New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banteng?? Did I miss something?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, what has happened to the Banteng hunting up in the north? Did the US or Aus gov't put a nix on the import/export of them? You used to see them offered all the time as a combo with a buff hunt, but I've noticed that as of late, it seems to have all dried up and there is ZERO mention of them anymore on the various Oz outfitter sites and no mention of them in magazine articles and advertisments anymore..

So what happened? I'm planning on doing a buff hunt in the next couple of years and was just curious if Bateng were even on the menu any longer? Any AR regulars hunt them before? If so, let's see 'em and hear of the hunt.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I haven't them myself,i think only few outfitters have access to Banteng and at around $10,000 i would rather hunt Cape Buffalo.

Matt Graham that post here will know

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Top,
I knew they were PRICEY, but was just curious if hunting for them had ceased, or its just one of those hunts that not alot of folks do.. I am planing on an OZ buff hunt within the next yr or so, but was just curious as to the Banteng.. They are beautiful beasts, though.. If only had Oz released Gaur instead! dancing

I'd hunt them if I had run my sowed my oats on Cape Buff and had taken an OZ buff or 2, but that isn't gonna happen anytime soon... I plan on chasin' Cape Buff till I can't get myself over there any longer! They are in my blood since chasing them for the 1st time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two concessions on Coburg (sp)Island and some estate banteng at Mary River and others...they are still there. Check with the buff outfitters, such as Simon Kyle-Little who guided the new world record last year, and, yes, it was shot with a bow. Beat the old record by several inches!
Dave

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay.... been out hunting for 8 weeks

plenty banteng still being offered...

in the wild on Cobourg - Davidson, Hurts, myself, Simon Kyle-Little... might be a few others??

Mary River offers the ranch version of course.

The Cobourg licencees had a bit of a crack-down on who could offer the hunts.... after a few incidents.

Anyone looking to hunt a banteng should carefully check out the outfitter - as there are some seriously shady ones about.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I hunted banteng with Matt Graham on a 2x1 hunt a couple of years ago. Took a nice animal on Day 2 - I think it was(?).

Nice hunting, pleasant location and lovely scenery with sea being around in places, even if it was very hot and humid but it was the end of November and the Wet season was already starting.

Great fun except hunting during the midday was way too hot. Hunting during "winter" in the Dry season would be quite nice.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info,guys.. No real vested interst in chasing them as of yet, but I do find them very interestng/beautiful.. Maybe one of these days after the Aus buff is bagged and after a few more Cape buff hunts are had, I might get the itch..

Now onto finding a good buff outfit down there.. It seems that my hunt to Africa may dissolve before next season and I'm keeping my options open.. The Aus buff may come sooner than later.. This Chapuis 470 is itching to go somewhere next season!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ah hell Scott you can't go to the Land of Oz and not shoot a banteng to go with your buff... remember, you have already paid for your airfare and dailies! Cheaper now rather than later! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you've got the wheels turing, Russ!

But I must admit, you are right.. I'm already there, the daily's are paid, etc..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:

But I must admit, you are right.. I'm already there, the daily's are paid, etc..
Not quite mate...

The Cobourg banteng hunts are separate geographically to your major trophy buffalo hunts. You CAN get a trophy buffalo bull on Cobourg in conjunction with a banteng hunt (for trophy fee only) but you are going to be hunting with a lower trophy expectation out there.

The other factor to consider is the cost of charter - you must by law air charter into and out of Cobourg, so that is going to add about $1800 to the hunt cost to fly in and out...

If you do a dedicated buff hunt and then a Cobourg banteng you will be looking at 8-10 days total and from about $20,000 total cost (including all TFees) plus transfer costs. That is pretty standard rates for what is around at the moment. Comparing this type of combo hunt to some other hunts around the the world at the moment - I actually reckon it is pretty good value...

...just putting things into perspective for you and others....

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and.......... hence the reason I will continue to go to Zim, Moz, etc. to chase Cape buff any and every chance I get (minus this time, of course, for my Ozzie buff)!!!!
dancing

They are nice... but not THAT nice!

It'd be a diff tune altogether if it had been Guar released up in the Coburg all those years ago instead!!

Ahh... but as I said in the other thread, one of these days I'll make a banteng safari a priority.. They are too cool not to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That price was for both the buffalo and banteng hunts together...

Just wondering ... what would be the difference if they were gaur or banteng anyway?? If we had gaur here would you be saying...wish they were a banteng!! Big Grin just kidding...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you do a dedicated buff hunt and then a Cobourg banteng you will be looking at 8-10 days total and from about $20,000 total cost (including all TFees) plus transfer costs. That is pretty standard rates for what is around at the moment. Comparing this type of combo hunt to some other hunts around the the world at the moment - I actually reckon it is pretty good value...

Eeker OK, I take it back!

Seriously though, if I were to travel to Oz I'd probably do both....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote