Find
Notify
Tools

Safari in Australia?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Can someone tell me if it is possible to go on a 10 day hunt in Australia and shoot a variety of everything? I have been "instructed" to look at Australia for hunts, thus the change from Africa. I would like to shoot a water buffalo (or two) and a scrub bull. What other animals can be had for the visiting hunter? I'd like to bag about one of everything. Can roo and dingo be hunted and imported into the USA? Thanks for your help.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
You will probably need to hunt in a variety of locations and with either an outfitter that moves around or with a number outfitters.

Here is a variety of game and locations:

Northern Territory:

Water Buffalo

Pigs

Scrub bulls

Geese and ducks

Banteng Bulls (Asian wild cattle)

Sambar deer

Dingoes banned*

plus a number of other deer have been introduced on some Top End cattle farms - rusa and Chital

Maybe one day saltwater crocodile

Central Australia:

Camels

Dingoes

Far North Queensland:

Scrub bulls

Wild boar

Northern Queensland:

Chital Deer

Wild Boar

Southern Queensland:

Red deer - largest red deer herds in Aust

Fallow deer

Goats

Small game

Waterfowl

There are some fenced hunting properties offering a lot of different game

Western Queensland and Western NSW:

Wild pigs

Feral goats

Waterfowl (not NSW except destruction permits)

Small game

Kangaroos? - I believe they have sporting kangaroo permits

NSW:

Rusa

Pigs, goats

Small game

Ducks season banned

Fallow deer

Some red deer

Victoria:

Sambar deer

Hog Deer

Ducks and quail

Some red and fallow deer

South Australia:

Fallow Deer

Some red deer

Feral Goats

Small localised feral pigs

Donkeys

Camels

Dingoes

Small game - rabbits, hares, foxes

Ducks and Quail

Also has the largest fenced hunting "ranch" > 100,000 acres with buffalo, deer: red, sambar, chital, hog, fallow, rusa, wapiti crosses, goats, blackbuck etc

Western Aust:

Pigs

Feral goats

Donkeys

Small game

Oops forgot Tasmania

Fallow deer - largest numbers of fallow in Oz

Wallabies - have a wallaby season

Small game

Geese

Mutton birds

Kangaroos can be hunted in most states but only under destruction permits or by licensed shooters for harvest. I believe Queensland may have a sporting permit. Wallabies can be shot in Tasmania for sporting shooting.

I can recommend some oufitters to contact. PM or email me if you are interested in more information.

(edited to change and add additional information).

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Dingo's are not allowed to be hunted legaly in the NT. You can still kill a dingo in QLD. If you are allowed to shoot a roo under permit, I don't know how you would go exporting it back to the US. These guys may know Taxidermist

To hunt one of everything in 10 days would be impossible I would think unless you hunt behind wire.

Add donkeys and wild horses to Nitro's list and that about rounds it out.

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys, this is most helpful. I Like The NT as it has what seems the best area for the buffalo and scrub bull. What I would hope to be able to do is shoot something like 1-2 water buffalo, 1-2 scrub bulls, a hog, if there's sambar deer maybe one of those and a few brumbies. I will contact the taxidermist you gave me and try to find out. I like taxidermy, so every animal I shoot must be able to be imported into the USA. I'm curious to see if this is possible because I have never seen pictures of an American trophy room with Australian animals. Thanks for your help.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you can import all those trophies....although a brumbie might look a tad strange on your wall!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
200,000 wild Kiwi's could use a bit of culling to control numbers!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I might have two brumbies done as the chess piece pose. I hate horses. Some relatives of mine have 3 horses and they will cancel vacations to spend time with the horses. It's not like they see them every other darn day. The brumbies are scapegoats.

Sevens

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Dingoes can be shot on sight in South Australia. We have lots of sheep here . Probably also Western Australia, not sure about NSW but I think they can. I think they are protected in Victoria.

Sambar deer in the Northern Territory are on or near the Coburg Peninsula (same as banteung). Numbers for safaris would be limited. They MAY have been introduced elsewhere but I don't know.

If you can afford it hunt book a banteng hunt as well. They are NOT scrub bulls but true wild cattle and can't be hunted anywhere else to my knowledge. They are definitely out of my price range.

PS I am going to telephone Gary Pegg at South Pacific Taxidermy tommorrow so can ask him the question. He has a cape buffalo and a zebra mount ready to ship to me .

I have been trying to find out if a foreign hunter can shoot a kangaroo and export it for some time.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote