one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted
Sighting in your expensive new rifle

1. Shiny new rifle..............$ 1,250.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope....$ 950.00

3. Bore sighting device ...........$140.00

4. Hospital Visit...............$ 4,893.00

5. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to actually shooting the damned thing?

PRICELESS................ Eeker

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Who added the photo of the guy on the strecher and the crappy commentary, it wasn't there the first time I saw that series of photo's, it would be most unusual for someone to be hurt seriously in that sort of mishap.

Al

Posts: 33 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posted 08 January 2009 15:39 Hide Post
Who added the photo of the guy on the strecher and the crappy commentary, it wasn't there the first time I saw that series of photo's, it would be most unusual for someone to be hurt seriously in that sort of mishap.

Most accidents of this kind end up with serious facial and hand injuries..Not as you suggest..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sadly, a pre-shot routine may have avoided all of this... however, I would definitely keep that barrel..

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JSL,
I don't think that even Barnes X could produce a more even split.. Smiler

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a Youtube video the other day where a guy shoots a gun & the same thing happened.

Looked real to me.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Lucky it wasn't a 45-70... the guy would have been vaporized and all dangerous game within a half a mile would have had a cardiac arrest.

rotflmo

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
This has been going around the net for a few years. If you look closely at the rifle it is a Savage (barrel nut) so cut the cost estimate in half at least and the scope is an old Leupold that is turning purple.

There was a guy who reported on Savageshooters.com that he was a witness to it and the guy who shot that came out with minor cuts and scrapes on his hands and face.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been around for at least three years that I know of. The story gets imporved upon with each retelling. The guy on the streacher is a nice touch.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of a similar thing actually happening.
Splitting Barrel

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote