Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Mannlicher 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All

Several months ago I asked about Geoff Slee's stockmaking. Well I ended up sending him a rifle and a blank and thought you might like to see the finished product. I'm really pleased with the results.

I also had the claw mounts fitted and a reblue.
Hope you enjoy.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for the pictures

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet Rifle!
Austrian optics as well.
How did you find your dealings with Slee?
I would be happy to test it out on Cape Buff and Leopard next month if you'd like. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thats very nice GG. clap

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I love them, it's soooo nice to see a custom rifle built on something other than a Mauser or Winchester. You've got yourself a really fine piece there.

Did this one start life as a 9.3x62, or have you had it rebarrelled as well? From what I can see Bob did a nice job with the mounts.

BTW - the photocopies arrived in the mail on Friday. Thanks for sending them over.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am with Stu, especially for someone like me who doesn't like the M70.

What brand are the mounts? Recknagel?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Stu
Glad the photocopies showed up ok. This was the MS I bought in the UK and the stock was broken in the mail. Yes it has always been a 9.3x62. Shot a couple of boars with it the other night -Jesse, my 13 year old used it to shoot a nice boar at 100m and handled it no worries at all - another rifle I've lost I suppose!!! Smiler

D99
The mounts are EAW brand.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi GG

That really is beautiful. Slee does some really nice work...

Can you give us an idea of the cost of the blank and the work? Turn around time? Where did you source the blank?

Cheers mate
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a load of junk in a useless calibre, you should sell it, I happen to have a few hundred dollars lying around,will you take $NZ250 for it? Wink

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate...That is magnificent!
So much better seeing proper wood and steel for a change Eeker

Posts: 109 | Location: Jabiru NT | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt

To be honest I don't remember how much the blank cost - probably around about $1000 US. I bought it from Denli in Turkey 3 or 4 years ago. It didn't look half as good as a blank! Slee's work was around $1200 with me supplying the grip cap and rear swivel base and it took him about 3 months. Glad you like it. I'm really happy with what I got for the $$!

oldun, how did you ever make it thru middle age to old age?? Big Grin

Wiz, yeah I love wood and blued steel - it has depth and soul - I've tried to like stainless and synthetic a few times but keep changing back. I do own a stainless rifle but it has a xxx walnut stock and the barrel furniture, mounts, grip cap and swivel bases are blued steel - and it has 3 barrels (.338 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag and .257 Weatherby Mag) so it's pretty versatile.

Cheers.

GG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:

oldun, how did you ever make it thru middle age to old age?? Big Grin

GG

Well now that made me laugh out loud, and that keeps me young, goodonyamate. The rifle is a very nice bit of kit. thumb

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice looking rifle. Smiler

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote