THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Re: Importing Brass from the US - no longer easy!!

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Importing Brass from the US - no longer easy!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
MLG just spoke to Shooters Wholesale and they say it's no longer listed on their system.

On a positive note the guy said their product web pages will start to reappear this afternoon - only been gone since before xmas.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to import some brass for my 416 Rem Mag from Grafs this week only to be told that they no longer allowed to export brass freely

I then emailed them back on how it could be done and they said that they have to have an Aussie import permit from me. Then they apply for a US export permit and the process can take up to 6 weeks. They charge a 50USD handling fee for that service as well.

The net is slowly closing......

Has anyone on the forum imported brass recently and experienced this?

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I imported brass last year and yes this is the case. I bought some brass from Starline and there minimum for an order is $200 USD from memory and they needed an original import permit to do an export, I also needed an import permit for customs to clear the brass. So you need to get 2 copies, here in Vic it took less than a week from when I sent my fax to get the originals in the mail.

Crazy thing is in Australia you need an import permit to bring brass in but then you could go out and sell the brass to kids in the street and not be breaking any Victorian laws.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I'll be moving to Melbourne later this year. I'd like to see what brass is readily available in Australia. Is there any Australian company with a catalog on the web?

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
My brass still arrives from the states no problem at all, must be you Aussies that have the problem!!!!
Mind you I have it sent to my inlaws first then onto here.
I think the rule is not to have more than $150 US sent at any one time.
Maybe one of the Yanks can clarify!!!!

Milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Queensland Gun Exchange - have just upgraded their website.

I believe Rebel Gunworks have the best selection of in stock brass available. 07-33916744

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
milosmate,

I'm carting about 30 loaded rounds and 50 unprimed cases in 7mm SAUM to NZ next week, along with a M700 Titanium with a brandy new 4-12X Leupold on it. Might just leave it there so whenever I return, I'll have a rifle to use and brass to reload.

Get on the plane tomorrow night. Hear you're getting a bit of snow? -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GUYS
the loop hole was recentley closed...that is you did not need a U.S export permit if the goods were below $100 U.S
however a shipment was recentley checked by U.S CUSTOMS which was destined for a overseas destination which did not have a export permit but the goods were valued below the $100 mark it went to arbitration and the ruling went against the exporter ....so now nothing can be exported from the U.S UNLESS THE EXPORTER HAS AN EXPORT PERMIT FROM THE STATE DEPARTMENT
i know one of the aussie posters is getting a dealers permit and will be the graf&sons agent here in australia
daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
Gidday Outdoorwriter,
Yes there is a bit of snow on the Alps now, weather is meant to be shit this weekend also!
You can buy plenty of brass here its just costs alot more.
I have enough to last me plenty of years.
Have a good flight and I hope the weather is kind to you.

Milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, hope the weather breaks a bit so we can enjoy some nice 70 deg. F days. Yeah, right.

Tim said we might have to reverse the order of the hunt and do the stag first, then chase tahr when the weather lets up a bit -- if it does. Any idea what the forecast is for next week? -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a good safe trip Tony,you lucky dog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try hard, Shaun. I'll also think about of you guys while I'm freezing my tail off on top of the world, so to speak. -TONY

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
28 May 2004
Sunday:
Rain or showers in western areas and the far north and a few showers spreading further east for a time.
Monday Tuesday:

Showers in the west and the far north but mainly fine in the east and about Wellington. Blustery westerly winds.

Depends which side of the divide you are hunting

Milosmate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez, have no idea what the hech side of the mountains we'll be on. Probably not too far from Methvin, though.

That blustery winds crp ain't too hot for long-range shooting. -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone - I have tried all the usual including rebel, Frank O Reillys, Horsley - none of them have had it as Raytrade (Remington agent) have never imported it here. They do import the Factory ammo though (8 bucks a pop!)

Spoke to someone at Raytrade and he told me that 416Rem Mag is not listed on Remington's inventory ie, they are not making the brass anymore. I told him that its freely avilable in the US and infact Midway sells it by the boxes of 500 but he insists that Remington do not make it.

I have emailed Remington to ask them if they have discontinued the brass but as yet have no reply. Do,nt know what's going on.

It will be good if Grafs get an agent here, provided of course the prices are reasonable.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

28 May 2004
Sunday:
Rain or showers in western areas and the far north and a few showers spreading further east for a time.
Monday Tuesday:

Showers in the west and the far north but mainly fine in the east and about Wellington. Blustery westerly winds.

Depends which side of the divide you are hunting

Milosmate

Tony

That is pretty normal for South Island. Wet in the West and dryer in the East. The "low" fronts rise up the mountains and drop their moisture leaving somewhat a rain-shadow on the Eastern side of the mountains. Methven is East of the ranges as are most towns in South Island.

Good luck on your trip. Hope you take a nice stag and a great tahr.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Have a good trip Tony . At this time of the year you take your chances with the weather , although it looks like it will clear pretty much by mid week . It will still be cold tho.
Hope you get some nice trophies.

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Ouch! You folks do pay a premium down there. I'll miss Graf's and Midway and Huntington's and Buffalo Arms and ...

Hopefully having an agent in Australia will allow Graf's easier access. Hopefully...

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG:

Send me an email off line, I may be able to help you out some.

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hopefully having an agent in Australia will allow
Graf's easier access. Hopefully...

But what sort of markup?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416sw

Many thanks for asking - I did contact them early on.

Seafire/B17G

I have emailed you

one of us
posted Hide Post
hi guys im in the process of getting my dealers liscence as we speak. i work in the mines in the territory and im at home for 8 days then work for 12 and so on and so on. as soon as i get my paperwork done i will let you know as the yanks are setting up there paperwork as well so it will be to easy. as far as prices go i only want to cover my costs and also my own shooting costs. most of the prices i can tell you will be about half of what we are paying in australia eg 243 brass $28/100 338 brass $45/100 and180gr partition golds $38/50 leupold scopes vx111 3.5-10*40 about $500 it will all depend on the dollar. i will have my dealer catalogue in a couple of weeks so i will let you know

Posts: 27 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sav

You have a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the export permit was something the US Govt.had temporarily overlooked for ammo components - while there's a definite exemption for small [<$100 w/sale] shipments of minor firearm components, seems there never was a corresponding one for ammo and its components. http://pmdtc.org/docs/oas.pdf is the US State Dept export guidelines for this stuff, and the category definitions [most sporting arms Cat. I, ammo and components Cat. III] are at http://pmdtc.org/docs/ITAR/22cfr121_Part_121.pdf

Bugger! Makes it a bit hard, especially if Grafs have to charge that much to put the paperwork through. As a comparison, Brownells charge $15 basic, plus a value-based fee; starting at $5 for export licence orders under $1000.They also warn that these licences usually take 30-40 days!

Then there's the quirks of our Customs regs on top.......

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sav,

I would be interested in some of your stuff at times.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote