Find
Notify
Tools

Bit off Topic - But
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
If I were to buy a digital camera for hunting or game shots what sort would be best?

I have been looking at a Canon S1 with 10x optical & 3.2x digital zoom (total 32x)which takes 3.2m pixel stills and up to a 45min movie, or a Canon 730i camcorder which has 20x optical and 55x digital zoom (total 550x)but only takes 0.8m pixel stills but up to 90min full sound movies. This one you can plug into your TV and replay the movie through it.

I need this for work (Johnny Howard discount) but would be used for a bit of play also.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Just type in Digital camera Reviews and check them out.Remember to get good macro for the closeups.

Here ya go old man I'll throw you a bone.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canons1is/

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I have thought about a digital as well BUT after speaking to the photographers on base they told me that unless I want to spend $1000s on a camera the picture quality won't be the same as my 35mmSLR. Mind you I'm taking pictures for future articles not just my own use. Now if I were to go digital the photog guys said to buy one with 3 pixels and above.
You have to ask yourself if you take mainly stills for work or not.

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
My digital is an el-cheapo but it has 5 megapixels , 12x zoom and can take short videos - like 90 seconds . Has sound and all sorts of other stuff that I dont know how to drive , but it does the job and is fairly compact. Some of the better name cameras are too big to be practical for taking out in the bush , and most of them have far too many features anyway . I guess the best one for you is the one that you decide is right , irrespective of what everyone else thinks .

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAW,
I went through this exercise not too long ago. Here are a few pointers for your consideration.

Only buy based on the Optical Zoom. I have a Nikon 4300 and don't waste my time with Digital Zoom. The pictures look worse as I think they use a type of interpolation similar to some of the cheaper image scanners on the market.

Check out the type of memory sticks they take as the prices can vary dramatically.

Also check out spare batteries and what type of charging options are available.

Here is where I bought mine www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au they had the best price in the Sydney Metro area.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Feral_Goz

Posts: 56 | Location: Australia NSW | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a good macro.

Nikon 4300