THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Ed's Red - To the poster who posted then deleted thread on Ed's Red

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ed's Red - To the poster who posted then deleted thread on Ed's Red
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On Sunday, someone from Aus posted a thread on Ed's Red and a question on one of the items in the formula, specifically abut it not being available in Aus.

He then deleted the thread as I was answering it.

If the person sends me a PM with contact details
- Tel No, Email address, I have the "Australian"
version of he formula with products made from items available in Aus.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
505G

If you would, would you post the Australian version. I would like to see the differences.

One batch last a while for the non competitive shooter.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, it will take a short while.

It's more to do with the chemicals that are available here, a mate in Darwin told me
what was what and the rest I worked out.

you'll see when I post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed’s Red using Aussie components !
(The manufacturer of them is based in Melbourne
- I think it is called "diggers".)

1 lt of Automatic transmission fluid (any type)

1 lt of Diggers PURE GUM turpentine

1 lt of Diggers low odour kerosene

1 lt of Diggers Acetone

Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant.

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the other container to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and stirring until it is all dissolved.

NOTE
I can get all four of these in quart containers. I pour them all into a 1 gallon GASOLINE container, shake and USE! It'll eat HDPE plastic containers. Got to be approved PVC or PET containers.
*This stuff will eat Nitrile gloves!*

Put all together in 4 lt thinners tin (so the acetone cant get out) use little glass bottle
to dispense it. Keep lid on when not in use.

I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining mix.

Also can mix just some of the the ATF and Kerosene together for a nice oil for lubricating things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordinary mineral turpentine can be used instead of the much more expensive GUM turpentine. Not much difference in performance although the Gum turps smells better.
Same applies to the kerosene, no performance difference between the types, just that the low odour doesn't smell as bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:
Ordinary mineral turpentine can be used instead of the much more expensive GUM turpentine. Not much difference in performance although the Gum turps smells better.
Same applies to the kerosene, no performance difference between the types, just that the low odour doesn't smell as bad.

Correct on both points.

In fact the 'Stoddard solvent' used by Ed Harris in the original Ed's Red formula is very closely equivalent to Oz 'Mineral Turpentine' [which is available as a low-odour product too].

He didn't specify 'gum turpentine' [aka 'spirits of turpentine'], and neither did the original formula he updated, 'Frankford Arsenal Nitro-Solvent Gun Cleaner No. 18' [Ref. 'Hatcher's Notebook', p. 352].

Another minor point is that Ed did specify GM [Dexron, II or III] spec Auto Transmission Fluid.
Dunno that this makes much difference though - I'm using up some Mercedes-Benz spec ATF in my current mix, and it works just as well.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent information, thanks for that.

You are correct re the Dexron, II or III, I must have omitted that from the info my mate sent me.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry, 505G, that was me who wrote and deleted the post.

It started out as a rant against the lack of really useful, critical product reviews and information in a certain magazine these days but finally disappeared up its own verinculum, so I deleted it.

I might be interested in Ed's Red Plus, which apparently handles copper fouling, not just lead and powder.

Posts: 4967 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman

Send me a PM with tel number.

I also have a commercially available product that I purchased that is very much like Ed's Red that
saves having to mix it.