Find
Notify
Tools

Best all around caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings
With all the talk about what is the best caliber and guns for Africa and Alaska, I wanted to know what you guys consider the best caliber and guns for Australia and New Zealand. Also, Is the British 303 in much use anymore?

30-30 Man

one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
3030Man:
You will get a stack of different opinions on this one! Anything from the .223 to the .300 has a legitimate place in the Aussie/Kiwi hunting battery, on up to the .458 for northern Australia. There is no such thing as an all-rounder, but if one was to be so boring, the .308 would be the obvious contender here.

Regarding the .303, it is a fine hunting arm for general Australian game (pigs, goats, deer), maybe marginal for sambar and scrub bulls, and definitely marginal for buff unless in the hands of an experienced big-game hunter. Its continued popularity is ensured by a number of factors: low purchase price, 10-shot magazine, cheap reloading components, and adequate ballistics. Nostalgia is an important factor for many Aussies too.

Also, a good number of fine Brit sporters were put together for Africa and India, many of these are great collector firearms and an absolute joy to own and shoot.

Here's a pic of my mate with his knock-about shooter and a typical victim!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Hey Marrakai your back! Where have you been.

As Marrakai said there is no such beast as a all rounder. In my opinion the best calibre for most common game (pigs,goats,donkeys and such) would be the 6.5x55. If you have access to buff,bulls then you'd have to think about a calibre in the 9.3x62/375 H&H and up range.

Posts: 7979 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Marrakai and Mr. Bakes. I would love to have one of the Brit sporters you have in the picture you posted. I see them at guns shows here in Oregon and most are under 250.00 $ with a scope. Some look to be in fine shape while others look like they are ready for retirement. I would think they would do just fine on our Elk and Deer and Black Bear here in the Oregon forests.

Thanks again
30-30 Man

<gary_hall>
posted
Having shot a number of different game animals in Australia I wouldn't part with my .308 Browning Lever Action and believe the .308 is as close to the allround calibre as you can get.

Having said that, as most of my hunting is on hogs up close in thick scrub I tend to use my 45/70 Marlin Lever Action more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was allowed only one rifle it would be a 30/06. Take Buff/Bulls and Sambar out of the equation and a 257 Roberts would be my choice. Best two gun battery for Australia? A 243W and 375H&H.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to say that the .375 H&H is the best all-rounder in existence and very well suited to Aussie Game, I reckon Aussies tend to be a little undergunned and seem to think stuff like a .375 H&H to be a cannon. In reality it is like a giant 30/06 and really it has recoil elvels anyone can master. You could use Taipan 250 grainers for ferals and for bigger stuff load some woodleigh 300 gr RN's

The speer 235 gr loading also shoots very flat.

Gary Hall I like you stories mate and I envy your lifestyle !!

Con is pretty well on the ball with his choices.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Gary Hall I like you stories mate and I envy your lifestyle !!

What life style! The bloke lives in a tin humpy surrounded by rock and spear grass, he walks around muttering to his dogs all day and his idea of a hot meal is a packet of maggie noodles and tuna. Still for a 60 year old he's pretty fit looking.

Posts: 7979 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<gary_hall>
posted
Bakes.

Thanks for your support.

The reason I look pretty fit is all the noodles and tuna I eat.

I carn't do much about the rocks, but I'll burn the spear grass off in a couple of months.

And I was muttering to the dogs, that even living in a humpy
I still carn't stop the unwanted visitors. (You had just left)

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I shoot 303 a lot and have 17 in various forms from Martini S/S, P14's and SMLE No 3's & No 4's.
Firstly my P14 is a Winchester sporter in military trim but with sporting stock. Loaded for use only in this front locking action it can push 180gn to the same velocity as 30/06.
The No 3/Mk1 I have is a 1915 action with new heavy target barrel and I have recorded a 10 shot group shot with range sights under 1MOA using Tiapan 170gn HPBT's.
My No4 has a five groove English barrel with PH range sights and is fed a 190gn .314 cast bullet. This load goes 1900fps with exceptional accuracy; 10 shots averaging 1.5MOA
As to the question of all round hunting, I believe if you have a bloody big tusker coming for you and you are armed with a 22RF or a 303, it makes itself a "all round rifle" if it saves you from getting hurt.
I think a lot of people have branded good calibres failures as all rounders in such cirmstances because they did get hurt.(i.e I'll bring something bigger next time!)More likely their own stupidity got them into trouble.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prob drank your beer to Gary.

My vote goes to the .303 for Australia.Cheap as chips to buy used guns.Good selection of projectiles from 150gns to Taipan's 215 grainers.
Followed by another favorite the 6.5mm Swed,great sectional density.A 160gn is 32mm long.
Taipans .311 range,150 170 215

one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
FC:
Those 215-grainers you posted shoot really well in my Army & Navy sporters, a Lee Speed (pictured) and a Martini Enfield. Both have the fast-twist barrel for the heavier Mk VI bullet. The versatility of this rifle is enhanced by the 215-gr Woodleigh, which is a better hunting bullet for big crusty boars. This is the perfect combination IMHO: the cheaper Taipans for paper and light stuff, and a good bonded-core bullet for serious hunting. Marvellous!

Bakes: You will find the same thing for your .416 Rigby. Taipan 400-grain RNs for well under a buck each are great for practice and bombing pigs, and the Woodleighs at a bit over a buck each for the bigger stuff. Bet you can't wait!

BTW, had to spend some time in Brizzy setting up youngest daughter at uni, then skipped over to NZ for a short holiday with the missus. Didn't have time to hunt, but there's always time to murder a few good trout!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
.30-06 gets my vote as the best all-rounder.

I don't actually know a single person who uses a .303 as a serious hunting rifle anymore. Though I would love to own one in an original sporting rifle.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding like a blooming idiot from Oregon, What the hell is a Sambar and Scrub Bull.? Are they good table fair ?

Bad Ass Wallace, I like your posts. Would you please let me know the history of the helmet you are wearing ?

30-30 Man

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bad Ass picked it up at Passchendaele at the Battle of the Menin Road.
He now wears is gardening to keep the sun off.He's also got a Jap sword he uses to trim his fruit trees.

Told you he was older than dirt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Da Sambar is like un giant prarie wolfstein, da Scrub Bull ist like der grossen pile auf bullshite dat moves thru da scrub!

Da helmut ist ein early Deuchland panzer drivers' widout da armour plate visor.

Da neck meddle ist ein original 'Blue Max'

Da chest meddle ist ein 'Iron Cross ist Class'(repro)

Da moustache is mein, home grown mitout fertiliser, Ja!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Nice trout mate . I'll have to pick your brains about NZ. We may be going there in 06.

<gary_hall>
posted
My votes still for the .308 and the only person I knew that hunted a lot years ago with his 303 has now gone to the .308.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Da moustache is mein, home grown mitout fertiliser, Ja!

Bull shit. It gets fertilized continually.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ain't no rubbing my nose under a bulls arse!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar Deer.Big heavy bastards.

Scrub Bulls are wild cattle.Scrub is Aussie for brush/bush.HTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wie gets Herr Bad Ass,

Ich heis found das soarse ouf das Panzer Stahlhelmut ya?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Far Canel
you r da Man ! Thanks for the pictures. The Sambar Deer look like our Mule Deer but with Elk horns. I sure wish I could afford to get Down Under and get one of them. That Scrub bull looks like a Damm wild Cow. I have seen wild Bulls here in Oregon on Ranches where they are left out on open range. My only question is, are they good table fair ?
Thanks again

30-30 Man