Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bertram Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
I shoot 520gn paper patched soft lead from the 45/120 with full power loads (85gn 2209) at a cost of 4 cents each. These are a very cheap boar-busting alternative to paying $1 ea!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
But nobody makes a non-premium softpoint 458 projectile for all us maniacs that like to practice and hunt with our 458WMs, 458Lotts and 460 Weatherbys etc... Taipans are great and if Malcolm would only produce a 480gr for say $35 - $40 per 50 then I'd be waiting with cash in hand for the first 500 and grab another 500 just to be sure. Maybe Bertram going into the business will prompt Malcolm to reconsider, but at $1 each I can't see Bertram making the kind of volume sales to be really successful??
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
"less diplomatic" Me!

I would give 480 gr Taipans a try to see if they would shoot in my double.

I have tried the 300 gr FPs with a load or two but so far no luck. Haven't really started with them yet though.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Hmmm so its cheaper to by this Aussie made brass by buy it from the states?

I saw the add as well but really why would you bother? we have Taipans for cheap plinking, pigs and such and woodleighs when you want to get serious. And at $1 a pop well....

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Bruce's prices are bit high! Cricky I'm still paying $AU140/20 for 577/450 brass that he sells in the USA for $AU89 including cost of export permits and freight to get there!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Way too high compared to Woodleighs if Bertrams as non-premium are a buck each.

If the price is better as the standard price plus THEN bulk discounts apply then they sound quite a good idea.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX,
You seem way less diplomatic than me, maybe you should call and state the obvious to them. When I pop through in a fortnight or so I'll mention this again to Bruce.

PC: If your reading this then perhaps it's time to re-ask Malcolm Bone to consider production of a soft non-premium 480gr (0.458) projectile? Anyone else on this forum interested in a Taipan 480 grainer?

Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Following up on an advert in Guns and Game, contacted Bruce Bertam as he's apparently started making big bore projectiles. I enquired specifically about his 480gr (.458) projectiles. Prices are "about $1 each" across the board, which I stated I personally think is a little high for a non-premium soft projectile (I buy Woodleigh for $56/50). He seems quite willing however to discount for bulk however I didnt ask what constitutes "bulk" or what kind of discount applies. Perhaps if your after another projectile option a call is worthwhile? Contact is 03-5792 2912. He's producing for the .700 Nitro, 500 Jeffery, 458's, 416's,.375's and I think .408's. I'll give his 480gr a try in a few weeks to see how it goes.
Cheers...
Con