Find
Notify
Tools

Want to hunt Hog Deer for $10 !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
I've put up a ballot form which can be downloaded for the annual Blond Bay Hog Deer ballot.

Only costs $10 and is open to non-residents as well.

Hog Deer Ballot

Follow the links to download a form.

-

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could You Explain NitroX how us USA Boys could go about doing this.... Sence i can go about doing the Cape Buff drawings this hog deer drawings sound nice.

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ninja
The closing date for the 2004 hunt is 28 November 03. I don't think you'll make it. If you want info for the next ballot, write a letter to the address on the bottom of the ballot. They should help you out. Or if you still want to come out check out the web for some outfitters. Don't forget there is Sambar to hunt as well.

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
N-H

The ballot for 2004 has closed. But it is almost certain that there will be another in 2005.

It isn't an outfitter or "web" raffle. It is an official government sanctioned ballot run by the Blond Bay Hog Deer Advisory Committee.

You send your $10 and form in and they choose about 4 hunters per week of the period. Usually about 60 to 100 if there is more than one area. You get allocated a non-transferable week if you get drawn. If you can't make it a reserve takes your place.

You attend a briefing on the Monday morning and get to the hunting area afterwards. Hunt self guided until Friday midday or 3pm. You bring your own supplies, cook your own food, setup your own camp at the designated camp ground, scout the area yourself, do your own hunting, if successful, carry it out yourself, skin and gut it yourself etc. No hand holding by professional hunters for "professional" clients involved here.

You have to get there yourself and your own rifle (.243 and up- 80gr bullets). I used my .30-06 with 200 gr Semi-RN old style Nosler Partitions (Sambar deer) bullets. You would also need to buy a Vic game licence for deer as a guess $70 (?)

They might tell you to take a doe or a stag. Personally I would take either.

My two trips I loved the hunting and the thick wet country and sea air. Hopefully will get drawn again one day.

Bakes is right in a overseas hunter would want to combine it with a sambar hunt.

Bakes

Outfitters would charge an arm and a leg for a hog deer hunt.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote