Notify
Tools

Re: Pig Dogs????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Boghossian

If you want more information on using hounds to hunt sambar deer check out these links:

Extracts from the Victoria Hunting Guide at NitroExpress.com

See the second post.

Australian Deer Assoc

Look under Deer on the top menu and Sambar deer on the side menu

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I've only hunted with a border-collie finder who would zigzag about 150yds either side of my walk and bark the location. This dog "Duke" would stand off 15-20yds and only ever nip a pig after I shot it, just to ensure himself that it was dead.
One night I was too slow to restrain him and he went after a big pig after sundown and wouldn't let up untill I shot it by torchlight. Very un-nerving looking for an enraged boar after dark.
The finder dog is a much better pigging method than having to sew up or bury a good companion because a big boar has ripped him to pieces.
Although some 'hunters' treat a dog as just another mongrel and tough tits if it gets killed (I'll get another one from the pound), my dog is my mate and look after him.
The border-collie, as a breed is the most faithfull and ward-working I know. Old Duke eventually died from a scrub tick poison, and the long fur is a definate minus for a hunting dog in this country.
My current two year old "Boof" knows more about guns & reloading than a damned lot of shooters. Never misses a reloading / cleaning session in the gun room. Soon as I pick up a rifle he looks at me as if to say "We off now boss eh eh ?"

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bad Ass

It is very unusual to have a border collie as a hunting dog.

On the family farm we used to have a fair number of sheep - up to a thousand - and always had a sheep dog or two. Ours were border collie/kelpie crosses. The kelpie for energy and enthusiasm and the border collie for steadiness and less activity (than a kelpie).

But all of these dogs except one were gun shy and some were terribly so. One of the last was so gun shy he would hide for many hours hidden under bushes if a shot went off. Unfortunately he convinced later dogs to be the same way. He also knew I would murder him one day with a gun and actually he was right. But by then he was very old, couldn't walk, was deaf and going blind as well. His younger mate knew what I had done and was never the same after that as well.

I had a German hunter visiting a while ago and he advised GSP were not good for boar. Too slow to move and likely to get gored. I would have thought a border collie would be similar. He liked the smaller agile dogs, obviously not for holding but for finding and then keeping out of the way.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bad Ass

It is very unusual to have a border collie as a hunting dog.

Nitro,
You have never met Bad Ass,he's very unusual.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The finder dog is a much better pigging method than having to sew up or bury a good companion because a big boar has ripped him to pieces.
Although some 'hunters' treat a dog as just another mongrel and tough tits if it gets killed (I'll get another one from the pound), my dog is my mate and look after him.

I'm the same, I took my ridgeback (Fred) pig hunting, he was about 7 at the time, we found some small pigs and I let him go. He'd never seen a pig before and had a great time chasing them, didn't grab hold of one but had a great time none the less. He went through a fence and cut his leg, so I rushed him to the vet and $60 later he was home doing his guard dog duties. I couldn't hunt with dogs, they would cost me a fortune in vet bills. Fred has not been out since.I would like to get a pup from him and train it to scent and indicate pigs, then I would sneek up and shoot them. No danger to the dog and I get a good hunting mate.

Posts: 7990 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Quote:

But by then he was very old, couldn't walk, was deaf and going blind as well. .

Shhiiit! is that my fate my current physical condition is gettin like that old dog

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I read Wallace's comments about his Border Collie I was about to chime in about that being unusual, but NitroX beat me to it...

We get of lads over here who work terriers to fox underground and some of those don't think any more of their dogs than say their spade...just a tool for the job...

I am like you guys, in fact I only worked my terrier a couple of times on fox as I was too worried about the dangers involved.

Some of the poachers around here use GSP X greyhounds/whippets for deer; I would think they would make quite a good pig dogs if you did not want one to catch them up..

Regards

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Is it legal to course deer with dogs in Australia?
BTW does anyone do it anyway??

I know that jagd terriers/jack russels/ fox terriers, are popular for driven boar in Europe, and should be able to do good work on baying feral hogs too...

BTW, I have been wondering for awhile now, why don't people use a humane killer on pigs? It would be quicker and easier than with a knife...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
boghossian

Not Bakes, but it is legal to hunt deer with hounds in Victoria, specifically the sambar deer which is asporting proposition.

In some states such as SA there are no restrictions at all except what the landowner tells you. However most sporting clubs have requirements.

Most states have some sort of laws though.

As for pig sticking, I don't see why it is "inhumane" (strange term to use for animals I always think) to stab a pig in the heart with a bayonet or knife. Or cut its jugular.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Pete
I spoke to a civi guy at work today that uses Bull Arab's. He said that the pure greyhound and whippets have skin that is to thin. It tears easily on sticks and thorns, let alone pig teeth. Most guys x the greyhound. In fact the bull arab has greyhound in it, as well as English fox hound.

Boghossian
Is a humane killer the thing they use in the meatworks? If so its hard to put it on the pigs forehead when the pig is on its back. Usually the bloke grabs the pig, flips it on its side and stickes a large knife in its heart, its very quick.
As Nitro said you can use dogs to hunt deer in Victoria but only certain types, ie the gundogs and the fox hound types (Ridgebacks are out ). I think the laws say that the dogs CAN'T bite and hold the deer, only bail? Someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you more.

Posts: 7990 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote