New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding epoxy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you blokes use to bed your actions with and where do you get it? I dont know if any of the gear the US fellas talk about is available in Aus.

Thanks

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of steve65
posted Hide Post
car bog local auto shop Roll Eyes

Posts: 125 | Location: malmsbury,vic,australia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bog? No way. Doesn't hold together. Brownell's Acraglas is available [though expensive] in some gunshops; go for the Acraglas Gel if you can find it. Or you can now get it direct I believe, from Brownells, as they have a version that's OK to send by air or other mail.

The best alternative is one of the metal-filled Devcon 2-part epoxys. Available through industrial tool/bearing suppliers.

None of these are cheap, but you want something that doesn't set up hard immediately. E.g. Acraglas first hardens to a 'toffee' consistency, where it's easy to scrape off excess. Doesn't go fully hard for about a week.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Dave Stendall at Kopje Custom Rifles carries Pro-Bed 2000. Listed on his Products page. Good stuff and pretty affordable.

http://www.kopjerifles.com/

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HiWall:
Dave Stendall at Kopje Custom Rifles carries Pro-Bed 2000. Listed on his Products page. Good stuff and pretty affordable.

http://www.kopjerifles.com/

HiWall

Contacted Dave and he was really helpful. Have since bedded the action and the Pro-Bed was excellent. It's a good consistency and doesnt run everywhere. Heaps cheaper than Devcon too.

Thanks for the tip.

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
2 part epoxy from your local surf shop; be sure to use plenty of release agent

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote