New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ550 in 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just about to hand over the cash for a new CZ 550 in 416 Rigby and before I do, anyone have experience with the new 550, pros and cons, I know the stock looks a bit crap with the hogback and the sling swivel fixed to the forend instead of the barrel but maybe a new stock later on. It's the only off the shelf 416 I can find for the price, lay it on guys gotta know....thanks..

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Have the barreled action glass bedded. If you don't like the shape of the stock (which I don't) you can take a rasp to it and reshape it to look like a classic express-style stock. You can also cut off the forend tip at the sling stud, add an ebony tip, and add a barrel band sling stud. I'd also straighten the bolt handle and weld the hole in the knob and maybe replace the safety with a M70-type. The most important thing is to glass bed.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ 550 SAfari Mag in the standard grade is kind of a beginning point ... two things to do immediately:

1) bed and cross bolt the stock. Don't shoot it before this is done. There are a number of posts on how to do this if your handy.

2) check the firing pin to see if the spring is retained by an knurled nut or a clip. The knurled nut is more certain.

The issue of the safety is one I can't makeup my mind about. The problem is that is that if you set the safety while working the bolt, the rifle will be on safe when the bolt is closed. Can be modified (is on post on how to do that). Can be replaced. Can learn to live with it if you can remember things when you're heavily stressed.

The hole in the bolt handle doesn't bother me.

The hogback isn't pretty in my opinion, but it is useful and with bedding it'll hold up.

Mine is accurate ... holding 1 1/4" groups at 200 yards with 350 grain Barnes X bullets. Load is running 2680 fps and one shot killed a Gemsbock decisively!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I've got both the American and European (hogback) stocks. Of the two I honestly like the European a little more though. It has a prettier stock. Both were bedded from CZ-USA in Kansas City at a very reasonable price and the work was acceptable given we aren't working with a swiss watch in the first place. I took some Acraglas Gel bedding compound, mixed with a couple drops of ink I use in my stamp pad. Then I (after cleaning the hole with Gun Scrubber) dobbed the mixture in the hole. The outcome was okay to my liking and others surely could do better, but it worked just fine for me. By the way I like the Speer 350 grain Mag Tips and Barnes X 400 grain bullets which provide excellent accuracy. Good shooting! Mike

FourTails

Posts: 915 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I suppose I better clarify where I put the mixture. In the bolt hole. Sorry. Mike

FourTails

Posts: 915 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine needed rail work and a new mag spring to work reliably enough for dangerous game. Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, ringing my gunsmith today and get a quote on the modifications needed..thanks again..

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ensure you get it bedded !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote