Notify
Tools

F*&#
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Its taken awhile.....but I just went COVID positive for the first time. Mad Mad

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you get over it quickly.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All things come to he who waits!

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:

A parting gift from Tanzania Tony ....??

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
quote:

A parting gift from Tanzania Tony ....??

No a gift on my return! Big Grin

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Our youngest son who lives between home and his girlfriends place has just this week come down with Covid for the second time. His girlfriend had it last week so obviously passed it on. My wife has had it once but I have to date not succumbed to the temptation despite being in close quarters to it.
Perhaps the one or two glasses of good old Glenfiddich single malt I have each week keeps it at bay Smiler

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle 27 at our age a booster jab might beat any amount of Scotch!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:
Eagle 27 at our age a booster jab might beat any amount of Scotch!

I have had the two initial jabs for Covid and then one booster but some time since the booster and have lost track of what is available now. I always have an annual flu shot so maybe that helps keep the immune system on its guard.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Why even take the test? Just the flu

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
Why even take the test? Just the flu

Exactly, the 'man' flu tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flu didn't kill 27 people in NZ last week.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flu didn't kill 27 people in NZ last week.

Actually if you look up flu statistics, more than just a few people die from influenza in NZ every year, over the last 30 years an average of 695 a year, 1197 the highest for one year and 382 the lowest. Sure Covid is more virulent but flu isn't just a common cold either. They're all something we just have to live with.
Get you're stress levels up worrying over it and you're more likely to die of heart failure or cancer shame

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true! But when your wife is immunocompromised and the chemo has stopped working and even the mild covid now around would not be good you have a booster every 6 months.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very true! But when your wife is immunocompromised and the chemo has stopped working and even the mild covid now around would not be good you have a booster every 6 months.

Sorry to hear that. This time 21 years ago I was in the middle of 6 months of three weekly cycles of the CHOP chemotherapy so I know the feeling. Carrying a purple priority card to get urgent admission to hospital to go on high strength antibiotics in the case of even a small scratch was not overly joyful. I'm sure if Covid had been around back then things would have been a bit different for me and those around me while my immune system was knocked out.
I hope things turn out okay for you and family.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
My issue is - why would you take a booster if you are then more likely to get the ailment that you have had a booster to protect you from??

All those people who are now medically damaged or dead as a result of " doing the right thing " by getting jabbed might have a differant opinion if asked now .

Covid is an illness of the vaccinated . You dont need to look very hard to find the statistics that show that to be the case.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your travails, Tony. Travelling on planes is a good way to get covid, for sure.

As one who respects science, I've now had six covid jabs and wear a mask when going into busy places.

There are some downsides to the vaccinations - one cost me a tooth and $5000 to replace it - but though into time on, I'm still alive and don't believe I've had covid yet.

It hasn't gone or become less dangerous, but politicians' resolve to keep it inder control has slunk off with tail between its legs.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
My wife had a mini stroke a week or so after a booster. I'm convinced it was because of the shot. No more shots for us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife had a mini stroke a week or so after a booster. I'm convinced it was because of the shot. No more shots for us.

My 72 year old sister died 3 days after having her second shot. She was in good health, she was just cleared to have her right knee replaced. Her autopsy reveled her heart was plugged with blood clots.

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Shit, sorry to hear that mate. My condolences.

I'll never have another covid shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shit, sorry to hear that mate. My condolences.

I'll never have another covid shot.

Thank you. I've never gotten the covid vaccine or a flu shot in my life, never will.

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
growing up I had all the shots required to go to school, since then I have had the shots recommended by the medical society including flue pneumonia, covid 3,, I,ll be 89 or 90 soon? I think if you cut through the bullshit you'll find or doctors and health providers have done a pretty damn good job of saving lives...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
growing up I had all the shots required to go to school, since then I have had the shots recommended by the medical society including flue pneumonia, covid 3,, I,ll be 89 or 90 soon? I think if you cut through the bullshit you'll find or doctors and health providers have done a pretty damn good job of saving lives...

I 100% agree with Ray on this one. Our medical system is not perfect, but it works as advertised most of the time. Vaccines are not perfect, never have been never will be. So many people including people on this forum see one or two bad reactions to a vaccine or medical procedure and then automatically say all are bad. That is not how things work. With the huge number of vaccines or medical procedures there are bound to be some that cause issues or death. It is inevitable. If you give enough people a glass of milk someone is eventually going to die from it. At that point do you say all milk is bad because someone died, or do you just go on and with giving people milk?

When you are talking about anything in the millions there are bound to be some issues somewhere. this is a hunting site so let's put it in hunting terms. If you bought the best bullet money could buy for an Africa hunt and you would be theoretically able to shoot 1000 animals with it, would you expect a bullet failure in those 1000 shots? So, if 1 or 2 of those bullets failed miserably would you say that the bullet is no good and you would never use it again, or would you say that an occasional failure is to be expected and normal? Now change that number from 1000 to 1,000,000 or 100,000,000 does your answer say the same.

It all comes down to mathematical probabilities, if you do enough of anything it is certain something will go wrong at some point.

Posts: 498 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Nobody but nobody questions what is in the drugs used to combat cancer. You get cancer, as I have had, you don't give a shit that most of the drugs involved in chemotherapy are some of the nastiest to the human body, you take everything offered that will save or prolong your life. Likewise radio therapy with prolonged high strength X-rays beamed into your body enough to cook the cancer and sometimes other organs in close proximity. I had to have a scan after being injected with a radioactive substance to see if I had two functioning kidneys as there was a possibility one would be destroyed when I had 30 days of radiotherapy after 6 months of chemotherapy to finally destroy the 6"x2" lymphoma tumor that had pushed one kidney up into my diaphragm.
Did I question or think of refusing any of this treatment, like f..k I did, I couldn't embrace it all quick enough without question. Twenty one years later I'm still here in perfect health.

