THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Any Australians or new Zealands, Using the .204?

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Australians or new Zealands, Using the .204?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was just wondering how popular is this caliber over in Australia? Is it cacthing on over their, for foxes? Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mik,

I don,t have one myself but the local gunstore in my area stocks the 204 in both Ruger and Czs and I know he is selling quite a few.

I am sure someone with a 204 will pop up shortly.

Its got to be good on foxes, varmints etc.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
its a bit of a new and gretaest cartdridge that hasnt seen much action in oz as yet, I will stick with my .223 !!!!

Beefa

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're around. I know of one bloke with one, but I haven't seen one at the range yet.

The largest gunshop in my home city doesn't stock any of the rifles, ammo, or components. I asked about it, and they said they'd had virtually no interest expressed in it.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that Aussies aren't as easily sucked in by advertising hype...

Response I get when asking questions is 'what exactly does it do, that other cartridges don't?... strangely enough, these comments mirror my own feelings... Big Grin

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to know more about this caliber, have a look at this site, completely dedicated to the .204 ruger.
www.204ruger.com
I have had one fore 6 months now and find it deadly Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mik,

thanks for the link, but I'm stuffed if I can work out what a 204 will do that a 17 won't do better on foxes (less pelt damage, not that it matters with skin prices these days), or a 223 will do better on bigger game...

204 sounds to me like a great idea looking for an application...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You talk of bigger game with the .223, well
I shoot feral goats from time to time and they dont get back up after the shot Wink.
Using the winchester 34 grain hallow points for better penatretion, works wonders.
It has good knock down power. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rugeruser:

thanks for the link, but I'm stuffed if I can work out what a 204 will do that a 17 won't do better on foxes (less pelt damage, not that it matters with skin prices these days), or a 223 will do better on bigger game...

Except sell another few hundred or more rifles.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you use a .204, you wont know and cant really say Razzer
The .223 will allways be around, the .204 can do everything a .223 can do, but at a longer range with greater knock down power, from what i have experinced with .204 thumb
I havent used a .223, but a freind in scotland, use to have one for roe deer. A lot of the deer ran off a long way before droping dead, when shot in the chest. This ment some of them could not be found thumbdown
He now uses a 6.5x55 for all deer, they dont get back up Cool
For foxes up to 300yds plus, they are ideal.
Feral goats up to 250yds, stone dead Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
feral goats up to 250yds, stone dead

Using a 34 gr bullet ?????? Roll Eyes

I shot a fair few hundred goats with a .222 and it killed well enough but never consistently "stone dead". All the .204 is doing is putting out a lighter, probably more fragile bullet out at higher velocity.

Now when I switched to a .30-06 or 6.5mm they certainly killed feral goats "stone dead". thumb

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, thats my experience so far Cool
Aim for the heart at long range, the brain at close and stone dead is your result Wink
The .204 is a hard hitting fact thumb
Like it or not Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you check ANY balistic information...you will find that a .223 has more hitting power at longer ranges than the 204. I heavy bullet going slower...slows down at a slower rate and retains more energy when it gets there. Thats why a .223 has more energy at 500 meters with a 50gr projectile compared with a 35gr projectile with a lot more starting velosity. A 204 may shoot flatter just like the .17m2...but a standard .22 has twice the hitting power at 150 meters than a .17m2.
Conclusion...there is nothing the 204 can do that a .223,22-250, .243, or a .220 swift cant do better. There is nothing a .17m2 can do that a .22 cant do. I shoot small game out to 150 meters with a .22lr and if I need to go further I get the .223.
If you look at all the new fandangled calibres that have come out in the last few years..you will find an old one that will do it as well or better. EG .300RUM came out 2002?....300 Weatherby mag has been around for years...etc etc.

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
None of these new calibers are designed to kill anything more dead than an old caliber - they are , however , all designed to sell more rifles. End of story , nothing more , nothing less.Sales , not better guns or faster bullets .

I have a Hornet , a 223 , a 220 Swift and a bunch of bigger calibers , dont see myself with anything smaller ever... Wink

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C,mon guys why don't we just ban anything that shoots that new fangled smokeless powder eh ? Roll Eyes
There's a place for a cartridge with Swift trajectory and .223 barrel life / recoil / muzzle blast as is amply demonstrated by the number of .204's being sold and the rave reviews that it gets from practically everyone that has tried it . I'd love to have one to fill the gap between my .22LR and heavy barreled .243 Ackley .
BTW as far as retained energy goes if you use an external ballistics program to compare a 50gn Nosler BT (B.C. .238) out of a .223 at 3470 FPS with a 40 gn V Max (B.C. .255) out of a .204 at 4000 FPS you will find that at 500 metres the .204 has 28% more energy than the .223 (380 foot/pounds vs 296) . I'm not going to argue with anyone who wants to start comparing retained energy of 80gn VLD's out of the .223 with the .204 as we all know the .223 will win hands down (albeit with a rainbow-like trajectory).

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bushchook for suporting the .204 thumb.
I was not running any of the other calibers down,
Eg, .223, .22-250, ect. Roll Eyes
I was just telling everyone my own experience of this wonderfull caliber.
I live in Ireland where .223s are very hard to licence, due to our crazy mixes up firearms laws jump
So the next best thing my firearms dealer recomended was the .204.
I was a bit coutious at first as it was a new caliber, but now that I have had the .204 for 6 months, I love it and am not botherd about a .223 ect.
It works for me, anything iv squeezed the triger on has DROPED STONE DEAD Wink
You have to try something before you condem it to the trash Razzer
Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I wasnt condemning any caliber , just stating the situation as it applies to my situation .

I have used a .17 rimfire a couple of times , and would try a .204 if the opportunity arose , but dont see a need for owning one . In your situation it meets your needs and is more readily available than other calibres.

Locally , our gundealer has sold several .204's and has more on order , so people are using it here , I just dont know who they are yet...

Got any pictures of your hunting success with the new rifle ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mik:
I live in Ireland where .223s are very hard to licence, due to our crazy mixes up firearms laws

Sounds a good reason to have one.

John H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza,
I am in the prosses of waiting for cash to get a digital camera. I have some money coming my way as Im budgeting at the moment, what with family expenses ect.
As soon as I get one, I will be posting pics. Smiler