New
Find
Notify
Tools

sambar rifle selection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok got a question for you Sambar hunters out there,what is your considered (not favourite cal.)most logical and practical sambar rifle calibre,and type of action ,weight etc and sighting equipment.

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although I haven't been after Sambar for years, I would take my 9.3x62 or a light scoped double in 9.3x74R.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Have been using a mod 70 Win 7mm mag for near over 30 years and it continues to kill to this day. As its done the job for so long it comes (cal) highly recommended...my safe has a 308 Norma mag, a 300 win mag and a .358 Norma mag of which I have used all successfully on sambar....none kills them any better than my 7mm mag,forget what the books say!

Ammo ? I use Win factory 150 grain Sp`s,smack a big stag in the shoulder...he`s your`s!

Bush hunting for years 2-7x33 Leupold

Fringe/bush Zeiss 3.5-10x44 ATM

num 4 stock,num two barrel and num 4 scope

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just started using a 9.3 x 62 like ozhunter after using a .300 H&H for years and love it.Its a sauer takedown nice rilfe and cal knocks them flat. Also have .35 wheelen remington pump for use over the hounds,practical light weight through around gun also good cal

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a remington pumpy in 35 whelan to smack a 25 incher last week,very effective but pumps just dont feel right to me.

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bit disappointed here thought this topic might have started some informed debate and useful info eg.levers vs pumps peep sights as compared to scopes .come on guys

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer a scope with an objective bell of at least 42mm and preferably 50mm as to be able to get in a shot at last light. And this certainly gos for Sambar (have learned this the hard way!).

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Just use a spot light on last light sofa

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
My very limited Sambar hunting,i carried 300RUM,but bolt action 375 with 2.5-8X scope is my choice,BAR 338WIN MAG would be nice stir

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the budget would allow, I'd go for a 9.3x74, either a Beretta under/over or a Merkel side/side with a fixed, low power European scope in quality swing mounts.

That said, a stainless synthetic 30/06 by Ruger, Remington etc fitted with a Leupold 2.5x8 or similar would be hard to beat.

Next time I hunt sambar, it will be with my Parker Hale 375H&H topped a Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6X42.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Win with 130 gr projectiles is the legal minimum in Victoria.
An awful lot of people use a 30-06...
John is pretty close to the ideal with his 7mm RM. Cool

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seen a few taken with the 22/250 and it worked really well, i use an 06 and like the 200 gn noslers , i prefer the heavy for cal proj
However when it boils down to the crux of the matter, its shot placement!
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
when? at night in the light

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
My personal choice would be a 9.3x62 or .35 Whelan. I have taken a stag with my 9.3 x74R double and it was superbly effective and the instantaneous second shot is a very important capability when shooting running sambar in the scrub. But due to the cost of these rifles, I don't consider a double to be a practical rifle for most hunters.

Then next fastest action, which is legal in Oz, is the pump action and, as these are reasonably priced, I would have to rate a pump action .35 Whelan as my choice for the best practical sambar rifle.

Sights? You need something that will give you clear and unmistakable aiming in all legal lighting conditions. You also need something that you can shoot running game with, as most sambar seen by the average hunter are already in "top gear".

In my opinion, the best scope for this purpose is the Trijicon 1.25-4x or the newer 1-4x both with the post (triangle) reticle. These scopes have clear optics with an illuminated reticle that does NOT require batteries and is self-adjusting to the light conditions, which means that they are always ready to use. Set on 4x and shooting with both eyes open you have the best of both a magnified scope and a red-dot sight in one unit. This is the way the military now shoot and it is because it is the best way to shoot.

The light transmission of these scopes is at least equal to that of Swarovski's excellent scopes, the glass is crystal clear and they are built by the company that manufactures combat optics for the US military, and many other military forces including our special forces - so they are rugged and built to take the knocks.

Yes, I do work for Trijicon, but my opinion of these products was formed BEFORE I joined the company and I have been using them in the field for a number of years, before I joined the company, and have replaced all of my Leopolds and Swarovskis with these scopes.

There you go, Sambar02, you wanted some controversy and maybe I have provided it for you - wait and see the responses to my comments about optics!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote