New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogs Vs. Snakes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here in the U.S. hogs eat snakes like kids eat candy.It seems as if hogs are immune to venom from
rattlers,moccasins,and copperheads.

Where I lived as a child, most hogs were raised on pasture, it was very unusual to find snakes in the same field with the hogs.Since hogs are now raised in confinement the snakes are making a comeback.

I have read that most of the poisonous snakes in Australia are nuero-toxic and highly venomous.
How do hogs fare with the snakes there?
Does the venom affect the hogs if they are bitten?
Do hogs there prey on snakes?

How often are poisonous snakes encountered while hunting?

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Wildcat,

I hunted with a couple friends in Australia for sambar in the last weeks of March. Those snakes are really bad at that time of year. If I hunt there again it will be in the last of July or first of August when they are more dormant. They have 9 of the 10 most deadly snakes in the World.
I couldn't hunt for watching for snakes.

Hawkeye47

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
WC
It would be the same here I suppose.
Pigs can get a parasite caled Spargana from eating snakes and frogs, or from drinking water that is infected. Its found in pig mainly in the North of Australia. A bit of triva for you.

Hawkeye
In my area we have about 7 of the top 10 and I've only seen one when I've been out hunting. I see more snakes when I drive around at night while working.

Posts: 7979 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Don't know about pigs eating snakes in Oz, but I think most venomous snakes in Australia could kill a pig easily if it stung it.

Snakes are a daily fact of life on my farm. Mostly Common Browns (top 4 poisonous) but also an occasional Red Bellied Black in the scrub.

Find spoor crossing dirt tracks between my sheds as often as 2 out 3 days. My pointer (GSP) when he smells them gets very alert and worried. Worry's me too when its in the truck sheds. They also breed in my hay shed. When the mice and rats disappear you know 'Lucifer' is in there.

Just finished bringing in the hay crop and everytime you lift a bale you imagine something coiled underneath AND you look too!

I have NO doubt there are at least a couple in the ferns, ground covers and bushes in my front garden right now, less than 25 metres away. Luckily other than in the breeding season they tend to be shy.

[ 11-27-2003, 07:44: Message edited by: NitroX ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, keep Australia. I hate snakes. Not in the hate them kill them all way. but in the hate them they freak me out keep them way. But I guess after you are around them for a while you get used to them. In the philippines we knew there were cobras around all the time, our engineer found a small one (3-4") under his bed one night. He found one on the porch one time and killed it after it got in the house. My uncle shot one with a shotgun in the neighbors cupboard. But we just paid attention and went about business. but any time I took a leak at night outside I worried about a cobra coming up for a bite.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pigs aren't immunes, they just have a thick skin, fur/hair and fat layer that can prevent the venom from entering their system.

Also, I doubt a pig would take on a big snake, mostly little stuff that would be no problem to chew up. I can see a pig summonbing from a fang going into it's gums while it chews the snake up.

Trivia: Snakes are not POISONOUS
They're VENOMOUS.
Venom is toxic, not poisonous. You can drink snake venom, it won't harm you unless it enters your bloodstream via cuts or ulcers somewhere along the way down.

If you drink poison it will enter your bloodstream through the lining of you stomach, intestine or even skin.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The following definitions are from The Random House College Edition Dictionary.
toxic=acting aor having the effect of a poison;poisonous

toxin-any of a group of poisonous,usually unstable compounds generated by microorganisms,plants,or animals

venom-the poisonous fluid that some animals,as certain snakes or spiders,secrete and introduce into the bodies of their victims by biting,stinging,etc.

venomous-1.[of an animal]capable of inflicting a poisoned bite,sting ,or wound

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a general rule the scientific community refers to venomous animals as just that, venomous. It is not, however, incorrect to refer to venomous snakes as poisonous.

As poisonous refers to toxic properties the venomous snake certainly qualifies. The term venomous refers to a means of delivery for said poison/toxin.

Therefore, a rattlesnake is venomous as well as poisonous. As an aside, many snake venoms can easily be absorbed through tear ducts, inflammed cuticles, etc. Additionally, dried venom compounds can be inhaled as a particulate or an aerosolised form. Caution is the rule.

It should be remembered that the father of toxicology once said, (and I paraphrase), "All things are toxic if taken in sufficient quantity."

That would, of course, include religion and politics [Wink]

Regards to all.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the statements about pigs being resistant because of the fat and tissue structures is correct. My father was a veterinarian for 51 years practicing in "Snake Central" Fla and never saw one killed by a pit viper. I've been at it 36 years and never heard of one killed. But I don't treat as many pigs as most. My father told me he had seen pigs eat large rattlesnakes with impunity.
There is not a very good blood suppply in fat and the venom would be poorly absorbed. Pineywoods Rooters learn very quickly and are very fast. The snake would only get one strike.
My father once brought an Eastern Diamondback home that he killed on a farm call in 1946. It was twice the length of the bumper of a 1940 Dodge plus 8". I had a picture of it for years but lost it in a move. It was bigger than the supposed record. A friend saw one in the same general area that was over 16 feet long. It was longer than the road was wide and the road was 16 feet.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote