easy_Rollins
posted Hide Post
Good luck Nitro,hope you bag a moo cow. Smiler

Regards,Shaun.

Kids in the back seat cause accidents,accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Posts: 479 | Location: Brisbane,Australia. | Registered: 28 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day Nitro, while you are there, if you can get a vacancy, and find the time, go for your Banteng. Imagine doing the Oz moo cow Grand Slam in one trip! Scrub bull, Buff and Banteng in the one trip! Yahoo!
Have fun.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
You should have a great time with Graham. I got a nice buffalo with him in early August last year. Tell him Dale from Utah said to say hello. It would be nice to have Graham join us on this site.

Dale

Graham Williams posts as GRUM on the NitroExpress.com forums. Obviously not much at this time of the year ie hunting season.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

I would love to hunt banteng as well. Need one at the right price. Wink

Maybe next year or 2007.

Sambar 9.3mm

I am aiming to complete an Aussie "bovine" grandslam, maybe not all this trip though.

DOK

"Orion" has taken between twenty and thirty buffalo with his .270 about twenty years ago so he should do OK.

Bakes

Will do, either in Katherine or Darwin.

Gentlemen

Thanks for the best wishes. The .450 is eager for action.