THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Must be discussed- Victoria Bitter vs the rest

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must be discussed- Victoria Bitter vs the rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted
I will keep mentioning my favourite drop of beer from here til when I get thrown off this forum. so I just thought I would say my bit now and get it over with.

Very nearly ANY beer is a good beer. When I was in Tasmania, Boags was great. When in Qld-----

you get the picture about Australian beers and me.

But, when we had our 25 wedding Aniversaty, we went to Bali (first time overseas, in a plane etc.)

I drank Bintang and actually liked it when drinking it there.

I just couldn't have a decent leak after a bottle or two so two bottles were always the upper limit. So my better half loved it too.

I really could not alse drink more than two normal bottles. Just so full of gas.

Got back here and tried some from our local liquor store in our neighbouring town and it tasted worse than the worst Pom beer I have tasted.

Anyway, I love Vic Beers here in Vic.

I love Wild Turkey and coke on certain occasions when I am not expected to do anything the following day.

Which drinks for you??

Then I won't ever post anything again about my tastes in beer unless I have been beer

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Most of the popular beers in Australia are (poorly)modelled on the European lager style brews.
Get yourself a six of any of the common Euro brews (Heineken, Amstel, Carlsberg etc) and try drinking an Aussie beer alonside it and then truthfully tell me which is the best....

VB, Tooheys, West End, XXXX et al.....all similar watery beers....and all chemical beers IMHO....lawnmower swills...after a hard day of shoving the Victa around you whack down a couple of these and all the world is good again.

If you want to taste beer as it should be try some of these: some of the Boags are good, all of the James Squires are good, most of the Coopers are good and the greater majority of the Euro lagers are excellent.
Also try the UK brews such as Guinness and Caffreys.

After a little more palate education you won't be going back to VB let me tell you (unless you've been pushing the lawnmower around Big Grin)

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like Groltch (sic)

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say this, i like Groltch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day All. VB? Not for nothing is it known as "green death!" How can you drink that swill? Boags, yes. James Squires, yes. Coopers, you bet!
"All beers are equal, but some beers are more equal than others!"
Give me naturally brewed Vs chemically brewed any day.
BTW, BBQ and Grilled emu? Goes very nicely with Coopers pale ale.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Never been a beer person (black sheep of the Baker clan Eeker). I will have one with the old man or my mate Gary after a hard days pig hunt but I'd much rather have a bourbon. Best tasting bourbon is Knobs Creek.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day. Yes Bakes, bourbon is not bad at all, but I would rather a nice single malt whiskey, or better yet a nice red. Preferably from the Barossa Valley. Say a nice Kies merlot or a Charles Melton syrah (shiraz). But since it is so bloody cold at the moment ( just got back from sitting under a tree, waiting for the deer to stick their heads out), I reckon a nice port might be the go!

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Craborundum.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
... better yet a nice red. Preferably from the Barossa Valley. ..... I reckon a nice port might be the go!

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Craborundum.

Dave

You are a man of great taste.

Forget the Vic Swill buckets known as VB, have the beer winemakers drink as a pre-dinner beer, Coopers (Pale Ale or Sparking Ale) and keep enjoying your reds. Barossa of course. Wink

Most of the beers you mention I found quite ordinary when I lived in Europe eg Heineken etc. I am amazed Steela Artois is marketed as a "premium" beer here. Swill.

I am not a beer conoisseur at all, but the best I had were from Czech on my last trip (2002) and the best I had 15 years ago came from a very small brewery in Fusen.

I agree with you about VB. The reason the Vics like it is because they compare it to Fosters and know no better.

Greybeardman

The local Asian beers can be palatial with the local foods, smells etc. I like Tsing-Tao (spelling?) with Chinese food in Hong Kong.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I've never been into wine or port either. Sometimes I feel I should give wine a go as it looks posh when ordering at a resturant, but I just can't stand the taste! So I drink bourbon and on a big night out when I need to freshen the palate I'll down a few Harvey Wall Bangers clap

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have downed my share of VB but after the past five weeks in SA I must also say that Coopers Pale Ale (no sparkling for me) sets up a full bodied Barossa or Coonawara very nicely. Had not noticed Coopers outside SA but it's been a great find.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day All. Nitrox, me, a man of great taste? Nah! Just a slob with an educated palate. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though!
Have fun on you safari north.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll give my vote to Boags but Nitrox is right on with that Czech beer - fantastic. And cheap in to the bargain.

