New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importing Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering what the word is on the grape vine about importing reloading dies direct? Specifically CH dies from the US.
Is it covered by some regulation or just like mail ordering normal goods?

Thanks for any replies.
Karl

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
No problem importing dies. Don't even a Customs form 709(B). Any brass case however is a no no!
I deal direct with CH a lot and they will have your order here in about 4-5 days.
orders@ch4d.com

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know what can and can't be imported? Got a list?

Karl
PC put me onto these blokes Grafs They have some good prices, I'm thinking of these blokes for my .416 bits.

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
I sent an e-mail to Customs last week, querying if I needed to fill in any forms to get some recoil springs and hand grips. They sent me the following link
www.customs.gov.au then click on "Import/Export" on the left hand side and then on "Importing Goods". You should then see a "Firearms and Weapons" section. That will give you an idea on what you can do without extra paperwork. I placed an order with Wolffe Springs, so I'll see how it goes.

Feral_Goz

Posts: 56 | Location: Australia NSW | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks Feral

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes
What I have found out so far is you need a permit for the following
Brass
Actions
Magazines
Bullets
Ammo
complete firearms
Unsure on barrels, and other gun parts.
be aware they have really clamped down on wood products, was thinking of importing a semi finished stock but was unsure how it would go.
We had some fabric imported on pallets at work customs stopped the shipment and because they had some bark on the wood they would not allow the pallets (pallets only not the fabric) to be fumigated, they had to be destroyed by them,
$750 to destroy 2 pallets.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can add barrels and triggers to your list.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416SW I understand where your coming from but what gets me at the end of the day. They will import fresh food products from 3rd world countries with the most vicious pests on board. I've seen what these outsiders can do first hand and it's not nice. oh yes had a set of dies (338 lapua) sent to me from CH4D about 2 months ago no probs at all.
regards

Posts: 115 | Location: Hills of North Qld | Registered: 30 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a pleasant surprise to be able to bring them over just like that. Thanks all for ther info.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote