New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad news from NZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont know why you guys are finding it so hard to get to page 3. Its easy. Look.

Posts: 4242 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won’t comment on New Zealand.

But we have a right wing government here in the UK.

Gun controls getting ever tighter

A forthcoming ban on the import and export of all hunting trophies or parts of hunted animals or birds.

Licensing of shoots and licencing of release of any game birds

And a massive cull of deer, with contractors being paid by government agencies to shoot as many deer as they can. Deer in scotland in many areas have been or are being wiped out.

Left don’t have the monopoly on being bad for hunting.

I think modern democracy is now heavily skewed by ever growing urban centric populations. 30 years ago when I was a student on local mixed arable farm of 1200 acres there 4 full time staff, 2 summer students and the farm owner himself. Now that same farm is run by his son and 2 full time staff, and they have added an additional 1,000 acres. There were three farming business based in the village and a good number worked in and around the village.

Village has grown in size. Only 3 families living in the village work on farms - most others commute to Oxford (10 miles) or london and work in office or high tech tech jobs.

Myself - first degree in Agriculture, bushman at heart, but work in technology companies. Most of my colleagues have little understanding of hunting or whats involved - but they love the venison!

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep can understand your troubles Heym.
We had a river care meeting in my district. At it a map from the regional council ( Defacto environment agency) was produced. It showed 80% of our district planted in trees in the next 25 years. Thats the destruction of our community.
Deer Etc are being targeted in much more direct ways now and regional plans are making it harder for them even on private land.

I actually think we should somehow convince 100,000 UK residents who are hunters to immigrate here. 100,000 is a decent voting block and its not too late to save our sport down here.

Posts: 4242 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Heym Boris girlfriend is an anti and his mate Goldsmith wants farm carbon credits in Scotland, we can’t have deer ruining that plan.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's no different anywhere you go....we here in the US are fighting the idea that the entire country has to think and act like NYC and LA. In Canada they want the farm provinces to do the same as Toronto and Vancouver. I live an hour outside Boston but want nothing to do with urban thinking. We MUST stop this. I wish you luck in your fight.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 248 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest trouble is its so easy these days to confirm your bias, or jump on a band wagon without knowing all the facts. This is a bit off topic but by way of example I think it compares to what we face as hunters and shooters.
I had a well meaning townie here the other day, and all he could talk about was how great regenerative agriculture is, and what I thought if it. This is a person who's company will shape ag in NZ and who has some great ideas. But when I asked him to quantify what regen Ag was and what it would mean for us as a bottom line, he couldn't. And thats the truth over the whole country. No one yet can state what REGEN is or how it will work for us farmers, and we have not had time ourselves to work out a system similar to it that will work for us, yet we are being pushed into it by politicians and public opinion when those people have no idea other than it sounds like a good idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a zoom call with colleagues today. They were appalled at the waste of very good deer meat. They all said where can we get hold of it????

When I explained that little care is being taken over carcasses, contractors are paid regardless of whether shot properly or shot in the guts, and no control on whether deer shot in Forestry Commision land (ie where the cull should be happening), that deer being shot on all other areas, and that fences are open so deer from neighbouring land can walk right in to be shot - thus increasing contractors take. Sums of money are huge. Several hundred to low millions going to individual contractors etc etc. Its a racket being funded by the tax payer.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote