Find
Notify
Tools

Quail and fox
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted
Wondering how others are finding the year. There is a fair bit of discussion on AHN but I thought I'd try a tread here.

There are a lot of foxes around this year. I've done well driving stubbles during the day with shotguns but a fair number of locals are getting a decent number at night with their centrefires. One older cockie got 8 last night (a combination of centrefire long range shots and chasing them with shotguns).

Also wistled up two...... and got a couple of others through being lucky with the right gun at the right time in the right spot

But there seems to be no one getting quail. There is just no water, no green tucker in the paddocks and most stubbles are getting pretty raggid by now. None of the local farmers seem to have seen any of significance lately....

A couple have mentioned seeing a few way back during the harvest.

We really need a few really wet years for many reasons. Get water in the rivers, dams and swamps. All the swamps are dry. Put some moisture out in the soil in the paddocks. Ducks along the channels but many dams dry too.

It has started raining here tonight so will rain up a storm soon Roll Eyes

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few Quail here and there, but the little fella's seem thin on the ground.
Like yourself, I have seen more foxes than anything else.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote