New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mercury Recoil Reducers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Doe any one sell these in Australia ? Brownells told me they have to go by sea freight because of the mercury and it costs $500 ,or is it easy just to buy the mercury and make your own ?

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The gunshop at Sefton, Sydney sells the Break-O models for $120 each.

Kind of surprised you can't send them air mail, might pay to ask around and see whether the sea freight issue is true or not.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
I believe mercury and aircraft aluminium don't mix , airline regulations.

What are the dimensions of the break-o? if any one knows, I might put one in my .470

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjm:
I believe mercury and aircraft aluminium don't mix , airline regulations.

What are the dimensions of the break-o? if any one knows, I might put one in my .470

Correct. Mercury is DC. It generates unfortunate effects when mixed with Aluminium. Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sjm,
Try Bob deVries at Kudu Services in Montrose. Mate's building a 577NE on a Ruger No1 and I think Bob can also supply mercury recoil reducers.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
Con,
A .577NE on a Ruger No1 makes my .450/400 No1 look very small!

sjm

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Bob DeVries has them over in montrose. I'll need some for the .577, so be a pal and dont take 'em all!
Steve

Posts: 65 | Location: yarra valley Australia | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
The way I understand it, mercury recoil reducers do not work when the recoil exceeds a certain level. I have a Merkel .500 NE and when I made inquiries about replacing the solid weight in the stock with a mercury recoil reducer the answer I got back, via the Merkel accredited gunsmith from Merkel, is that it would be a waste of money as the mercury can't move fast enough to counter the recoil of the .500. Yes, Merkel do fit mercury recoil reducers to their .500s if you insist (because the customer is always right) but their advice is not to bother and simply go with a solid mass of steel to balance the weight of the rifle with the recoil it produces.

I just thought this information may be of interest to anyone thinking of fitting a mercury reducer before you spend all of that money!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well how about that, I've never heard about recoil reducers not working above a certain limit. Do you know what the limit is? Might be handy to know.
Steve

Posts: 65 | Location: yarra valley Australia | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BwanaBob,
An interesting observation from Merkel. What I'd suggest their actually saying is that the effectiveness on a true 'nasty' kicker is reduced. The mercury reducer works by spreading the recoil out over time as the mercury 'sloshes' from the back to the front of the tube. It can only act over the time taken to move the mercury from rear to front ... given the short length of commercial tubes ... the time taken is relatively short. On a big kicker we can thus add 2 tubes (in stock) or upto 3 (1 in forend) ... but all 3 still only allow the mercury to move a relative short distance. If you could custom build a mercury recoil reducer and have it the length of the entire buttstock ... effectiveness would certainly be improved relative to the short tubed commercial models. Naturally ... the recoil tubes would need to be placed parallel to the stock bottom and not parrallel to the bore line as the mercury must be at the rear of the tube to be effective.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie steve:
Well how about that, I've never heard about recoil reducers not working above a certain limit. Do you know what the limit is? Might be handy to know.
Steve

Steve,
PC's 585Nyati I believe is 14lb, muzzle breaked and incorporates 3 recoil reducers. The sucker still lets you know it's gone off. I don't think its about 'limits' but rather 'compromises'. Your 577NE could be made to recoil like a 22RF ... but you'd be unable to carry it. It could be made to carry all day but then you'd not like to shoot it. A reasonable compromise in your 577NE might be 12-13lb weight plus 2 recoil reducers and loads backed down a bit. Add a muzzle break for range work that can be removed whilst hunting.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your right mate, I'll get the .577 upto at least 13 pounds by the look of it, and I'll only be shooting 650's rather than 750's.

Cheers
Steve

P.S Took the .416 down to little river the other day for the big game rifle club shoot and had a ball, even though it wasnt sighted in right!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever it is worth, I had them installed on my 500NE>

It did not work.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Lock stock and barrel. I've obtained them before and they have shipped with no problems, in fact I got one for earlier this year
robz

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Raytrade bring in the Fabarm recoil reducers which you should be able to get from your local gunshop.

Al

Posts: 33 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote