Find
Notify
Tools

Casting Accurate Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Because of the rain yesterday, I decided to cast some more bullets for the Sharps.
Running 4 single cavity moulds, 506gn 45, 490gn 45, 445gn 50cal and 408gn 45, I managed to cast 386 projectiles in just 3 hours. I like to have my melt just hot enough to pour and at no time did we see any of the fawn or purple colours that form on the surface. Similarly the moulds are just hot enough to fill out without wrinkles. Any bullet that doesn't show a filled out and flat base was rejected immediately.
Last night I sat down and weighed them all allowing a variation of just +/- 0.2gn (i.e a variation of just 0.04%). Just 4 rejects in total!
My good friend, Slim, was amazed as his own reject rate is about 20%. I always run 3 moulds minimum to give each one time to solidify and thus shrink so that there is no effort to gently rap the mould to clear the bullet. Many just fell out after opening the handles.
I think that many failures to cast good bullets lies in the fact that casters try to run one or two moulds without giving them time to cool between pourings. This would also explain the feathering that others have on their finished bullets.
The point of this thread is to show that it is possible to cast good bullets with single cavity moulds at a rate exceeding 125/hour provided the melt and the moulds are kept no hotter than necessary.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
BAW,

When I am casting I run a similar arrangement to yours but mostly so that I can produce as many projectiles as possible while the lead is molten. This was particularly important back in the 'bad old days' when I was casting for pistol as well. Nowadays, I only cast for rifles as there are plenty of cheap, cast pistol bullets available but many Aussies still are not aware of how effective cast bullets can be in rifles for both target, plinking and hunting.

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote