New
Find
Notify
Tools

First decent day of roaring for the year
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Its been pretty quiet on the roar front around here. Sporadic roars and hard to get onto anything.
My brother and I have been doing a lot of exploring anyway and yesterday we packed an inflatable into a river to explore and hunt some country and test out a couple of ideas.
Boating part done we climbed up onto some high terraces, gave a roar, and got an immediate response. Mike stayed back roaring and I crept in. Twenty minutes later I got a visual on the stags head and put a 270 round straight under his chin from 30 meters.

The shot caused another 3 or 4 stags to start up, and so I took up the roaring and a similar time later I heard a shot from Mike and he had one down too.
Not great heads, but was good fun and it allowed us to give the boat a decent test.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
good work Shanks.
Fallow should be croaking down my way. Going out on Sunday to check it out.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But it says, Fish Hunter" right on the boat! I'm surprised you brought anything back. Obviously the Kiwis are ahead of us Yanks when it comes to adaptability.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It chose its own pronouns.

Gryph will recognise this boat. Him and I took it down a white water river that it really wasn't designed for some years back.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yanks aren’t nearly as woke as Kiwis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My fenced Fallow are croaking but just silence in the bush. Red hinds grazing my neighbours paddock next to my house, much to her disgust. She phones me every time she sees them but I don't like to tell her I'm waiting for an easy stag. I will have to shoot a hind soon just to keep her sweet.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I see some sign here the fallow are getting active, but have not heard a croak yet. Its a weird year all over country with very mixed results.

One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
Steaks down good job boys

Posts: 124 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DManson:
Yanks aren’t nearly as woke as Kiwis.

Is that good or bad? It seems mostly now used pejoratively but originally came from a comparison with Rip van Winkel: he slept through but the smart (or patriotic?) ones woke up.

We have a similar concept here when people say they are "a wake-up" to some person/politician trying to pull a swifty.

Posts: 4950 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:

Gryph will recognise this boat. Him and I took it down a white water river that it really wasn't designed for some years back.

I wished I still had access to the short little video of that trip down the river. However room was tight with three hunters, three rifles and three heavy packs taking up every bit of space.
Thats good hunting when both members score,lots would give a knacker for a hunt like you and bro did. I see a distinct lack of veni in the vessel Shanks,stags a bit rank?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing mysterious about the accusation of being “woke”. My smart-ass remark referred to the boat being able to choose its own pronoun.

DManson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

I wished I still had access to the short little video of that trip down the river. However room was tight with three hunters, three rifles and three heavy packs taking up every bit of space.
Thats good hunting when both members score,lots would give a knacker for a hunt like you and bro did. I see a distinct lack of veni in the vessel Shanks,stags a bit rank?

They were a touch lean and smelly. But the backpacks behind the heads have the back legs and back steaks in them. Will mix with bacon and onion and make burger patties.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I can taste them from here mate,add some garlic too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

Did Tim have that video? It was a bloody fun end too a tough trip.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
He wouldn't have got it sent to him as the file was too large and I definitely didn't have a youtube acc in those days.

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Nothing like some quality time in the outdoors with your brother.

Which reminds me, I need to call mine right now.

Congrats guys, and thanks for the report Shankspony!

Posts: 2927 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Nice post, pics and hunting story! Thanks for posting Shanks.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers guys. Looks like that was the roar. Just too warm. But now a couple of weeks of work then duck shooting and Tahr hunting coming up.