New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fishing near Robe S.A.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this is a hunting forum but I have been washing my testicles in the "Great Southern Ocean" and I finally caught an Australian Salmon.

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of blacks
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell mate, that's not far from my home, and only a stonethrow to top fallow deer country.

Long beach is a beautiful spot...nice fish you got there. Not the best eating, but fun to catch.

Cheers,

blacks

"You won't shoot anything at home on the couch...."

Posts: 92 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 24 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Split em down the middle, cover with salt and brown sugar, and smoke em on the beach with one of those portable smokers and they are beauty.
Great fighters too if you use a trout rod. Its nearly run time for them here, where they pack in by the thousands to certain west coast river mouths. Nothing better than a flyrod in hand with hundreds and hundreds of fins breaking the surface a scant 15 meters from the bank.

Posts: 4316 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you got them over there Shanks. What do you gys call them?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
FISH

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Muzza, I got to shake my head at times.
Kahawhai is the name we call them Bakes.

Posts: 4316 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Shanks .....

You can always tell an Aussie - you just cant tell them much ..... stir

Just got a new-to-me rig for kahawai fishing , hope to try it out in the next week or two which should be interesting cos I have no idea on what you do - apart from bleeding the fishy as soon as its caught .

Maybe we need a "fishing" thread?

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have ya got a spot? If they are running up here its not hard, any cheap shiny thing with a hook in it will catch more than you can eat.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
FISH...since when did you start speaking english, I thought you call them FUSH. sofa

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering your knees are hardly wet, your testicles must live in a fairly unusual spot !!
Nice fish - best smoked.

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Shanks - theres a few spots on our bit of the west coast that are accessable , river mouths etc where one might practice the gentlemanly art of fushing.( note that I wont be feeshing tho )

have a mate that professes to know all there is to know about kahawai , and a small boy who knows everything else , so should be good to go ....

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
What other species do you guys get over there? Bream, Whitting, Flathead, Taylor? I know you get snapper and Kingy's...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trevally, though not the big ones.

Tarakihi maybe? http://www.wildblue.co.nz/fish...dlinessand/tarakihi/

Porae
http://www.wildblue.co.nz/fish...dlinessand/tarakihi/

Probably a lot of others

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
We call tarakihi Morwong and the Porae we call blackfish or niggers in the days before PC. Nigger fishermen were old blokes with center spin rels and cane baskets on their hips. Very secretive bunch.
I just googled fishes of NZ and there are a few species that are found in both countries.Bream and whitting haven't made it over there. Wonder why considering snapper and John dory have.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
water temperature most likely Bakes. You guys have much warmer water around you than we do so the cold water fishies stay here .

Of course our fish species may be much more discerning than yours , and appreciate when they are onto a good thing... dancing

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Are yes but there are bream and flathead in Tassie to Muzza.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
many of the inhabitants of Tasmania are broad of bream and have flatheads too Bakes. Wink ( so I'm told ...)

Fish go where they please , there arent many fences under the sea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck up some pics of common Aussie fish caught by rec fishers Bakes, maybe a few there that we know.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
just dont show them wrapped in newspaper and surrounded by cheeps.....

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
And two heads Muzza...

Here you go Shanks. These four are the main stay of estury fishing over here. There are different types of all these fish and it depends on which part of the country as to which one you catch. For instance Black bream are found in the southern states, sliver bream around the middle part of the eastern states and Pikey bream up North, NT . Same with whitting,you have King George down south, Summer and winter whitting nearly everywhere else. The main flat head in the rivers is the dusky but there are flat head species off shore right around the country. All are top eating.
Bream

Whitting

Flathead

Garfish

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen the cod but we get the other two in southern states.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of fish is this??

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
looks like a perch of some sort

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I'd call that a wrasse.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I think I'd be more concerned about Duffy wearing a shirt with what looks like a sheep on it ...

Be carefull mate , one of those Aussies will sneak up on ya while you are bending over and ... well , -you can imagine the result for yourself.

Tha fish still looks like a perch . Sea or fresh water ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
I'd call that a wrasse.

Yep.
Juvenile blue throat wrasse, probably. They're a salt water fish, and common in Western Vic and SE South Aust.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote