Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 57
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Posted this query elsewhere , but here goes for here . Anyone had experience with the 9.3 x 57 calibre ? I am looking at a Husqvarna rifle in this calibre as a large animal rifle ie wild cattle , and for the Top End Safari that Bakes is to guide me on one day....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodliegh make some projectiles in this caliber.I've looked into this caliber and can't see why it's not more popular.
Huskys are some of the best actions,if the price is within reason your laughing.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks F C . I was hoping that was the sort of response I would get . If the rifle didnt have dies with it I probably wouldnt be interested , but they make the deal more attractive so I may just do it ....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzza
there are a few 9.3*62's and the odd 9.3*74r in Aus have not heard of the 9.3*57
Things might be a bit quite on the Aus forum this weekend as it is a long weekend.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Muzza

Cases can be made from 8X57IS, 7X57 or simular simply neck up.

In Sweden the 9,3X57 has been very popular with hunters who has around 100 meters or shorter shoting distance. There is also quite a few who hunt with dogs hat likes it.

You got mail

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry muzza,I misread the caliber,I thought I read 9.3x62.
I dug out the books on 9.3x57 Mauser.A fine old caliber it is.Into'd in 1900 by Mauser,uses a standard long Mauser action.
Lots of people go to the trouble of making up 338/06 and .375 Whelen's etc.
Mauser beat them all to it with a factory round in 1900.
The 9.3x62 needs a longer action than the 9.3x57.Cases can easily be made from 8x57 as Johan stated.So yeah I'd go for it,the dies help make the decision an easy one.
It can go in your new German East Africa themed bar.

How much money is the vendor asking?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzza...The 9.3 x 57 is a fine classic cartridge and there is a good selection of bullets available for it... An excellent choice would be the Speer 270 grain..It is the cheapest 9.3 bullet on the market and some say it is on the soft side for heavy game at the higher velocities of the 9.3 x 62, so I suspect it would be a perfect match for 9.3 x 57 velocities for game like pigs or deer...It is inexpensive enough to make a good practice bullet also, and it is very accurate, at least in my rifle... For cattle, Woodleigh, Nosler and others make good controlled expasion projectiles..

My 9.3 is a 9.3 x 62, but I am currently working up some loads around the 270 Speer in the 9.3 x 57 velocity range ( ~ 2000FPS) to use on whitetail deer in the woods, where shot opportunities seldom exceed 100 yards....

There are lots of other bullets available also, from the 232 grain Norma to some around 320 grains, including solids in case you ever need to shoot a truck or an armoured car...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Any time Muzza, any time.....I've got an interview with my career manager on the 24 Jun hopefully I'll be staying here for a few more years, either that or Darwin

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Muzza

I wouldn't buy it if it was me as I think it is a bit anaemic especially for buff and only a close range round. Good for a woman though ( ). I looked at a couple of Mannlicher-Schonauers, one of which was 9.5x57mm and the other 6.5x54.

I'm glad I didn't buy them as even though I lust after the M-S actions they weren't full wood and the 9.5mm in particular wouldn't be as good as say a 9.3x62 which would be far more useful.

Are you sure it is a 9.3x57 (ie .366) or is it a 9.5x57 (ie .375)?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Not a lot of buffalo around these parts mate , more likely to get use on wild cattle at close quarters - like 25 metres in heavy cover .
It is a 9.3 x 57 , there is also a pre WW2 9.3 x 62 on offer but the metalwork is pitty from poor storage. Better calibre , but worse condition .

Its not a big deal if I miss out , we have a dealer twenty k's away who imports lots of swedish hunting rifles so finding a good one isnt difficult , just this one was close and priced in my range at present .Plus her indoors would doubtless spit the dummy when she finds out....