Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Calibre Projectiles on Pigs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All

I mainly hunt foxes & goats with a heavy barreled Ruger using either 50grn. or 55grn. Hollow points.

I occasionally come across wild pigs on my trips and am loath to shoot them using the projectiles that I usually use.(Don't like chasing wounded game)

Does anybody hunt pigs with a 22.250 and what projectiles have you used that have been effective?

Thanks

Aussie Frank

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I used to shoot pigs with Speer 70gn RN from my 22/250 with good effect. One day I needed 5 to put down a really big boar so I bought a 270Win.
Since I hunt on foot, I don't want to be undergunned on any game that turn nasty.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Lots of pigs are killed with .22/250s, .222s and .22 Magnums.

Use a heavy (55 gr and 60 grs or more) and heavier constructed bullet if possible.

Personally I prefer something heavier as I don't like wounded game escaping or having to track them to despatch them.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 60gn partitions out of a 22/6mm imp ,which went OK. Killed pigs with head shots. The ones which stayed inside I didnt dig out so I dont know if they come apart. If I couldnt get a head shot I didnt shoot. I have also used barnes X bullets from my 222. Once again head shots only.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what brand of bullet you're using but the Remington factory 55 gr spitzer(NOT hollow point) works well here in Florida on hogs up to 600# out of a .22-250. Try lung shots on hogs below 200#, behind the ear for the bigger ones. I don't find hollow points reliable at high velocity in this scenario, big or small targets. The comment about the Nosler Partition is spot-on BTW. If you have access to them, use them as you would any BG bullet.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Barnes x .22 caliber bullet could work better...or even a 45/70 better again

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I'm with BAW on this one. Over the years I have shot a number of pigs with .224 centrefires, as opportunities presented themselves, and while it can be done it is not a satisfactory calibre for pigs with any projectile.

Maybe you should upgrade to something more effective for both goats and pigs perhaps a .243? (Personally, I would go bigger and use a 7x57 for similar hunting.) I assume that you are not shooting the foxes for the skins as a .22/250 will do too much damage to them anyway.

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All

Thanks for all the help and comments.

I generally go after pigs with a 6.5 x 55 Swedish. But on occasions I do not have it handy and it's a bit hard trying to carry two rifles when walking the bush. If I am driving its not a problem. I know where I can get both of the suggested projectiles( Remington & Nosler) I will give them a try.

Thanks Again

Frank

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote