Find
Notify
Tools

Flinders Rangers a bueatiful place
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted
I noticed that we have at least one member from the Ranges and I have been thinking about our trips through there.
Some of the most spectacular scenery. Our first trip was through Yunta, Frome Downs and on to Arkaroola back when Griselda was alive. A bueat place. took heaps of photos. Another great trip was wilpena Pound, then Blinman, Paranchilna and home.
Blinman was nice.
When Lake Eyre was last in flood, we stayed at the Lyndhurst pub for a few nights and explored the area. Farina was something, the old ruins there. the Lake wass impressive. Talc Alf was different-- as dry as talc.
Birdsville track further north is looking good for next holidays and home through Innaminka then Milparinka and Broken hill.

A female teacher left here 2o years ago and works as a ranger up there.
Sometimes, sitting in a class room, I wish I had the "nature" to throw in my secure, well-paid job for one working out doors in the Flinders.

When I retire, i intend to spent a fair bit of time up there hunting.
Different local members of our Field and Game Club club go up that way hunting fairly often.

We also have people drive the 8 hours PLUS from the Milparinka Field and Game to shoot at our club and visa versa. Yep, I know Milparinka is no where near the Flinders. just rambling.

Anyway, you are quite lucky to be living out in the Flinders, those members who are.

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello GreybeardBushman
I have never been to the flinders ranges. My girlfriend wants to take me up there camping in a few weeks time. Have also joined the SSAA H&C so hunting up there may also be on the cards soon.
Hope it lives up to the expections you are building. Personally I would swap them for the vic alps. But that is pretty naive having not been there yet. Wink

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Winter/spring are the best times to go there.
Summer is stinking hot and dusty and the flies are something else..........

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some pictures of the Northern Flinders Ranges.

A rugged and beautiful place.

More photos

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I've hunted many times on a station near the Gammon Ranges National Park (where the SSAA go). Never climbed the Gammons myself, they are rugged and spectacular. The station I hunted on used to have thousands of feral goats, some donkeys and also occasional camels in the North blocks. Haven't been there for way too long.

Also many many trips to Wilpena Pound. Several Primary School and High School camps there, plus I have taken foreign visitors there as well. Climbing to Saint Mary's Peak gives one spectacular views over the Ranges and the Pound and also views to the Salt Lake to the West on the plains. An easy climb is to the top of John's Nob. Smiler From the campsite or resort it is also an easy walk into the Pound through the creek pass. The Pound is a large circular ring of mountains with a gorge to the West, and a creek pass to the North. The inside of the pound was once used for some farming and cattle, but is now a National Park.

Never been to Mount Remarkable which is further South but also looks very interesting.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
Winter/spring are the best times to go there.
Summer is stinking hot and dusty and the flies are something else..........

I lived there for 11 years ,my favorite time of year in the ranges is autumn ,summer's to hot ,springs to windy .The best time is late April- May, if its a mild winter June is great to.

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
An easy climb is to the top of John's Nob. Smiler

Yes have heard stories of Johns Nob being smaller than it looks Wink

The posted pictures look great. Am pretty embarrassed I haven't made it up there yet. will definetely have to get up there before summer
cheers
robe

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
bewildered Its just red scrubby hills sofa

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7979 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you are right in a way.

If you live in rainforest, desert can look good.

If you live in a desert, the Alps look great.

I guess I just like thinking about green grass on the other side of the fence.

Yeah, too much beer beer AGAIN.

But Gayle is still talking to me.

Ross

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flinders Ranges ? Gods country Mate !!!!
Bakes ya a hethen! Big Grin
I'm lucky enough to live & occastion work here ! Most of my time is spent away on the edge of the desert! But it's great to come home & just sit & take in the views from any of our windows esp as we've had some rain this year! The best part being I'm 11km's from the nearest town (Quorn) I like my space as it were!

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just me.

Have really enjoyed all I have seen of the Flinders.

BTW, a teacher from here got involved with Doug Spr from up at the top end of the Ranges 20 odd years ago and it ended very poorly. He had more women that foxes have fleas.

Both Reg and Griselda were then still a live so you know who I am referring to. D o K, did you ever meet them?

I did. I'll email you privately sometime if you are interested and IF I remember this in the morning. Bit doudtfull on the remembering. No foxes in the swamps so we were on the grog (great Victoria Bitter) by about 1 pm.

She stayed over there to work, somewhere around Wilpena Pound. Great girl. She'd be damn near 55 now.

Decided she loved the desert better than the country around here.

Was a real sad story all around.

Greybeard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both Reg and Griselda were then still a live so you know who I am referring to. D o K, did you ever meet them?

Mate she was better known as Vinager tits! Eeker
& feel free to e-mail me

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote