New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Island NZ Questions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents, if I may indulge on your humour for a moment.

A good friend is intending to take a working trip (approx 6 months) to the South island, and has asked me to find a bit of info for him.

Where does he stand with importing his rifle/s and maybe a shotgun or two. I spoke to our local Firearms dept over here and they said they'd no problems with him buggering off with his toys, but they could not give me further details as to your end of the matter.
Does he need to apply in advance of his trip for permits or can he drop by the Police station at the airport on entry and sign them in with his details. Also where does he stand with storeage when he gets them to where he's going, are your reg's like ours where you've got to provide a secure cabinet and not just shove under his cot when he's at work.

Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Here is link to New Zealand police website for visitor firearms permit.
http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/#resources

Firearms must be locked away when not in use but does not need to steel gun safe.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T_P

Many thanks mate, l took a look and found the site earlier. Have since spoken to the numpty and he's not taking any toys this trip, but l told him to take his ticket with him just in case he finds something he likes and wants a bash.
BTW, don't suppose you'd be the same chap that now posts on UK Var' by any chance?!

Regards.

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Dave yes thats me,i joined few weeks ago.

What part of the south island is your mate moving to??

P.S I'm off hunting back in a week.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T_P

What part? don't know at the moment, it's all been a bit sudden on his part to make the shift but l'll get it out of him..... Somewhere in one of the big farming districs so he says.

Not a bad bunch on that site, if you can speak Welsh or Cornish stir my post name's different from here but you'll find me.

Hope you have a good time hunting, watch out for them piggies mate.

All the best.

Dave.