Find
Notify
Tools

Swandri bush shirt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi!
I am thinking of baying the Swanndri Bush Shirt. Does anyone have any experience wiht this garment? It looks very nice, and I think it will be perfect for the norwegian weather i sep-desember.
I hope you folks have some reports on this shirt!

B.R
Hva146

Posts: 25 | Location: Norway, Eastern part | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mate,I'm not much help.
The national dress of Oz is a Jacky Howe,Stubbies and Double Pluggers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wool is totally out classed by Polar Fleece these days. When wet the Swandri becomes quite heavy, especially the 3/4 length hooded models. But they do keep you warm and they don't melt when an ember from your campfire lands on them! Seriously, wool just isn't worth it anymore, no matter what the climate.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
FC, you forgot to mention thongs; half the dickheads in this country haven't got enough intelligence to do up fucken shoelaces (specially the cunts that vote for Johnny Howard)

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

FC, you forgot to mention thongs; half the dickheads in this country haven't got enough intelligence to do up fucken shoelaces (specially the cunts that vote for Johnny Howard)

...but BAW, I thought you said it was those leather clad, tail gunners that didn't have the intelligence to tie up shoelaces???

Is it the dumbass's that vote for Johnny Howard too?...but that would mean.... ....oh.

Posts: 29 | Location: Brisbane QLD Australia | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a swanni for the days when I was hunting in NZ, and it was excellent. Don't own one presently, but might be good for Victorian samber hunting. I've been to Sweden and I'm sure it would be fine for your climate.

Posts: 85 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I have one that I used all the time in Lithgow and Canberra. They are great. I have the hooded one but got the shits with the hood and had dear old mum cut it off. I still use it up here in the NT during the dry season.

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
BAW:
The double-plugger is the ONLY thong worth wearing! (though some of the young chickies around here certainly know how to make the OTHER kind of thong look GOOD!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the native look my self-
a sparce piece of loin cloth- not so tight so ya can't swing in tha breeze
I mean if you live in the sunshine why wear lots of clothes?
getting naked has always been a favorite pastime of mine!

Posts: 39 | Location: In the middle of it all | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I got a sort of a modern "Swanndri" design in polarfleece.

I find it a nuisance that it doesn't open all the way in the front and someone once enlightened me that that part of the design is really stupid. And they were right. Since then I have seen the light.

My vote goes for polarfleece too.

By the way Kiwis probably claim not having as many buttons to fight with keeps it more warm. But when the average Kiwi hunter on the tops used to wear shorts to go with it .....

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
hva146

There are two Kiwi brands that are really nice. Swandri and Swazi. One is wool the uses mainly synthetics.

I have tired the sythetic way, sure it's light an bla.bla. Gay tex is not my favorite liner since it isn't that great at wick the moisture out.

Even if wool get wet you will be warm. I think wool is better than synthetics

Shorts are great to use when it warm. If it rains you will have less trouble, legs dries lot quicker than cloth

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
when I hunted in NZ I wore a swanndri and shorts, even in cold weather I wore shorts as there was no synthetic alternative, and your legs would dry off, if it became sunny. Better than walking all around all day in wet cotton. I never sat around, and I was never cold hunting Reds. Of course I wouldn't go hunting Reds in Aussie without long pants as there is the snake problem, but I'm not too worried about them as I have spent the last 30 years working in bushland, and haven't so much as observed them. Recently I was up at Imbil Queensland and they killed a Taipan snake, about 6 foot. They have a bad reputation, and deservedly so.
Whilst driving into Imbil I saw a bloke in a blue Toyota, he was the spitting image of Bad Ass Wallace, I wonder?

Posts: 85 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
There are lots of synthetic fabric type clothes out there , but I prefer a good ol swannie for those cold mornings , even if they do get a bit heavy when wet . The gore tex type things are ok if you want a pleasant walk in the bush on a nice day but real men wear swannies , and will continue to for ever ...

Buy the clothes you are happy wearing and bugger what anyone else thinks , what would a warm climate hunter know about cold anyway?

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Muzza

Why are Swandri's cut like a old fashioned nightshirt with buttons only half way down from the neck?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Tradition , man , tradition! Why do guys shirts have the buttons on the opposite side to girls shirts ? Why does the Pope wear funny hats ? Cos thats how it is mate , does there have to be a reason for everything ...?

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never tried the Swandri though a couple of mates of mine wear them when we are deer hunting, Up to a couple of years ago all I used were the ex brit army camos, bloody good gear but a bit heavy and once wet next to useless, found my mrs going through my hunting mags one day and as a joke mentioned I would'nt mind some good gear to wear, never thought for a moment she was trying to find something for me birthday, but blow me down she surprised me with a Stoney Creek "Sambar jacket", the kiwis produced some top quality clothing and I now only use Stoney Creek and Ridgeline while Sambar hunting.

Just a question has anyone come accross the perfect mountian boot which is light and quiet and supports the ankle...cheers.....Les

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent 3 months checking out boots Les.Settled on these Blundstone Mountain Masters-$140.Aussie made,not to dear,lightweight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Les, if ever you and Mrs Les get tired of each other, drop me a line - I would be most appreciative of a wife like that!!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Les

You are right, the Kiwis do make some nice cold weather modern fabric gear. I use it all winter when working outside in the rain, frost or sunshine, whatever. Have used Hunttech, Swazi plus just some standard zip-up jumpers, all in polarfleece or similar. They stay warm, often too hot, if wearing three layers (one water proof) and keep good insulation even when wet without the weight of wet wool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll check out those boots Shaun thanks,
Mate from kiwi just gave me the latest kiwi Hunting and Fishing mag full of adds for clothing and firearms they got it good overthere autos and semis every page lucky bastards..

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yeah Les , lifes a bitch when you have so much choice in semi autos , course it is complicated by being able to own full autos and machine guns as well . But thats the price you guys pay for living in a police state with morons for political leaders ....( actually our leaders are moronic too )

We do make some damn fine outdoor clothing , natural or synthetic , and we dont mind sharing it with the rest of the world . Unfortunately we dont have a local boot that compares with overseas made ones , but some excellent ones are available these days .

<JOHAN>
posted
muzza

I wonder if any of these fantastic outdoor clothing makers has websites? I got the Swandri and Swazi I guess the Kiwi clothes are made in proper sizes.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Johan

try these two.

www.huntech.co.nz
www.ridgeline.co.nz

I have a couple of ridgeline short sleeve sweatshirts and they are fine , mates are using a variety of other makers gear and it seems to be handling all weather conditions and hunting conditions .

most NZ made stuff is available in sizes m,l,xl,xxl and some even bigger . Depends on how you size your self I guess .

Huntech have the following size guide- in cms

tops M L XL XXL
chest 97-102 103-115 116-125 126-135
pants
waist 84-90 91-96 97-105 106-115
trousers
waist 87 91 96 102

Hope that is of some use to you .

<JOHAN>
posted
muzza

Thanks for the help. really nice clothes, much better than some of the Scandinavian ones

I hope they don't mind foreign orders

Cheers

/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Let me know if they will send you the goods , otherwise we can arrange a NZ agent to be the receiving address for you . Then it is just a matter of on-shipping .

<JOHAN>
posted
Muzza

Thanks. I will ask then what solutions they offer. If not, I might have to spend a few weeks in NZ bush while I wait for the stuff

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Nah mate , how about you pay me to deliver it for you ...?