On the harder stuff I cant go past a Bundy and dry.

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
http://www.speights.co.nz/

What more can I say

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yeah Tim - real blokes drink Speights. They have the best tv advertising too.....

I'm surprised Easy Rollins hasnt added to this thread , he would be the conneseuir of beer to go with pies... beer

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Yeah Tim - real blokes drink Speights.

Is Speights one of those beers you drink warm? bewildered

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Best tasting bourbon is Knobs Creek.

Absolutely! Knobs Creek is always sitting on my bar. It was on sale at one of the local store for $40 a 1.75 liter bottle last week. How does that compare to Australia? My favorite beer when down under is Cascade Premium Lager, which is not available here, and I like the picture of the tigers on the label too. I didn't know anyone still drank Harvey Wallbangers! Most bartenders here have forgot how to make them.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most of the beers you mention I found quite ordinary when I lived in Europe eg Heineken etc. I am amazed Steela Artois is marketed as a "premium" beer here.

Quite.
I just mentioned these as they are easily obtinable from your average corner bottle'o.

Find yourself some Pilsner Urquell if you can, the original pils. Talk about agressive hopping levels!...eye wateringly bitter.....
This is how lagers ought to be.

Also, if you get the chance, hit the Belgian Beer Cafe in Rundle street there and try some of the Chimay brews. The blue is my favourite.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I stirred up a fair few comments.

Personally, I just like beer.

Wild Turkey and Elisah James (Sic) are very nice.

But I honestly agree with most of what I have read above. VB and MB are not a sipper's beer. They tend to be the boys drink in a hurry ater work.

There is actually a farmer way out here in the hot plains of the Wimmera who has taken a big gamble and planted 50 acres of "grapes"; his son has told me their actual names but I don't retain some stuff.

Anway, he is producing two "boutique" (is that the right term) wines and the red is lovely. We had some a while ago and even though I don't drink wine usually, it went really well with the red meat (Nah!!! Atavar (sic), not corella, just beef)

Greybeard

one of us
Picture of morton3
posted Hide Post
Trackers NZ you got it, my wife & I visited your great country about 10 years ago & I really liked that speights you blokes drink over there.
As for VB it`s cats piss, absolutely vile stuff. A fella told me VB actually stands for Visitors Beer.
I much prefer the new stuff on the market, Carlton premium dry.
Just my thoughts !

cheers Morton

If it sounds too good to be true, It usually is !

Posts: 124 | Location: Newcastle Australia | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most bartenders here have forgot how to make them.

Yep sometimes I have to tell them Big Grin

Last time I saw knobs creek on a shelf was in Townsville, It was over $50 a 750ml bottle. Normally my budget won't allow the expensive stuff and I have to drink woodstock bawling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day All. Bakes, nothing wrong with woodstock, especially the stuff in the cans, while sitting around the fire, thawing out after chasing deer. They are also much less likely to break when driving along a rough track.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you blokes can get them, try Mexican beers. IMO they are the best. Germans taught the Mexicans to brew. Something they do down there is pour beer over ice and lime juice and rim a frozen mug with salt, called a Chilada. They sometimes add bloody bull mix to this concoction and call it a Michilada. Really quenches the thirst. Looking forward to visiting your grand country someday. G'day.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drew gets some imported beers whenever he is going out to a school party. He is nearly 18. Almost without fail, he says the next day he prefers to take mixed drinks based on bourbon.

Back when I was 18, very few of us drank the spirits but I respect his tastes. I trust him enormously and am glad that whenever he goes out, he doesn't always drink.

I used to, back in the early 70's.

It wasn't a fun night without grog.

I still love our music back from those days. Don McLean etc. But its funny. Many of Drew's mates hate heads banging rap (sic)