Yes just like chemotherapy and other treatment regimes including vaccinations, they don't always work for all people but thankfully they do work for most.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:
quote:

My 72 year old sister died 3 days after having her second shot. She was in good health, she was just cleared to have her right knee replaced. Her autopsy reveled her heart was plugged with blood clots.

Sorry to hear that, ronco, and Bakes.

I can't recall if blood clots were thought to be one of the possible side-effects of the shots I had. I only blame the Pfizer one because I felt nauseous and then fainted the night after I had it, hitting my tooth on a magazine rack. Next day the clinic sent me a survey listing nausea and fainting among possible problems. The other five shots have caused me no issues.

All in all, I agree with Ray and Eagle - medicine is, or should be, now derived from scientific experiments and exhaustive testing. As with thalidomide, it can fail occasionally but, year in and year out, is better than opinion and anecdotal evidence.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had it twice, in spite of the two shots I took so I could claim I was vaccinated and maintain social mobility. Mild flu like, only the test confirmed Covid. People may say what they like, the honest truth is we did massive damage to our society by knee jerk over reacting and we're still paying the price.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, the million or so Americans who died of covid before there was a vaccine might argue that if you hadn't had two jabs you might not have experienced just a mild flu!
We are all so fortunate that it mutated into a much milder form rather than a deadlier variety. I hope the experience will prepare us for the next pandemic out of China but I doubt it.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

I had it twice, in spite of the two shots I took so I could claim I was vaccinated and maintain social mobility. Mild flu like, only the test confirmed Covid. People may say what they like, the honest truth is we did massive damage to our society by knee jerk over reacting and we're still paying the price.

Grizz

You are only able to say that from a position of hindsight. Had Covid mutated to a more deadlier variety as the Pom mentions, then even the knee jerk may not have been enough reaction.
Hindsight can be useful to allow analysis of past events and better preparation for future events but it is meaningless for saying "I told you so".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure it is Trump’s fault…

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am sure it is Trump’s fault…

No more mean tweets but lots of War

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grizz, the million or so Americans who died of covid before there was a vaccine might argue that if you hadn't had two jabs you might not have experienced just a mild flu!
We are all so fortunate that it mutated into a much milder form rather than a deadlier variety. I hope the experience will prepare us for the next pandemic out of China but I doubt it.

A million or two Americans didn't die of Covid. Every death where a person tested positive for Covid was labeled a Covid death. We're talking about car and motorcycle accidents, 90+ year olds who died from any other causes, if they tested positive for Covid it was listed as a Covid death.

I agree that we live in time of the greatest medical system in world history. At least we did, until they started letting politics drive medical decisions.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That would be true, but not of most of that two-million, Fjold. And if a camel gets to 90, it doesn't take a very long straw to break its back.

While we all have to die of something, I hear covid is one of the more-unpleasant ways to do it. And though the American hospital system is technically superb, I'm afraid its affordability is an international joke and has been as long as I can remember.

Though the rich would have been able to afford that care, it will be ironic if the Republican vote is subdued next election because many covid victims were anti-vax libertarians.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had two covid shots and had covid twice, once before the jabs and once after.
I reluctantly had the shots due to needing to travel.
I don't know about the science but I've had two acquaintances die from blood clots co-incidentally shortly after having the vaccine.
Too many stories like that.
The real story of covid has not been the disease but the unfettered power that it gave idiot politicians to impose the stupidest rules (google the South African ones!!!) to be enforced in the most authoritarian way (look at all the videos of the Aussie cops). Covid was a gift to all those power hungry parasites!

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
That would be true, but not of most of that two-million, Fjold. And if a camel gets to 90, it doesn't take a very long straw to break its back.

While we all have to die of something, I hear covid is one of the more-unpleasant ways to do it. And though the American hospital system is technically superb, I'm afraid its affordability is an international joke and has been as long as I can remember.

Though the rich would have been able to afford that care, it will be ironic if the Republican vote is subdued next election because many covid victims were anti-vax libertarians.

The US Center for Disease Control published the statistics for all deaths in the US and it shows nowhere near 2M additional US deaths.

The data says that there were about 1,400,000 more deaths in the 3 years of Covid tracking in the entire US.

Also notice that Flu related deaths were down about 25,000 for just one flu season in 21-22 from the 10 year average.

Over 3 years the flu deaths would imply that their should have been almost 75,000 more deaths attributed to the flu which if reported correctly would be more than half of the reported Covid deaths in the US, lowering the total Covid (again tested positive when they dies no matter the real cause) death estimates to about 1,300,000 for the last three years in the entire USA.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good lord, the guy is upset because he got Covid, and everyone wants to make it a political debate?

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Can we have a Pie Graph please Frank as I feel that would be more inclusive

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

The way that you eat pies, I don't think so.

Frank

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

The way that you eat pies, I don't think so.

Now I’m being fat shamed by an American the irony sofa I’ll need your Health care system soon Wink

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
A pie chart for James would be a pic of the menu on the wall at the Fairlie Bakehouse

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry Fjold, I was just discussing the matter in relation to numbers you mentioned, not from having done my own research.

Doubtless the pandemic changed many aspects of life, some positively. A scientist on the radio this morning said that if we are to have any hope of reducing greenhouse gases before they wreck the world as we know it, we will need something as disruptive as covid almost every year.